• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The Rapid Rhino - Axial Wraith

Another action shot:

vlcsnap-2011-11-23-00h16m58s0.png

Well while in San Francisco for Thanksgiving I visited the HobbyTown USA in Concord and picked up some lead weights, a new GH Racing Servo Horn II, and a deans series connector.

The last item lead to a momentary lapse of sanity, so I hooked up my two 3s batteries to my Holmes Hobbies BRXL and had some fun. The power was out of this world, and after about 5-8 minutes of fun, the magic smoke left my Holmes Hobbies 13T Crawlmaster motor. It was very sad and very stupid. So I'm looking into what I can do to fix the motor, or send it off to John to have him rebuild it.

Video from Sunday's drive with k_goodrich.

A couple wraiths on construction debris, plus my Redcat Racing Earthquake 8E, and k_goodrich's RC4WC Bully.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I_etldb9AvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Made progress on my steering modification - ie. the steering wheel and driver move with the wheels.

Used a micro servo mounted under the dash. Photos and more details to follow this weekend when I have more time.

Sweet rig"thumbsup". I like the cut off cab. I'm glad I saw this, I've been looking for shackles for a few days now. I didn't even think to check RC4WD:roll:.

Here is the servo mounted under the dashboard, I ended up using a small piece of sheet metal to mount the servo on and then mount it under the dashboard. For the shaft I used a piece of 4/40 threaded rod and simply threaded it into the top servo gear. Then I used a piece of aluminum tubing over the threaded shaft, and a three nuts, one embedded in the steering wheel, one below and one above to top it off. Here is a photo of my driver's arm attached to the steering wheel and mounted in place.

DSC07626.JPG

Started another little project to get a set of snow chains made for my vehicle.

Here's the first one in place.

DSC07629.JPG

I just put the Maxx shafts on, with no adapters. About 10-15 minutes of dremel time total. Haven't got a chance to run it yet, but will this weekend. Running a 3300 Kv 4 pole short course motor.

Max Shafts work very well. How large a spur could you install without the adapter? Thats the only one you need.

Nice idea with the chains"thumbsup". I'd like to see some video of the steering in action too.

Here is my latest video:

Rapid Rhino Episode #15 - Central Oregon RC Rock Crawler Gathering at Robert W. Sawyer Park

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LrOQqSK8of8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Nice idea with the chains"thumbsup". I'd like to see some video of the steering in action too.

Will do once we get snow again, and I finish the full set. I suspect the later will be done before we have snow on the ground again.

I enjoyed it, really looking forward to doing a scale trails run sometime.

Finally finished up my snow chains for my Wraith.

DSC07660.JPG

Waiting for my Y-Harness with reverse for my realistic steering, and I have to make a better arm for my driver, so it doesn't hamper the realistic steering, any thoughts for material?

Last edited:
Just realized I hadn't posted up my last two videos to this thread:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lg6shkxJLrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Playing with a green screen and my new piles of rocks - original.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RtaSpxPWXKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Remixed with a different background.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NPb8s6pUpxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
More footage as I work out the small crawling course in my yard.

Last edited:
Trying to decide between the MIP and Crawler Innovations Maxx upgrade kit. Any opinions on one versus the other?

C.I. Maxx Drive Shaft Upgrade Kit

and

MIP C-Drive Spline Set for Axial AX10 Scorpion (2 each) #08101*-*Driveline Parts: Driveshafts and driveshaft parts*-*-By Truck: Axial AX10 Scorpion, SCX10, Honcho*-*The Crawlers Store LLC

The crawler innovations solution gives the option of running a larger spur gear.

The whole Maxx conversion costs under $20 + shipping! I have already done this to my SCX10, but I had to buy the new in and outputs, but the Wraith already has them. I am also planning this for my Wraith, most bulletproof set-up I have ever used.

The whole Maxx conversion costs under $20 + shipping! I have already done this to my SCX10, but I had to buy the new in and outputs, but the Wraith already has them. I am also planning this for my Wraith, most bulletproof set-up I have ever used.

Since I put the solid aluminum rod down the center of the stock drive shafts I've had no problems. I have not tried running a brushless motor yet though.

I finally upgraded my wheels and tires.

For know I went with the Axial AX8097 wheels and Losi Comp Claws. Photos to follow shortly.

DSC07689.JPG

Rapid Rhino Wraith with the new Losi Comp Claws.

DSC07697.JPG

Flex shot with the new tires and wheels.

Last edited:
Back