• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thloftus’ SCX10 II father’s day build

First bit of carnage this weekend. Step one: truck takes a full immersion swim in the creek after crazy kid drivers almost make it across a narrow bridge. Followed by parent rescue with (I promise) no swearing and only textbook-correct parent words. Turns out the electronics are actually waterproof, at least for a few minutes, which is nice to see. The receiver case was also almost completely dry when I opened it later.

I thought that would be it for the day, but a few minutes later we had step two: rear axle case randomly splits in half near one of the shock/link mounts while the kids were driving in some bark. I guess the fastener holes for the shock mounts are a weak point since there was minimal abuse going on in the moment.

Here’s the truck right after the swim / axle breakage. Interesting angles for the rear wheels, lol! The grass cleaned off nicely with a quick rinse and compressed air.
b8f3e96f4ba91680a669285a7e48a9fa.jpg

Here’s some close-ups of the rear axle:
b3785e2deb86865f3629ea46a7a7f8fa.jpg

96e63b4a3bbde6e8d3aa39e3ddcb064f.jpg

The axle didn’t fare so well either
b1affa6cbeef1a26850c599ad6676eb7.jpg

The locker looked fine when we opened up the case.

So now we have new goodies on the way: SSD Pro44 rear axle case and Vanquish chromoly axle shafts. I’m excited to see the SSD axle cases and how they perform; they look like a great deal and a nice balance of strength and weight! RPP was coincidentally having a 15% off sale this weekend, so maybe it was all fated to work out this way, [emoji106]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
wow, quite some damage there.:shock:

No doubt, and I was hoping the first breaks would come from a more glorious moment that bark driving, lol!

That's crazy. And why I hate Axial plastics...

I was surprised. The new plastic seemed much better relative to my v1 G6 but it’s apparently brittle. The wall thickness for the axle (easy to measure now, lol!) is around 0.14” - would probably be decent except for the fastener holes. I think we’re on the unusual side, though, since I haven’t seen this failure in other threads.

One bonus is we’re back to wrenching. I was starting to look at other kits ... the Rock Rey looks like a great deal and we haven’t tried a Losi kit yet!

Last edited:
The SSD Pro44 axle cases arrived late last week. The parts are nicely made; great idea to combine a nylon center housing with metal axle tubes. Here’s the housing before we got started
ae0f69500d989f9adb6d2c55d91bc63b.jpg

Along with the Vanquish axle shafts
e00221eacc2f2695b3065ee10405dd7b.jpg

We re-used the stock gears, bearings, and lower link / shock mounts. The axle housing fit together well with impressive tolerances for the center housing / tubes and the bearing retainers for the gears. Here’s the partially assembled SSD axle resting on the stock corpse
29582b200bcc72979c52b04f0930a7a8.jpg

It’s important to seat the pinion gear completely, otherwise you end up with a pepper grinder. I used a hex driver threaded through the mounting hole for the drive shaft to pull the pinion into place. Smooth as butter at that point. I had some spare 2 mm scale hex bolts, so we used these for the diff cover; happy with the way it looks!
e883a4fc06f08a37dbc6df071b3b12b7.jpg

We added some Locked Up RC scale hubs that I had leftover from another build to the rear wheels. We used lock tight to secure them in place. Guess I’ll have to buy their hub tool now, Lol!
562bec852a1f9ac5c3051050d8116ddf.jpg

Here’s the axle mounted on the truck during a backyard test drive.
b066d0c156e4a3a17268f47a27738630.jpg

Everything was going great at this point, so we returned to curb jumping
519e2893f012175556679134a9ee1706.png

And some crawling in the green space across the street. It crawled over this high curb like it wasn’t there - impressed with the ability of this truck to tackle tall obstacles!
1c3467ccb0b9ba3d7dd4d56d81cd6e97.png

Sadly the joy didn’t last. After roughly 30 min of glory we found the next week spot and busted the Panhard mount at the base of the shock tower. Does interesting things to the steering when the trackbar is no longer attached. Note the broken plastic next to the shock, :shock:!
5aad57414d2c7014c4acfa3b01977638.jpg

So we’re back to waiting for parts. We’re going to try the Xtra Speed aluminum front shock towers (includes the Panhard mount). They’re inexpensive, have a double sheer mount for the trackbar, are made from a decent grade of aluminum, and look nice. I couldn’t bring myself to spend the $65 required for shock mounts from other vendors, even though they include all four corners - hopefully we’re not just flushing $15 for paper weights ...

Last edited:
The Xtra Speed aluminum shock towers arrived and we installed them yesterday. It was a nice afternoon, so we took the repairs outside and used the patio furniture for a workbench. The packing for the towers is nice, with a separate space for each one so they don’t ding each other.
57b1226d5797f148a14b8be19d1ec8b2.jpg

The towers are well made and closely match the design for the stock towers, aside from the Panhard mount, which I think is more stout on the Xtra Speed part
79594ea53c5d10c65f6cca5ce220ad77.jpg

Here’s the passenger side tower installed on the truck. The installation was easy and the part fit perfectly
7c91e16d55eb7cb46f87af8fd22586af.jpg

Here’s the driver’s side, also a perfect fit. I hope the aluminum is reasonable quality; we’ll find out soon enough if my kids are able to bend them up, Lol!
f70d4813ff9d4a5f3d8d44ef1e874723.jpg

2de13262ef23e35e6ab051939a839c39.heic

There was a small conflict between the Panhard and the servo arm (we’re using an Axial aluminum arm) that limited the steering range. The conflict was easy to fix by adding spacers under the servo. 1.5 mm spacers were enough. Here’s a picture of one of them on the end of our 5/64 driver
74c2ce381f07bb8a5cf2ebd97ec31311.jpg

If you use this trick, be careful to not raise the servo too much; at 3 mm, the arm runs into the frame rails.

Last edited:
good luck with the new parts. I had to raise my servo too, i used m4 washers.

I bet this comes up for a lot of us. The clearance window for the servo horn and Panhard mount is only a few mm in either direction. I’m happy that we had spacers with the right width laying around. Every time this happens, I think about how I should put together some magically organized and perfectly stocked parts bin - but then the problem passes and so it goes, Lol!

Last edited:
We took the trucks crawling at Addenbrooke park, which is south of us in Lakewood, CO. The park is recommended on the Crawlerado crawling atlas in the RCC regional section
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/colorado/91673-crawlerado-crawling-atlas.html
The park has some nice crawling rocks on one end of a pond with fantastic views and a stream. Awesome day to be outside, with mild temperatures (for here) and clear skies. We had a great time crawling on the rocks and testing out the new hardware on the SCX10 II.
c6f85313fe05dc6e9f23397d89051694.jpg

d1ba41fcc207bc23908e3c14cb1765cf.jpg

fed425811fabd825f09b620a3386319c.jpg

86958254dfc74cdfa982d5cc63a52f38.jpg

The truck did really well, although we’re up to round 3 carnage, this time the front bumper, which snapped clean off at the rail mount after a gentle hit off a slightly tall rock. Rough times for the Axial plastic, :shock:! The break is across one set of mounting holes
812f38d1d8666a79acd9779b5f78ae8c.jpg

e04a8e5854a64811751d852dd3501336.jpg

I had coincidentally just watched a video about bumper options for the SCX10 II.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0Hytm13mE
I didn’t expect to make use of the suggestions so soon, but here we are, [emoji106]! We’re going with the Axial AX80039a bumper.
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax80039a.htm
It seems like a decent compromise between cost / function / looks and includes light buckets. Still Axial plastic, but it can be mounted up against the body, so hopefully it’s better protected than the stock “cantilevered plank” bumper. We’ll find out, Lol! Nice weekend for replacement parts given all the Labor Day sales.

I have the SSD bumper in the video on my v1 truck, btw, and it’s fantastic!

Last edited:
i love AddenBrook; left lakewood 2 years ago for St George UT. long drive down from Arvada . Bonus, you can just hop over to BundCaks R Us for a bite.
Is the water level down low enough to get on the rocks near the water?[/QUOTE

Rats, how soon we forget (being old is a PIA). Adenbrook is right there at Alameda (sort of ) and Garrison. I was thinking of the park further south on Kipling; also a nice place.

i love AddenBrook; left lakewood 2 years ago for St George UT. long drive down from Arvada . Bonus, you can just hop over to BundCaks R Us for a bite.
Is the water level down low enough to get on the rocks near the water?[/QUOTE

Rats, how soon we forget (being old is a PIA). Adenbrook is right there at Alameda (sort of ) and Garrison. I was thinking of the park further south on Kipling; also a nice place.

No worries, it's parental moments for me, mostly driven by lack of sleep, strained patience, or the shock-and-awe tactics of my kids, Lol! The one we went to is on South Kipling Parkway; there's some additional pictures in post 19 on the Crawlerado Crawling Atlas. Do you have a link to BundCaks R Us? Would be fun to try sometime!

The new bumper arrived. It comes with some other goodies, including light buckets / covers and a front bumper mount.
a68cc3a9d107c89d8310d447f84c3725.jpg

It was easy to install. The stock mount is a little bent, so some extra pressure was required, but it was easy to get on otherwise.
b9e2acac443651d90400a2d192243d13.jpg

55549be8dd4a669bde1f9e889d5b4743.jpg

We all like the look. There’s a minor interference with the body, but nothing substantial. I may trim the front to fix this, or just wait for it to resolve itself in the next round of driving destruction, Lol!

First snow day!

It snowed a few inches last night despite 60 degree temps yesterday afternoon. The large tree in our front yard also decided to unload most of it’s leaves overnight. The two together made for an excellent, low traction surface perfect for the SCX10-2 and my Bomber.

Here’s the two trucks after 20 min of doughnuts. It’s important as a parent, you know, to encourage only the best and most conservative driving habits, :shock:!

Can you see the SCX10-2, Lol?! It’s on the right - kids wanted to run it without the top - no patience for getting the body clips!

6dca1ed74399539e3d8b888aed1bf4df.jpg

Here’s a close-up

184c2bd5c9535e28f442b039162babd1.jpg

All was fabulous for about 40 min and then more carnage in the back axle. This time the cap screws holding the locker to the ring gear sheared off

aebad2a33450a8bfc0e20450a477e5e2.jpg

The ring and pinion both look fine. The locker is also ok aside from the embedded fasteners that broke off flush, so no hope for getting them out, at least with my tools. Shame to throw away a part that’s perfectly good otherwise. The heads came out of the ring gear easily

5dc62a133dedb69b748aba2f4efdf056.jpg

So back to getting parts ... I ordered the Vanquish SCX10-2 spool
https://www.amainhobbies.com/vanquish-products-axial-scx10-ii-spool-vps08070/p523466
It should be here by Friday. I plan to pair it with some stainless fasteners from my parts bin. I should probably change the fasteners in the front also. Have any of you had similar problems?

Ok, so it took longer than I expected to get back to fixing the rear axle. The Vanquish spool showed up right away, but I decided we should go with some better grease and ordered this separately. Plus work and a few other things kept me away from the workshop. I must be one of the last people in the RC world to adopt CowRC Udder Butter - setting all the trends, Lol!

7f5dd426dc24d12f410c55009fbb6f56.jpg

http://www.cowrc.com/#!/Udder-Butter-2-5oz-Pre-Filled-Syringe/p/59318081/category=12842156

The CowRC shipping / customer service were impressive, as others have pointed out. We’ll be using them more in the future.

Here’s the Vanquish spool. Always fun to open one of their packages.

85ba1101d83490ada5f3bd18f52e113a.jpg

The parts went together really well. We used stainless fasteners to attach the spool. Hopefully the stainless fasteners fare better than the ones that sheared off last time.

2260b9ee1d7ca76caed621a523a54b62.jpg

The axles slid into the spool easily, but didn’t have any noticeable slop; pretty impressed with the quality machining on the Vanquish part.

Here’s the re-assembled diff with a healthy portion of the Udder Butter

7b802d37717b3165bc0dc8f9434746c2.jpg

I’m hoping we can do some test runs tomorrow. I’m guessing the next round of carnage will involve the front axle, but we’ll see ...

Last edited:
On the old locker, u may try a smaller drill bit than the screw to run them back out. Drill from the end of the screw, not the broke end, n the bit may get a bite n back the screws out. Just be careful not to get inot the threads

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Back