• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10?

Hey guys been busy with the holidays, haven't gotten time to play with the K5. Called my LHS here and offered me the Savox 1210 steel gear (278oz-in) for ~66USD and the 0231 metal gear (208oz-in) for ~38USD. The solar D772 though cheaper, will have to be shipped since I'm not based in the US.

Some issues I noticed running the Ascender, there's a faint clicking sound when wheels are turned at half to full throttle. I read that some gear or the cv joints might be binding within the front axle. Will I need to replace these with HD parts?

Last edited:
Go with the cheaper Savox it will be fine in ascender and shouldn't need bec.

For clicking, do you have HD gears in yours? Check they are shimmed properly, based. Wipe grime off cvds, check they are in phase, put drop off oil on each, work it in and enjoy. My Ascenders are both doing fine. :)

Just an update guys, got the savox 0231 earlier and it finally solved the uneven steering issue. It's a noisier but overall performance is way ahead of the stock Spektrum S605. Haven't installed a BEC but it hasn't blacked out in my indoor testing just yet. I still plan on installing one just in case. Clicking sounds are still there, probably my next assignment besides the battery plate.
89d5ad6b52ccb1e8264d1c917b72181f.jpg

Last edited:
Back