• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Working on a new rear lightbar for KOH rigs or ?

heyok

I wanna be Dave
QdQqq56.jpg

Please have a look at the video (only 90 seconds long) and tell me what you think.

https://youtu.be/McpZXEAb184

I would really like some feedback.
Do you like the idea of how I made the reversing lights?
Is this something you would run on your rig?

I don't make it clear in the video, but this controller would plug in between your receiver and your ESC so that the controller could monitor the throttle position so that it would know when to show the brake and reverse lights.

Looks pretty sweet
It's the same as your current KOH controller?
I'm using it.
9df3c30947fad1c654155cf9296a75f0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think it's great, and the programming is about as perfect as it should be. The only change I'd make (if it's possible to do) is to increase the number of LEDs by one. That middle light would be more 'balanced' if it was 2 LEDs, instead of just 1...in other words, the entire lightbar would be 'balanced', with a "left half" & a "right half".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

An extra LED sounds like a good plan. Thank you for your feedback!
Most welcome. I might be an odd person, at times, but one of my "oddities" is liking things "even".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Thank you!
This one is about 97mm wide x 9mm deep x 17mm tall.
The mounting ears measure about 23mm back to front of the light bar.

Like I said, this is just a start. If there is a more "standard" set of dimensions, let me know and I will aim for that.

Will you have the lightbar available separately? You already made me the controller, sans reverse ouput.

Man, I made a mess of my original message—here’s the edit.

1) I wish my real-world work truck had a rear light bar as good as your design here. Awesome.

2) The rear amber thing:
I used to ride dirt bikes in areas where legit desert race trucks, buggies and bugs would test. I may have this wrong, but I’d recognize them from afar by a single rear facing amber that was always insanely bright, so as to be seen through heavy dust in overtaking. It’s been ten years or so, and that may be way off now. I remember that style of light because having one of those testing where we rode—-well, you give them a reeeely wide berth, lol. Like maybe stop riding for a while.
Anyway, all that is to say “I feared the yellow light of my youth”, lol. Happy Thanksgiving and forgive the aimless rambling.

Last edited:
Please ignore this for this for any legit feedback, but you’ve already made that waaaay cooler than anything on our 1:1 fire rigs. And it looks like you’ve got the “most bright” reversing action covered for RC functionality. My assumption down here in the land of Race-Dezert is having a single-to-triple LED always on-on, rear facing amber for specs in the scale off-road scene, FWIW.

Old school used to be Solid blue.... Did they change it recently?

Love the light bar action.

Will you have the lightbar available separately? You already made me the controller, sans reverse ouput.

The controller you have is very different than the one I am developing for this new lightbar. The difference is that the new light bar only uses three wires to operate the entire string of LEDs. The controller on the original style KOH controller I made uses a wire run to each LED.

That just means that I could design a lightbar for the old-style controller, but once again, I want to ask you guys for your help! Can you give me a sketch showing me what you would like for dimensions and layout? Do you prefer 3mm or 5mm LEDs?

Thanks!

Please ignore this for this for any legit feedback, but you’ve already made that waaaay cooler than anything on our 1:1 fire rigs. And it looks like you’ve got the “most bright” reversing action covered for RC functionality. My assumption down here in the land of Race-Dezert is having a single-to-triple LED always on-on, rear facing amber for specs in the scale off-road scene, FWIW.
Hey, thanks - I understood the waaay cooler part ;) and that you like the reverse lighting. Not sure about the rest.
Old school used to be Solid blue.... Did they change it recently?

Love the light bar action.
Thanks!
I really don't know what is required in the real world, only that recently I've been asked to make a double flash with blue and amber.
Looks cool like that to me, but if you guys would prefer it to match some spec in the real world, let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Do you prefer 3mm or 5mm LEDs?
Considering the overall width would be different, as 14 3mm LEDs would be much narrower than 14 5mm LEDs, why not produce both versions. The 3mm LED version would for narrower vehicles, such as buggies, while the 5mm LED version would fit wider vehicles, such as pickups & SUVs.

For the "small" version, check the width (from the inside of the cage, just under the roof-line, at the rear of the cockpit) of such vehicles as the Capra, Twin Hammers, Wraith, Rock Rey, Jeep Wrangler, etc. As for the "large" version, overall widths are probably very similar in most vehicles (Bronco, F-150, Hilux, D-110, etc), so an average of any of them should do.

i think a led light whip would be way cooler than the reds and blues
the red and.blue flashing lights are getting out of hand and just look stupid on the trail
I appreciate your input.
Help me out. What do you mean by a "led light whip"?

Back