• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The story of how Axial ruined my life...

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

got bored.

Good looking Wraiths guys.."thumbsup" If I were running the XR wheels I would narrow those down to one inch wide. It makes the tires taller and not so fat looking. Plus its a cheap and easy mod.

thanx ive got another trailer load of stone to get down there before the snow flies. but as she sits
tossed a 32" lcd a recliner couch and some stools in for a bit more of a man cave feel.
309706_10150879112370393_502185392_21529892_640705671_n.jpg

320686_10150879113070393_502185392_21529903_1878196080_n.jpg

oh ya and this is my basement so i dont get bored of the canadian winter
320810_10150879113610393_502185392_21529909_253065949_n.jpg

:shock:Can I come live in your basement?? That's a pretty sweet setup.[/QUOTE]

thanx ive got another trailer load of stone to get down there before the snow flies. but as she sits
tossed a 32" lcd a recliner couch and some stools in for a bit more of a man cave feel.

:shock:Can I come live in your basement?? That's a pretty sweet setup.
[/QUOTE]

Sweet Man Cave..... All you need is a kegerator now and your set."thumbsup""thumbsup"

Last edited:
Wow..dude! What a way to use a cellar.. :shock:

To our moaning ( ;-) ) O.P : yeah, I completely sympathize.. It's just too much fun tinkering about with ever stronger, faster parts, and before You know it, You've stuck £800.- in it, have 4 sets of dampers laying around, oodles of gears, 10 kinds of shock-oil, several sets of sway-bars..on, and on, and on...

Well, it's allabout the fun of being happy, but utterly broke :ror:

Wow..dude! What a way to use a cellar.. :shock:

To our moaning ( ;-) ) O.P : yeah, I completely sympathize.. It's just too much fun tinkering about with ever stronger, faster parts, and before You know it, You've stuck £800.- in it, have 4 sets of dampers laying around, oodles of gears, 10 kinds of shock-oil, several sets of sway-bars..on, and on, and on...

Well, it's allabout the fun of being happy, but utterly broke :ror:

haha yeah sounds about right... I need to get my shocks set up. Any information on shock oils? My stock shocks don't seem to have any rebound what so ever? the RTR came with a few sets of dampeners... which ones are ya'll running and what weight oil?

As you can tell by the last pictures I got bored last night and found some random locations to mount the shocks giving me the monster truck look... that said I am seriously thinking about turning my lowering kit upside down and keeping it a little lifted.

I used the 3-hole pistons with 200 wt oil.

The best improvement for crawling, was when I dug-out some ( very soft! ) 3-racing front springs for the Dark-Impact( tamiya) and used those all around.

Combined with my home-made sway-bars set on "soft" it was exactly right. (sway-bars let's one use very soft springs, without inducing too much body-roll and torque-twist)

The best shocks all around were some cheap-a$$ Reely shocks. They are basically Losi rip-offs for half -or less- the price.
You're a brit( unless we are talking Easthampton somewhere in NY), you could try Conrad. They were low on stock, but they still have them listed under " ET1:10 oil pres shock (4) Order nr: 237115 £19,61 incl. VAT and shipping. That's cheap as heck for 4 pretty nice shocks with softer springs than the Axial bouncers.

Losi 4" are also very nice, be it somewhat pricey.

Last edited:
I year ago I did not have a single RC truck. I now have five, all modified in some way. Actually thinking the Wraith might be my sixth. Read on here and other RC sites that these things are addicting and can severely dent ones wallet. I can attest to that.:roll:

I year ago I did not have a single RC truck. I now have five, all modified in some way. Actually thinking the Wraith might be my sixth. Read on here and other RC sites that these things are addicting and can severely dent ones wallet. I can attest to that.:roll:

In all seriousness as long as you replace the dog bone/C-cup's with the universals (about $30) you will be ok... I know now that the dog bones caused most of my failures.

That's it, I'm packin up my mukluks & touque & moving up to Canadia. What could be better than watching hockey & crawling at the same time:ror:"thumbsup"

That's it, I'm packin up my mukluks & touque & moving up to Canadia. What could be better than watching hockey & crawling at the same time:ror:"thumbsup"

I would follow you there but I'm afraid I might get stoned to death for being a Bruins fan. We all saw how well they took loosing.;-)

I would follow you there but I'm afraid I might get stoned to death for being a Bruins fan. We all saw how well they took loosing.;-)

That's just those crazy BC folk. TROC isn't that bad.

Last edited:
I love forums... So classic.
If you had read the post you would know that I temporarily stole that servo from buddy as to actually be able to use the truck.

I love the truck and I dont regret the money I spent...
The post was meant to do two things: Let someone who is doing research on a wraith with purchasing one in mind have a realistic look at the truck (obviously some people love theirs and took offense). Secondly I had hoped a few people could get a laugh out of it knowing they have had a similar experience.

I didn't have economy in mind but why would I purchase something that was going to break? And i definitely spent a little extra money on a few shinny bits.

ultimate point is that i should have been able to use it for more then 20 minutes without spending money.
Sorry for the long posts. Ill just do lists and pictures next time haha

You have my APOLOGIES Eoin: I took your post as a complaint that $1000 is required. SAVOX makes decent servos but that servo saver. Dunno why hearin complaints about prices on their toys.

Nothing strange really in your story. Just you started with almost no experience on this field, and nobody that can give you some good advices to start from.

It's sad to hear that you had a bad experience.
For example, I'm prone to think that you broke the knuckles and damaged the shafts (the pin of the dogbone that did not want to stay centered) because nobody told you from the start to carefully adjust the steering EPA to avoid that at full steering lock the pin disengage from the slot in the drive cup, as the conseguence is immediate destroy of knuckle/"C" and possible damage to cup and dogbone itself.
I had rockcrawling with those stock parts, there's a video in Croatia this summer to prove it, and yet have not broken a single shaft or C.

A Wraith can be used mostly stock without breaking anything if you just de-rate the speed with shorter gears ratio and use it as something just slightly faster than a crawler.
But if speed is what you like for the Wraith, speed demons live eating coins at dozens at a time! Talk about spare parts!
My Wraith is set as a dedicated cralwer, and still uses stock plastic "C" and knuckles and till now nothing broke.
Yes had to made my own tie rod and suspension links, but no biggies.
My Wraith was never run as stock RTR. It was completely disassembled the day I bought it. Then radio, esc, motor, servo and tires/wheels went for sale, brand new.
Then I started rebuilding mine the way I wanted. Not crazy expensive, I'm not that kind. No bling at all. Just the right stuff. About $500.
And I got 150 back from the sale of original electronics and tires. Not a bad deal. ;-)

Nothing strange really in your story. Just you started with almost no experience on this field, and nobody that can give you some good advices to start from.

It's sad to hear that you had a bad experience.
For example, I'm prone to think that you broke the knuckles and damaged the shafts (the pin of the dogbone that did not want to stay centered) because nobody told you from the start to carefully adjust the steering EPA to avoid that at full steering lock the pin disengage from the slot in the drive cup, as the conseguence is immediate destroy of knuckle/"C" and possible damage to cup and dogbone itself.
I had rockcrawling with those stock parts, there's a video in Croatia this summer to prove it, and yet have not broken a single shaft or C.

A Wraith can be used mostly stock without breaking anything if you just de-rate the speed with shorter gears ratio and use it as something just slightly faster than a crawler.
But if speed is what you like for the Wraith, speed demons live eating coins at dozens at a time! Talk about spare parts!
My Wraith is set as a dedicated cralwer, and still uses stock plastic "C" and knuckles and till now nothing broke.
Yes had to made my own tie rod and suspension links, but no biggies.
My Wraith was never run as stock RTR. It was completely disassembled the day I bought it. Then radio, esc, motor, servo and tires/wheels went for sale, brand new.
Then I started rebuilding mine the way I wanted. Not crazy expensive, I'm not that kind. No bling at all. Just the right stuff. About $500.
And I got 150 back from the sale of original electronics and tires. Not a bad deal. ;-)

Well even if you had told me twelve times to not turn the wheel to full lock... I would have done it anyways. It was brand new.
The biggest piece of experience I was missing was that if I drive it the way I want too. It will break. I figured I could beat it for a few days at least. I was wrong.

Back