• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The Rapid Rhino - Axial Wraith

Here is a video I put together after our December 17th CORCRC meetup:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nOcM9PKswnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
For Christmas I got my oldest grandson a Wraith, of course I had to drive it before Christmas morning, managed to break a front lower link. So I raided one from my Wraith - new set of STRC black aluminum lower links are on the way. Then on Christmas day he managed to snap the end of the front dog-bone, so had to steal that too.

Since my rig has been raided I decided it was time to start my 4WS addition, and the conversion to my new Radio - a Spektrum DX6i. More on my programming latter.

Last edited:
Nice vid, glad to see you included the part where i made it up the wall with my bully. That is a tough section. Hope to make it up with my wraith in the near future. Good to hear you are working on 4 wheel steering. I hope to get my 4 wheel steering by the end of January.

Nice vid, glad to see you included the part where i made it up the wall with my bully. That is a tough section. Hope to make it up with my wraith in the near future. Good to hear you are working on 4 wheel steering. I hope to get my 4 wheel steering by the end of January.

Just waiting on a couple parts, and trying to get my radio configured. Hopefully I'll have it going by Saturday.

Just waiting on a couple parts, and trying to get my radio configured. Hopefully I'll have it going by Saturday.

I got my 4ws hooked up last night still working on all the wiring and configuring my Spektrum DX6i.

I really want to program the thing so I can switch between five steering modes:
1 - Front wheel steer
2 - AWS
3 - Rear wheel steer
4 - Crab walk
5 - independent steer

When you get the dx6i all installed and programmed I would like to see what your setting are and how it's running, I have a dx6i as well and want to do 4ws. Thanks -matt

When you get the dx6i all installed and programmed I would like to see what your setting are and how it's running, I have a dx6i as well and want to do 4ws. Thanks -matt

I'll document it and get in the Electronics forum once I've figured it out.

Nice wraith, I like that setup. How do you like the 55t holmes? I'm trying to figure out what kind of motor to run for a mainly crawler setup and have been leaning towards a 35t torquemaster. Does the 55t leave anything to be desired as far as wheel speed? I noticed pinion and spur gear combo lead to a lot of heat and eventually toasting the motor...any suggestions for a rookie?

Realistic steering and 4WS installed, still need to clean up and figure out my radio mixing.

I'll do another video and more detailed write up, as well as dress my Wraith in the not too distant future.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g9lDJLd0sFY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Here is another video of my 4 wheel steering setup.

With the Spektrum I know have the following steering modes
1 - independent steering (both gimbles)
2 - crab walk (primary gimble)
3 - all wheel cooperative steering (primary gimble)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4rhRgcMn9qA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Nice vid, I was curious how you had your radio set up...it was explained at the end. Thanks! I was talking to a fellow about his helicopter and he was saying how different it was switching from helicopters to planes. Pretty interesting for those of us running 2ws."thumbsup"

Here are a couple of videos I put together last night on the Rapid Rhino Test Facility, ie. my backyard. :)

A quicker overview of the course, and then a run through, at night under lighting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bNrsUgG4vSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This next one is the intro of the Rapid Rhino Wraith #1, #3 is this build, for clarity there is no #2. I wanted to play with my winch and a little stop motion video, so there are some new things in here, need to spend a lot more time to do the stop motion sequences up right though - lesson learned. I will put together a build thread on RRW #1, but at the moment outside of the body, it is a mostly stock Wraith.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2lkzJcJxeSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
So I got my order from RC4WD and AMain Hobbies - new goodies:

Amahinhobbies:
1 - Upper and Lower links from VP for the rear of my wraith
2 - STRC Aluminum CNC Machined bottom shock mounts
3 - VP aluminum steering knuckles for the rear steer

RC4WD
4 - G-Transition shocks

Dinky RC
5 - Scooped Hoods, (Clear and white)
6 - 4 post steering wheel

So now I have lots of work to do, will be posting pictures as soon as they are finished uploading to picasaweb.

I only managed to get the knuckles, lower links, and rear shocks built and mounted.

Last edited:
Finally got my hands on a Rogue Elements Wraith Interior kit. Time to tear this Wraith down and build it back up with a new interior, new shocks, new paint job or at least a clean fresh coat of paint.

I'm playing around with the idea of extending the body panels and the back of the cage a bit. Something like this:

DSC00430.JPG

Back