• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Trail Honcho kit motor / esc combo

The drag brake was fixed by Castle several firmware updates ago. So now all controllers new and old benefit when updated to the latest software.

The last Sidewinder software update was in May and that is what I currently have on my controller. Drag brake is still sub par. If you use a 55t motor it is better than with my 35t but as I mentioned. This is in a comp crawler. A scale rig I'm sure will have different characteristics and may be better. Just stating that as a comparison the Crawler has a much better drag brake while the Sidewinder is a much more flexible ESC.

There are more recent updates than that. This was addressed by Patrick DelCastillo on RCM a couple of months ago.

Well, if the most recent is what you can get from Castle using the CastleLink as of about a month ago, then I stand behind my original post. I did aquire a difference in strength quite a few months ago but as it stands, Novak>Sidewinder drag brake. The BEC output is better with the Novak as well. With the Novak, an external BEC isn't necessarily necessary with a mild servo and a scale rig. Sidewinder will suffer a little. My wife uses the Novak with a Hitec 645 and no external BEC. When I had the same servo with the Sidewinder it severly lost torque under motor load and vice versa. Loading the servo would cause motor cut out. As I said previously, a scale rig will have different characteristics due to less stress and sheer mass. I keep my stuff up to date according to the manufaturers sites. Just giving an unbiased opinion of the 2 for the person inquiring.

Don't know about the sidewinder but the MMM can hold my 15lb LST2 at a dead stop on a 45 degree angle. The MM held my SCX10 on a 45 as well. You can pick up a nice used MM pretty cheap right now since the release of the MM pro which I would do over the sidewinder anyday. A little more cash and you can pick up the MM Pro which will run brushed as well as sensored and sensorless brushless.

I have both a Rooster crawler and a sidewinder. I think the drag brak on the rooster is alot stronger than the drag brake on the sidewinder. I use the sidewinder in a worm drive axled crawler so its weaker drag brake doesn't matter, but before when I had it in an axial axled crawler I found that it would let the rig roll easier than the Rooster.
That said I think your motor is going to have an effect on the drag brake as well. I think I've noticed that with a 55t motor on my rooster the drag was alot stronger than when I put a 21t motor on it. Could just be my imagination but thats kind of the feeling I got.

neverdun:....I don't like having a drag brake on my scale truck for general running around, but for entering a scale comp you would still want drag brake because you get penalized for reverses just like you do in the 2.2 comps.

Somebody mentioned the Rooster crawler not fitting into the electronics box of an SCX10 and that is true, BUT, the rooster is claimed to be water resistant. Me being the kind of guy that always has to push things to the breaking point went ahead and mounted my Rooster on the chassis of my scx10 with no protection whatsoever and I've had the thing in mud, snow, water numerous times and have never had a drop of water get inside the case. When I say I've had it in water I mean fully submerged driving/floating around for 5+ minutes.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Me being the kind of guy that always has to push things to the breaking point went ahead and mounted my Rooster on the chassis of my scx10 with no protection whatsoever and I've had the thing in mud, snow, water numerous times and have never had a drop of water get inside the case. When I say I've had it in water I mean fully submerged driving/floating around for 5+ minutes.
I hope this helps.
I can verify that:lol:

But the rooster crawler cant handle a 3cell lipo huh? if it did the rooster would of been #1 choice but im tryin 2 find something with good drag brake and can handle 3s.

btw since its not as wanted 2 run dragbrake in scale rigs wouldent the sidewinders full drag brake be good 4 this scale truck since its not as strong of a drag brake?

How about the Tekin FXR 45T combo's? For about $115 on tower it seems to be a good deal. Also I think MSD has them for $99.

I'm thinking of the Tekin for myself only with the 45T. Price is right and from what I've heard it seems to be a great system.

I'm thinking of the Tekin for myself only with the 45T. Price is right and from what I've heard it seems to be a great system.

same here, i wonder how fast the 35t will go in mph...? any1 have an idea? also would it be worth it 2 buy the hand wound pro motor from tekin??

I have the tekin as well and like it, I just prefer the programming on the Castle ESC's. I would pick the Tekin over the Novak anyday for sure though.

after starting this thread & reading all the posts (thanks for the info guys!) I'm really considering the Tekin FXR / 35t combo for $100.00 from stormer. Thanks for all the facts.

Here is the software history for the Castle products.
http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/srh-castle_link.html

I am running the 3.19v that allows running the drag brake at 128% which was a big improvement over the previous versions. I am running a CC sidewinder with an cheap Integy 35T motor and a CCBEC. I will agree the Sidewinder will not hold the rig on an incline, but a little roll and some opposite throttle inputs makes things more manageable. I have used the Goat and a Rooster setups in the past. One thing I disliked about them is when just the slightest amount of forward or reverse throttle that is applied while on an incline, all that wonderful hold brake goes out the door and it is almost as if the rig is freewheeling.

after starting this thread & reading all the posts (thanks for the info guys!) I'm really considering the Tekin FXR / 35t combo for $100.00 from stormer. Thanks for all the facts.

that right there is what i was lookin at 2!! buttttt they have the pro motor 4 that combo but its like 40 bux more, i wonder what the difference is...???

I have had a tekin fxr with a 35T in my scx10 for a few months. No problems. Tons of power with 3s, and if I want to adjust anything, I dont need to attach it to the comp to change the settings. If I need more Drag Brake, then I just take the body off and change it.

It has been a wonderfull esc, and with the 35t and 3s lipo, it has tons of speed aswell.

I have a tekin Rebel that is about 10 years old:shock:, and it works great aswell, also running on 3s Lipo(with a seperate cutoff).

Drunk

I only plan and want a little bit more speed then walking speed ran on 2s. What do you think would be better for that, 35T or 45T?

Back