• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Tommy's Big Willy

Hey Tommy, just a heads up, I lost a bead on one of my wheels last night in a short run. Everything was seated well and tight but I think I took too much off when I tapered the insides of the ring. I need to find some 2.2's with 14mm hexes. Done with these stamped wheels.

Thanks for the heads up, Darin! I got some parts in recently that will help me continue with the build. So hopefully I'll have it running and can see how these beads hold up!

I think I'm going to have to nickname this rig. For some reason I'm thinking "Hammer Time" would be a good one.....

IMG2108-L.jpg

The "Willy Hammer"? Oww...nooo!!!! Love these Willys builds, Im tempted to try one out one day!

Matt

Tommy......................................................you're my hero!!!:mrgreen:

BTW, truck looks good....now get some video!"thumbsup"

Bout time for an update Tommy?

Yeah, it's time. :) I've just been so wrapped up with racing my short course truck and then getting my Wraith up and running that I've been neglecting Hammer's Jeep! I should have a worthwhile update for it within the next week, though...

You need Vanquish to make you some fully polished wheels with $$$ signs machined in the spokes for this build....

You need Vanquish to make you some fully polished wheels with $$$ signs machined in the spokes for this build....

No way, home slice. Hammer's broke these days. He can't afford that kinda bling! He'll get steelies and be damn happy about it!! :ror:

What's the wheelbase on this, I'm doing a 21st century wily's build atm and would be interested to see if there is a size difference. Looking good btw, I cant wait to finish mine and wheel the s#@t out of it.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have more updates after I get some other projects wrapped up.

Hi Tommy

If the wheels/pvc did not work for you. Boy if I was rc4wd I would be :oops:. Send those aluminum tubes to me with the info as to how much to remove. I have a lathe. PM me and I will send you my address.

Sweet build. Great flatty to start with.

Evan

Last edited:
Evan,

Wow, I definitely appreciate the offer! "thumbsup" So far, I think the current setup will work okay with the PVC, but if not I'll be sure to contact you.

Thanks again!
Tommy

Well, here it is Christmas day. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the trip home to Louisiana this holiday so I find myself hanging around the house, drinking some good coffee, and watching A Christmas Story in front of a roaring fire while I make the best of things. Then it dawns on me... I could be working on Hammer Time!

Okay, truth be told, I started tinkering with it last week, but I'm hoping to make a bit more progress today. So here's a loooooong overdue update. Can't touch this!

Here's a rough outline of the servo placement. It's pretty far forward because I need to leave room for a panhard bar behind the "pitman" arm. Yep, I decided to just "do it once, do it right" and the Willys is getting a proper 3-link and track bar right off the bat.
IMG2755-L.jpg

Front view. I'll likely have the tie rod under the knuckles and bend it around the pumpkin so I can max out the steering.
IMG2753-L.jpg

Front axle placement. It's only got lower links right now. Still need to work out the upper link for final placement.
IMG2751-L.jpg

Here it is mocked up near the ultimate ride height and wheelbase. Right now it's sitting right at 12.5". I'm curious how this stacks up compared to the other Willys builds out there? :)
IMG2750-L.jpg

The front links turned out substantially shorter than the rears. It's okay, though. I wanted long rear lowers to help reduce rear axle steer as the 4-link/Y-link cycles. I was hoping for longer links up front, but I think it'll be fine. For the time being I'm running 70mm lower links up front. I think I'm running 98mm rear lowers.

Now it's time to figure out a servo mount which will also double as the track bar and front bumper mount.

Back