• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Stealth X gearbox question. - Please help!

Cuiken

Pebble Pounder
So, I'm trying to build a pre-runner truck based on the Enduro Trailrunner chassis. If you're curious, I'll be posting updates here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elem...other-enduro-pre-runner-idea.html#post6106289

I may have made a minor error in my planning though. Because this will not be a crawler but more of a fast trail truck, I opted to use a sensored motor and the relatively cheap (not really a crawler ESC) 10BL120 ESC.

Only issue is that the stock Enduro chassis/stealthX combo runs with the motor 'backwards'. CW rather than typical CCW for the truck to run forwards. I neglected to check whether the 10BL120 can reverse the motor polarity (as per an AXE ESC) and, turns out, it can't.

In a non-sensored rig I'd obviously just swap two of the wires but for sensored, it ain't that simple.

Soooooo, can I just unbolt the whole StealthX assembly from the chassis, flip it 180 degrees and then run it in that orientation instead? Unless I'm being dumb, I think that should reverse the motor polarity making it operate as CCW for 'forwards'.

Only caveate is that the front overdrive will now be on the back (which really really won't work) but I was planning to use some parts from another StealthX to convert the gearbox to 0% overdrive anyway.

Can anyone comment if they think this will work? Thoughts appreciated as I'll want to cancel the order for my motor/ESC if this plan isn't going to fly.

Thanks.

As long as you are running no overdrive, you will be fine to flip the trans around.

I'm 99% sure you can flip the trans and get the extra gears to make it overdriveless like you said. I just built my first kit ever recently and it was the Gatekeeper.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking/hoping.

Sounds like I can plough ahead with my original plan then!

TIL: the HW 10BL120 can't reverse a sensored motor (and I assume the 10BL60 can't either.) I have two 120s and a few 60s in some of my go fasts, but none of them are running sensored, so it never caused an issue.

im late but you can not reverse the trans unless you have zero overdrive (you will need two 52t gears) or you replace the top shaft which all the trans come with the extra topshaft. i have 3 of these and have them in different configurations. I hate those little 1.5mm screws so be warned take your time taking them off otherwise you will have an assortment of Stealth X gears and transmission parts like i do :)

There's an optional Associated input shaft (P/N ASC42024) for reversing the trans 180*. You may get someone to part with a spare from their Builder's Kit.

I suggest purchasing the Bowhouse spur gear adaptor to allow use of Kimbrough spur gears. This will give you the option of gearing for pre-runner speeds.

Another option is to use a SCX10.2 (grey plastic) trans. It's a fantastic simple and robust unit with no complications from overdrive. It has the same mounting bolt pattern for the skid plate.

Last edited:
Back