• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Tommy's Big Willy

Right on, good to see you got it out!...looking good. Sorry to hear about the flaming ESC.:mrgreen:....burnt electronics never smell good....its like the smell of burning money.:lmao::mrgreen:

BTW, hammer looks like he had a good time.:)

Thanks, J! I've started working on Hammer Time a bit more again and will try to post up a couple pics tonight. It's nearly time to disassemble, do some body work, and build the cage. And then it'll finally be ready for some paint! 8)

Came home for lunch so I uploaded a couple pics. Body armor is nearly done. It still needs some minor trimming to match the outline of the body better, but I'm very pleased with it. The heads of the 2-56 screws are a little big, but not too bad...

IMG3043-L.jpg

IMG3045-L.jpg

IMG3044-L.jpg

Hmmm.... Something smells fishy. I decided to mount up my RC4WD Baja Claws and ran into the same problem. I can understand if the Pro-Lines don't fit as they should, but shouldn't an RC4WD tire fit properly? There's nearly a 1/4" gap if I push the rim halves together. I wonder if I just got a freak set of wide wheel inserts??
IMG1960-L.jpg

On a bright note, I picked up some Traxxas yokes from the LHS and the set screw dowel thingie worked great. The dowel is a snug fit into the Disruptor's shaft and the threads mate up perfectly with the MIP bits. "thumbsup"
IMG1959-L.jpg

Where did you get that set screw that goes all the way through for the mip shafts

The Willys is Lookin great though btw. Do you mind making me a set of the qtr panels? :) those are awesome

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey Tommy, You got any more work done on this Willys?

No, I sure haven't. I'm trying to build a C2 and am rebuilding my C1 truck, not to mention racing, too. So the Willys is still hanging around waiting on some bodywork, paint, a cage, a rear bumper, and some detail work. :oops:

I figured it got put on hold. I just started working on a Tamiya YJ to TJ conversion that got shelved over a year ago, so I totally understand. :ror:

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news. First, the good news. I finally started working on the Willys again! I built a basic 6 point cage for it. It's pretty simply, but I really like it! Gave it a coat of satin black, but I think white might look really cool, too. It'd match the wheels great! And you can also see that I finished the trim work on the corner protection and now they follow the body contours perfectly. Really pleased with how they came out!

20130622_232117-L.jpg

In this pic you can see how I bent the front down bars just slightly to match the shape of the firewall and windshield.
20130622_232203-L.jpg

With the windshield folded down you can see the dash bar pretty easily. I wanted it high enough to be seen, but not too high.
20130622_232217-L.jpg

Now for the bad news. As of tomorrow the Willys will no longer be mine. :cry: A friend down here in Texas is picking it up and it's going into very good hands. I'm really sad to see it go (especially since I finally got the cage done), but I don't run it hardly ever and it'll be nice to see it finally get the attention it deserves. Regardless, this thing has so many of my man hours in it, it's going to be really difficult to see it go away. :cry:

I'll let the new owner decide if they want to post up and/or take over this build thread. But rest assured it's going to a good dude... "thumbsup"

Looks good man. Bummer are getting rid of it. You going to build another?

Thanks! Unfortunately, I probably won't. It may not look like it, but there's a ridiculous amount of man hours in this rig. Not sure I have it in me to do another. Maybe if a bunch of locals get large scale rigs one day I'll consider it, but right now everyone around here is more into "Class Zero" rigs, i.e. milder than Class 1 scalers. And I like 'em, too. :mrgreen:

What better way to break in a new rig than to take it on a long trail run!

First a bit of suspension tuning and new foams in the tires.

Then, I needed to make sure I had some air for afterward...
P1060866_zps820c8eb5.jpg

Now off we go!
P1060869_zps23f21761.jpg

P1060875_zps119d2c54.jpg

P1060873_zps6a77bfb6.jpg

P1060870_zpsad599872.jpg

P1060871_zps66558c63.jpg

There's also a video of this truck crossing a two story gorge on a fallen tree (well, going out to the end of the tree, then backing back to land)...:lol:

This truck is big, it's slow, but it is a freaking wheeling machine!! "thumbsup"

Back