• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The story of how Axial ruined my life...

Eoin

Unfortunately I'm on of those 'Cant leave it alone' guys. Its awful.

I can't keep money in the bank... for some reason I'm always looking for something to make better on everything I own or anything anyone else owns... I also hate having things that arin't awesome...

I have about 20 Hobbies. Apparently RC cars is the flavor of the month.

I was dragged into a local Hobby store by some friends. One looking for rocket motors and the other looking for lower links for his night crawler. I start poking around and see the Wraith and obviously it looks cool. Im a Car guy and when I saw the tube frame it caught my eye. I love functionality and in the real world the wraith looks like a mostly go design. So I purchased it and a battery. I told myself that I would only upgrade parts if they broke. For those of you that own a wraith and are aware of how bad the RTR trucks are... please stop laughing at me! thanks.

First night I ripped it around... It flipped over... A lot.
Second Day I tried to climb a set of four stairs... Got up one and then snapped the right front knuckle while trying to climb the second. That night I started browsing the aftermarket parts available and because I'm use to buying parts for my cars, truck, boat, computer, guns or girlfriend I was amazed how high the quality was for the low price. So I purchased a pair of CNC knuckles and some replacement bearings, they imploded due to knuckled failure and my determination to climb some stairs... I waited impatiently for their arrival. I had been drinking and it was 1 am but I had no work in the morning so I started tearing the front end apart. I started to realize it was pretty simple and fun to work on these things and also how many things were put together improperly or just sloppily. Once the knuckles and bearings were installed I placed it on the kitchen floor and drove left. SNAP. Awesome.

The right C hub snapped in 8 seconds. I left it were it was and called it a night. the next day I realised that the wait for it to break idea wouldnt work. I made an order. A axial 55t motor, some random 12t hong nor motor, Lower links, pumpkin covers (cool factor) servo mounts, metal servo horn, steering links, the rear hubs (whatever they call them), front c hubs, shock bodies and tops, 1.04 lbs springs, and a lowering kit. All Aluminum or titanium of course. I took the truck apart waiting for the parts to show up. (heres a tip, when ordering from amainhobbies and they give you free shipping you should take it but use USPS. ups took 8 or 9 days... USPS parcel post takes 2 or 3)

Let me put this all into perspective for you all.
I spent $380 or so on the truck, $45 on the battery, $35 on knuckles and bearings, about $250 on other miscellaneous parts and had about 25 minutes of run time. needless to say I was frustrated.

So the parts come in and I put them all on (other then shock bodies) and in the process realized the end pin in the dog bone had moved and probably was the cause of all the failures in the front right so I was able to hammer it back to center. After about 5 minutes of use everything was loose but I didn't have any locktite at the house. So it was a total crap fest of trying to adjust the front links so my truck wasn't toed in or toed out and trying to tighten EVERY SINGLE ALLEN OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.

BUT I got it sorted, found some locktite and moved my battery forward and had most of my parts in. We went down to a hobby shop about 45 minutes away and wanted to do some driving. The 12t motor was hilarious but the truck wasn't fast enough to really go around the track and jump shiz, plus if the battery is in the front it just nose dives like a bastard and either smashes the front end or smashes the front end and then front flips. So i put the 55T in and went crawling. Well the Servo could barely turn the truck at all so it required a lot of reversing. Plus the stock tires are awful and you cant weight them unless you feel like carrying clue around with you. So obviously I purchased some wheels and tires. I don't remember the price but it was at the hobby shop so it was a little high, Somewhere around $100.

once the wheels were on and the truck was locktited I thought I was done for a while... I figured i could just use a crappy servo until I found a good one I wanted or at least had some fun with the truck (total run time was like 45 minutes at this point and it had been like 3 weeks).

But no... of course not. the ESC died literally the DAY AFTER I got my parts on the truck! So we took the 10t brushless motor and esc from my roomates slash and put that in it just to make sure the esc was the problem. but in the process I noticed that the end pin on the dogbone was shifted again and was destroying the C cup and destroying my new CNC alumminum C hub. so i hammered it back to center and took it on a hike with the 10t in it. it was hilarious and so much fun. But after 5 minutes on the trail the pin on the dog bone was shifted again and would lock the truck up on full turns.

I was frustrated and went online and ordered axial universal joint axles to replace them and also some end links for the lower links because I broke some on the trail. To top it off I ordered a NOVAK timbuk2 brushless 13.5t wraith specific motor and ESC combo. I installed that last night and put the battery back to the back (wires aren't ling enough so new ESC has to be in front). When I stalled the new ESC motor combo it seems the servo had had enough. It quit completely... so I stole my roommates extra servo that he took out of his night crawler and put it in and then the transmitter and receiver had had enough and stopped working. So I stole my roommates spare traxxas transmitter and receiver and I finally have a functional truck.

BTW I took out all the interior junk im not a big fan of little shifters and seats. I like the look of the chassis but I don't care for the scale bits and pieces. anyways here are some quick phone photos. I have a lot of work to do as far as arranging all the electronics and hiding wires and so on. Also the lowering kit will probably come out. with softer shocks and weights in the tires I don't need it lower and its just robbing clearance.

This is with the slash guts in it:
IMG_1190.mp4 video by Eoin16V - Photobucket

work area:
IMG_1230.jpg

you can see what the faulty dog-bone did:
IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

This is what almost happened to the truck on multiple occasions:
IMG_1219.mp4 video by Eoin16V - Photobucket

Total price is somewhere around $1,000 and that's without counting the new servo that I need or the New transmitter that I Need.
in hindsight I would have bought a comp crawler and made it awesome and then bought a slash or something like that for my speed kicks.

Overall:
IF YOU WANT A WRAITH GET A KIT AND BUILD IT PROPERLY!
Best upgrade so far was universal joint axles.
If you all want more pictures or to know anything let me know.
Don't get a wraith unless you already have a few RC cars and trucks.

Well I know a lot of the guys on here have talked about how bad the RTR wraith is, In my opinion, it's not all that bad. I have yet to break anything...Knock on wood, and I have drove the S#!T out of mine. But also if you drive the crap out of something expect it to break! I expect a failure any day now lol.

Yeah, that WAS quite a novel.

Unlike the OP, I did a little research first before buying anything. There were things in the kit that were upgrades for the RTR and I remember somebody on here saying..."If you build the kit, you'll get a good idea how the thing goes together and how everything works". Sage words, I thought.

So...I bought the kit, most of the suggested alum/steel/titanium parts and have really enjoyed putting this thing together. BTW, I'm at just over $1000, not including a Tx, so it doesn't really matter how you start...RTR or kit...other than with the RTR you get five or ten minutes of run time before the obligatory rebuild starts to shoot holes your bank account.

Life is good.

If I tell you about my SCA then I'll shoot myself......... :shock: Good luck with your holey bank account."thumbsup" :)

Cheers

SCA = Scale Crawler Addiction

Total price is somewhere around $1,000 and that's without counting the new servo that I need or the New transmitter that I Need.
in hindsight I would have bought a comp crawler and made it awesome and then bought a slash or something like that for my speed kicks.

Overall:
IF YOU WANT A WRAITH GET A KIT AND BUILD IT PROPERLY!
Best upgrade so far was universal joint axles.
If you all want more pictures or to know anything let me know.
Don't get a wraith unless you already have a few RC cars and trucks.

Your statement that you need a $1000 to build it tight is nothin but B.S. I have ran A tekin pro 4 thru mine with a 3 cell cause I wanted to see why guys like you was cryin. Its goin back in my Slash as soon as I get my order from Holmes. I did beef up my drivetrain in all fairness. I notice the aluminum axle covers. And yer complainin about cost. SHEESH

Last edited by a moderator:
Your statement that you need a $1000 to build it tight is nothin but B.S. I have ran A tekin pro 4 thru mine with a 3 cell cause I wanted to see why guys like you was cryin. Its goin back in my Slash as soon as I get my order from Holmes. I did beef up my drivetrain in all fairness. I notice the aluminum axle covers. And yer complainin about cost. SHEESH

Maybe you ought to sell it for a couple hundred. WAA

Hmm...That sounds about right. Maybe the only difference for 90% of the people reading this is that they were all EXPECTING to have to put all those parts in. I know I was, so I'm in about the same place...$1000 into the truck ( which is about average for the last three trucks I've had) to get it to a point where it would do what I wanted to do 99% of the time without something breaking.

I'd probably agree that the Wraith is not really the best choice for someone brand new into RC, but then I don't think a scale or semi-scale crawler of any description is a good place to start the hobby. A buddy of mine started his RC experience with a Tamiya hi-lift kit....he was pretty much done with the hobby before he got the truck finished.

Now that you've got a decent truck assembled, stick a good radio in it, waterproof everything and enjoy it. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and now the upgrades are done, you shouldn't be busting things everytime you turn it on

I don't understand the problems. My Honcho kit is bone stock with a 55t novak, lrp runner esc, traxxas radio, hitech 5645 servo, weighted wheels, and a custom f-250 extended cab body. I beat the crap out of it and the only issues I've had is cracking the body work on my cab rolling it down the rocks. On my Wraith kit, I used a 35t motor, ae-2 esc, hitech 5645 servo, xr-10 wheels weighted, and axial radio and have also had no problems out of it besides stripping the stock spur gear.

im a car guy everything i own gets modified i know where your coming from my last "winter beater" is currently being taken off the road due to it being to modified and to low to be in the snow. my newest focus wagon "winter beater" to be left stock. has now got an svt focus engine and 6speed trans svt interior and susp on svt wheels. its a bad drug we have to deal with

i got into this hobby in mid - late July with Zero rc's
my bad "drug of not leaving stuff alone" has lead me to this

301269_10150861333820393_502185392_21401541_598852614_n.jpg

284200_10150759528290393_502185392_20413451_793948_n.jpg

the Newest project to go under way
303073_10150958520010393_502185392_22032267_540839952_n.jpg

oh ya and this is my basement so i dont get bored of the canadian winter
320810_10150879113610393_502185392_21529909_253065949_n.jpg

Its his first post, I say he's trolling

Doesn't seem that way to me... actually, he doesn't even seem upset like some have been. I think this is just a telling of his experience with the Wraith... nothing more, nothing less.

oh ya and this is my basement so i dont get bored of the canadian winter
320810_10150879113610393_502185392_21529909_253065949_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:shock:Can I come live in your basement?? That's a pretty sweet setup.

Oh yea big boy, that's me alright:ror:
I'm all oiled up, ready to go

I really cant beleive his whining. Then going further and saying its a POS unless there is a $1000 invested. It is clear he didnt build this with economy in mind. That servo and servo saver says alot. Theres alot more I can say but this is what happens when throwing money at something without thought and training.

:lmao:
I really cant beleive his whining. Then going further and saying its a POS unless there is a $1000 invested. It is clear he didnt build this with economy in mind. That servo and servo saver says alot. Theres alot more I can say but this is what happens when throwing money at something without thought and training.

VANQUISH SHOULD USE THIS PIC TO COMPARE HOW WELL THEIR PARTS FIT COMPARED TO OTHER COMPANIES AFTERMARKET PARTS. I bet his LHS loves to see him.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I love forums... So classic.
If you had read the post you would know that I temporarily stole that servo from buddy as to actually be able to use the truck.

I love the truck and I dont regret the money I spent...
The post was meant to do two things: Let someone who is doing research on a wraith with purchasing one in mind have a realistic look at the truck (obviously some people love theirs and took offense). Secondly I had hoped a few people could get a laugh out of it knowing they have had a similar experience.

I didn't have economy in mind but why would I purchase something that was going to break? And i definitely spent a little extra money on a few shinny bits.

ultimate point is that i should have been able to use it for more then 20 minutes without spending money.
Sorry for the long posts. Ill just do lists and pictures next time haha

Last edited:
Back