• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Whats your favorite solder diameter?

cloudswimmer

Quarry Creeper
After 20 years I finally ran out of solder, went to Amazon to order some, and am not sure what diameter I've been using or to order. What is your favorite diameter rosin core solder for soldering connectors, etc. on your rc rigs? And is 60/40 still the standard these days?

Thanks,
Chris

I will tell you multicore.
97c9f272406aceffdc4bd3cf50dbaa33.jpg

.032 but use solder about the wire diameter your working with.

Hang up and Drive

Get 63/37 solder. It tends to "harden" quicker and you are less likely to create a cold/bad solder joint.

If you are only soldering big battery/motor leads. Get something like .050" diameter wire. If you are doing smaller wires or through hole pcb soldering, .031" is a good diameter. If you are doing surface mount soldering then .015" works good.

I would recommend Kester 44, But I think the smalles size is a 1lb spool that will probably last you several lifetimes. Here is it in .050 diameter
https://www.amazon.com/Kester-24-6040-0053-Solder-0-050-Diameter/dp/B00068IJQI

I also would highly recommend getting a flux pen, such as the one linked below. Dab abit of flux onto your connections before soldering and it will make life so much easier.
https://www.amazon.com/Kester-Solde...&sr=8-1&keywords=186+Rosin+Soldering+Flux+Pen

Around .030 works well. I recommended the multicore as I never needed extra flux with it on my service bench. I like .015, for small(32g) wires and boards.

Hang up and Drive

Thin is in! I like Kester .031" in the 63/37 variety.

I don't solder circuit boards so I don't see the need for thinner nor do I see the need for thicker.

Get 63/37 solder. It tends to "harden" quicker and you are less likely to create a cold/bad solder joint.

If you are only soldering big battery/motor leads. Get something like .050" diameter wire. If you are doing smaller wires or through hole pcb soldering, .031" is a good diameter. If you are doing surface mount soldering then .015" works good.

I would recommend Kester 44, But I think the smalles size is a 1lb spool that will probably last you several lifetimes. Here is it in .050 diameter
https://www.amazon.com/Kester-24-6040-0053-Solder-0-050-Diameter/dp/B00068IJQI

I also would highly recommend getting a flux pen, such as the one linked below. Dab abit of flux onto your connections before soldering and it will make life so much easier.
https://www.amazon.com/Kester-Solde...&sr=8-1&keywords=186+Rosin+Soldering+Flux+Pen

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendations! I've never used used flux in my life, but have seen a couple RC channels that recommend it. So you use this flux pen even though your using rosin core solder? I've always just tinned both halves of what needs to join together .. applied the tip .. add a little solder wire .. and wa la done.

I use 60/40 1/16" rosin core. I still use a flux pen to add a little extra to the wires. Works great across the variety of wire sizes I run across in RC.

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendations! I've never used used flux in my life, but have seen a couple RC channels that recommend it. So you use this flux pen even though your using rosin core solder? I've always just tinned both halves of what needs to join together .. applied the tip .. add a little solder wire .. and wa la done.

Clearly your getting good connections without it, and I have too using the rosin core stuff.

But using alittle flux, it can really only help.

Hi,

Yes, I use additional flux on everything I solder. Most stuff I use the flux pen I linked above. Sometimes a flux syringe if I need alot of flux or something abit more tacky.

You can make good connections with just solder. The Rosin Core is flux. But you have to first melt the solder to get to it.

Flux is used to clean the connection. By applying some beforehand , it will clean the joint the moment you apply heat to it (Soldering Iron) and it will soak up solder like a sponge much quicker. This makes soldering quicker, easier, and probably a better joint....You'll also transfer much less heat to the wires/components so less likely to melt a connector or burn your fingers while holding the wires.

I still recommend tinning both halves first. Apply flux to both halves, tin both halves, then solder together.

Also, if you ever have to re-heat a joint. Instead of goobering more solder on, just wipe it down with the flux pen and it will reflow great.

I use the thinnest solder I can get. Not sure if it's 1mm or 1/16", but it's somewhere in that vicinity. Needless to say, in such a small size there isn't much room for a flux core, but there is a little, and most of the time a little is all I need; if I need more flux I slop some on from a tub of gel flux, then I clean off the excess with Goof Off solvent.

I use 3%-silver solder. I see no reason to use silverless solder, since I have a soldering iron that runs hot enough to melt the 3%-silver stuff without difficulty.

I used to have a hard time soldering when I was younger. Then I was introduced to flux and holy cow it's amazing lol. Not I can actually solder well but using flux still makes things easier. Especially thicker wire that tends to not stick together well. I also use smaller solder all the time not sure which size for sure tho. I was told a while back when I used to build my own nimh battery packs that silver solder is more conductive. Used it when making batteries but haven't really used it since back when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still recommend tinning both halves first. Apply flux to both halves, tin both halves, then solder together.

Ok so I found some short lengths of Kester 44 63/37 on ebay. I ordered a pack of .050 and .31. So for Deans connectirs the thicker of the two correct? And does the flux in the flux pen leave a sticky residue? If so will Isopropyl Alcohol remove it? Thanks again "thumbsup"

I've been using .032 on my deans just have to use more [emoji53]flux leaves a little residue but it'll wash off easy enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I found some short lengths of Kester 44 63/37 on ebay. I ordered a pack of .050 and .31. So for Deans connectirs the thicker of the two correct? And does the flux in the flux pen leave a sticky residue? If so will Isopropyl Alcohol remove it? Thanks again "thumbsup"

Yes, the pen can leave a sticky residue. Yes Isopropyl Alcohol will remove it. But it's not a corrosive residue, so it doesn't need to be cleaned.

Yea, I'd use the thicker stuff for deans...either would work but you won't have to feed as much with the thicker stuff.

I like the thin stuff (.030) for pretty much everything. It's small enough to give me good control on servo extensions and such, but even for bigger wires I like the fine control it gives me when loading up the joint. If I were soldering on Deans connectors or working with 10 gauge wire every day I would buy the bigger solder to keep from having to pull more out of the package during the process, but the thin stuff works fine for the 4-5 connectors a year that I solder on.

Back