• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper

Hey! nice project. I would be interested in trying out your camper build. Don't know if you're still in testing mode or selling mode but I'm interested either way.

I did something similar with some Adirondack shelter plans I drew up in CAD at 10 scale. It was cool to see what other people did with the basic design that I started & how different the end product looked from mine. Great way to trouble shoot plans/kits. In the end, demand for 1:10 adirondack shelters didn't justify vendor status... but it was fun.

I'm actually doing a scale campground. I did this sign & picnic table and a friend scratch built the tear drop. I'm working on a '64 Shasta Astroflyte scratch build & experimenting with tents.

Clipboard01.jpg

SAM_5241.JPG

SAM_5231.JPG

SAM_5235.JPG

SAM_5243.JPG

2012-10-05%252014.10.16.jpg

2012-10-10%252014.51.55.jpg

Some more pics...
The rear panel can be installed either way so the door can be on which ever side is best for you
2012-10-03%252013.01.17.jpg

There's enough room on the narrow side for a ladder still or you can not run a spare and put a ladder where the tire is shown
2012-10-03%252013.01.42.jpg

Winders will be available separately in clear or smoked plexi... maybe black plastic too
2012-10-03%252013.35.37.jpg

Clamps are sooo handy, but not required
2012-10-03%252021.05.15.jpg

Steve is super excited too but it's time for bed
2012-10-19%252019.07.34.jpg

Pricing N/A yet, after some test kits are assembled 5 or so will be sold on ewhore to help determine approx value...
*CNC drilled for (14) 3mm LED's for clearance lighting
*Features 10 Windows including rear cab to camper access
*Doesn't require any modification to the bed of the truck other than some form of attachment, for example long body posts...
*Pack your lunch!
*Includes a kitchen table and "grandma's attic" area with built in mattress retainer
*Includes another rear door cut for tight clearance (sand to fit)
*Takes approx 4hrs over several days to complete the initial build
*NOT for the novice modeler, you must be able to glue/clamp and not fondle til dry... it's harder than it seems
*Remarkably strong, will support a 225lb me standing on it
*Weight... I'll do a weigh in tomorrow
*Don't want windows? whatever just arrange it with me and I'll cut yours window free
*Available in fancy woods... want to stain it? whatever I can make yours from oak, birch, poplar even plastic

More details soon!

Laters,
Speed

I love the STEELERS sleeping bag."thumbsup"

Hey! nice project. I would be interested in trying out your camper build. Don't know if you're still in testing mode or selling mode but I'm interested either way.

I did something similar with some Adirondack shelter plans I drew up in CAD at 10 scale. It was cool to see what other people did with the basic design that I started & how different the end product looked from mine. Great way to trouble shoot plans/kits. In the end, demand for 1:10 adirondack shelters didn't justify vendor status... but it was fun.

I'm actually doing a scale campground. I did this sign & picnic table and a friend scratch built the tear drop. I'm working on a '64 Shasta Astroflyte scratch build & experimenting with tents.

Clipboard01.jpg

That's so awesome "thumbsup", Ive actually seen some of your vids on youtube... I had a teardrop in mind, almost identical to that but with wood sides. I really dig the battery box on the tongue, good stuff!

I'll shoot you a PM

Styrene for the people!
2012-11-14%252017.37.03.jpg

2012-11-14%252018.15.18.jpg

2012-11-14%252018.17.20.jpg

Weight in grams

Have any of you guys ever used Sintra? That's going to be the plastic happy medium and it comes in colors! Lighter, stiffer and easier to machine.

New windows!
SAM_5288.JPG

SAM_5289.JPG

SAM_5290.JPG

SAM_5286.JPG

and a group photo of the styrene camper
SAM_5280.JPG

I made some revisions to the wood one too, I'll post up some pics later... my dumb@$$ packed up the new ones w/o taking pictures... :roll:

"thumbsup" on doing these in styrene!

#55 has a thing or 2 to say about the squeelers-
suggsshirt.jpg

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the comments on the camper and thanks for the post DRW

The battery box was a casting I got from 65efi5.0

I really like what youve done here. Your camper is really cool. I would be interested in one in styrene in the future.

Thanks for the comments on the camper and thanks for the post DRW

The battery box was a casting I got from 65efi5.0

I really like what youve done here. Your camper is really cool. I would be interested in one in styrene in the future.

No prob that's a sweet unit! and thanks

The future is Sintra, if you really want styrene I have enough plastic to make 3 more campers "thumbsup"
Here's what the Sintra looks like close up
SAM_5294.JPG

It's a little cheaper, about 40% lighter and more rigid... 2mm would work also saving weight. CA also sticks to it like mad, the core is foamed poly-somethin'or'nother so the ca soaks into the foam.

PM me and we'll get you a camper... packing one up for your buddy now, don't wanna be left out! :mrgreen:

Good to hear positive stuff "thumbsup"

I updated the camper design a little...
Thinner, shapely roof supports. Lighter and allows better access to bunk area/rear door
SAM_5296.JPG

This is a new optional roof support for the center, the old one was huge and is still included
SAM_5297.JPG

The rear lower sides were moved to the windows for space conservation
SAM_5298.JPG

The orientation of the rear and frt panels were changed so the texture of the grain matches
SAM_5301.JPG

SAM_5302.JPG

Since there has been no complaints so far I am going to say they are ready for the masses. 5 more kits are available PM if your interested!

I started another build, taking pictures for the instructions this time. My plan is to auction it off on ewhore once it's 2/3rds finished.

I added the instruction pics to the 2nd post of this thread...

Thanks
Speed

Last edited:
Something new being added to the kits, each kit has 2 vents
SAM_5390.JPG

SAM_5391.JPG

New side windows are in
SAM_5392.JPG

SAM_5393.JPG

One more new thing for the kits
2 sewer clean out caps... 2 so when you lose one you have a spare lol :mrgreen:
SAM_5299.JPG

Got mine in the mail the other day and finally opened it up today! Looking forward to doing a build video on it. I just hope I can do it justice. Might paint the whole thing in Steelers colors for tailgate parties. ;-)

file-83.jpg

Back