• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Vaterra Ascender or Axial SCX10?

So update guys, disassembled the servo horn and realigned it, only needs around 45 degrees trim adjustment now to center. Steering angle is still biased to the right when tires are on the ground but when lifted, both sides hit the stoppers.
When steered to the left while reversing though, I can get the full steering angle. I couldn't quite get the perfect alignment since I might strip the horn when adjusting.

Stock servo?

Stock servo is a Spektrum S605 9kg, 23T metal gear waterproof. Is there a recommended way to adjust the horn like a horn removal tool or something?

Last edited:
I'm using a Yokomo servo horn and it hits the tie rod limiting up travel. Does anybody else have this problem?

I'm using a Yokomo servo horn and it hits the tie rod limiting up travel. Does anybody else have this problem?

I have the same problem with a big clamp-on style horn now that I have shocks that will let the suspension cycle that far. I just got a new one in the mail yesterday that's a lot thinner around the splines...hopefully it will clear.

Lots of good used ones around my first SCX 10 was three in parts guy getting out of hobby I have no regrets there cause I can drive it like it's yours lol and got da parts. Used man look around first and my two cents is BUILD MAN!!! Don't buy.....any kind

Way too weak! That servo is only about 125oz. of torque...you want at least a 250oz. servo.

X2. There are a several good options out there. I've had very good experience on 1.9 rigs with the Savox 1210 and RC4WD Twister Ultimate High Performance Waterproof Servo. Both have 270+ oz-inch (plenty strong for a 1.9) with good speed, are waterproof out of the box, are reasonably priced ($75-82 retail), and have taken plenty of abuse with no issues.

I was thinking of sticking with the stock stuff first see where it gets me since I'm just a casual. Just pimp the shell with a snorkel, roof rack and some other scale accessories. Maybe paint the wheels also but seems like its glued to the tires, not sure if that's gonna be an issue.

I'll be ordering an aluminum battery tray from BPC and servo horn first see if I can manage this left steer issue. Any alu 23T horn will fit this spektrum S605 right? If I move the horn another tooth to the left and it overshoots, it's most likely centered now and the servo just can't pull the links all the way with wheels down. That's probably when I'll splurge for a stronger servo, then again the stock ESC might not handle the power?
9298549b61bb5a229351bb78aebaf48c.jpg

Last edited:
Any alu 23T horn will fit this spektrum S605 right? If I move the horn another tooth to the left and it overshoots, it's most likely centered now and the servo just can't pull the links all the way with wheels down. That's probably when I'll splurge for a stronger servo, then again the stock ESC might not handle the power?

Yes on the horn. When you do move up to a more powerful servo, you will want to run it from a separate BEC. You can also use the BEC in conjunction with the Holmes Hobbies bypass adapter so all the volts from the BEC go direct to the servo instead of filtered through the Rx.

Looks good, part of the problem is RTR cheap radio without EPA etc. therefore you can't adjust end point travel left and right independently of each other. You've adjusted it as best you can for on the ground running conditions, just enjoy it now, when you are ready to buy a new radio, then this can be dealt with. :)

So the horn seems to be as close to center as possible, one more tooth left overshoots the steering to the left off-ground. The servo just doesn't have enough power to pull the links left. I also noticed how the servo was not aligned with the body. In any case, I doubt realigning this would solve my steering issue.
0902656b76cbefc5f624d62c37e13ab5.jpg

Any feedback on the flysky GT3C 3-channel, it has independent end point adjustments and another channel for a winch servo. So upgrade the tx/rx, servo, add a BEC, then use the stock S605 as a winch servo?

Last edited:
I have 2 hacked GT3Cs and like them very much. Nice feature set (easy to add 2-speed and a winch down the road), great display, very comfortable in hand, and reasonably priced. I would get the hacked version because it supports up to 8 channels (you probably won't use that many, but the fourth channel is a plus) and has some additional programming features. Helios RC (vendor here) sells them.

So I've decided to push through with the upgrades. I need a waterproof servo with decent enough torque, BEC, aluminum horn. Can you guys recommend the parts and where to source them preferrably online from one site? Looking at a budget of around 50 to 60usd for all. I'm gonna have it shipped to a friend in California since I'm not from the US. Parts here are way to expensive

Last edited:
That's going to be tough on a $60 budget, unless you buy used. The BEC will run $20 and a decent horn will be 5-10, leaving only $30-35 for a WP servo. There aren't any WP servos at that price that I'd spend my money on. If you can bring your total budget to $100, you can get the Savox 1210 or RC4WD Waterproof Twister (75-80 retail). If not, you might be better off with something like the Solar D772 ($30 shipped, 400+ oz-in, plenty of happy users on here) and do your own waterproofing.

Just saw that solar D772 and looks it will fit the bill. I also read users not needing a BEC with the Quicrun 1060 which is essentially the stock ESC of the RTR, just rebranded. Please correct any misinformation I've gathered.

Last edited:
Just saw that solar D772 and looks it will fit the bill. I also read users not needing a BEC with the Quicrun 1060 which is essentially the stock ESC of the RTR, just rebranded. Please correct any misinformation I've gathered.

Might be fine, try it and see if it gets brown out or esc gets hot. ESC is only $20 esc so not much to lose.

You really want to use one to take the load off of the esc. The servo at times can overload the esc's bec and smoke the esc...your day of fun is done.

Good points.

Back