• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper

What do you guys think of the RPM light bar?
SAM_5256.JPG

Going camping in the desert 8)
SAM_5254.JPG

Shot of the bumper before paint
2012-10-24%252018.12.45.jpg

2012-10-24%252018.13.20.jpg

Last edited:
Found it! Me doing the "Captain" on a prototype
IMG_20121022_130434_929.jpg

here's another of the roof rack before paint
2012-10-23%252022.53.04.jpg

...and I have new bits just for paneling, there is very little "fuzzing" only on the back side. The first ones kinda looked like a chia pet lol but it sands right off.
2012-10-23%252019.04.56.jpg
2012-10-23%252019.36.55.jpg

2012-10-23%252019.37.21.jpg

Okay I think that's all I have for now...

Fast delivery-I know crazy fast. Ordered a motor from rc4wd Saturday after 5 and was here Monday afternoon!
Arrive OK- Yep seems to be completely undamaged. Package was worn through on leading pointy edges.
KCRC(local club) is holding a GTG called "The Goat Hill Scale Challenge" Saturday the 27th. I'll pass this kit around for the locals to check out. "thumbsup"

Sorry guys I'm not getting any emails from the forum right now... :shock:
but I have new pics!
SAM_5255.JPG

SAM_5262.JPG

Thanks for all the kind words, I don't want to sound like a broken record but I really appreciate it "thumbsup"

Noted...

Also noted, I am styrene ignorant... Do you use CA then back it with E6000 or something?

Wood is your friend after the glue has dried the joint is stronger than the wood it's made from. PM me they're are a few unclaimed yet.

How in the hell did it get there so fast! I tracked it today and saw it was delivered...

Did it arrive ok? I'm a little worried about the front corners getting damaged.

So here's what I see wrong with styrene
1. Its 8 times more expensive than wood
2. I fondled the 3mm and it seemed flimsy aaand heavy. I can stand on a wood one, literally... I have a pic somewhere.
3. Since it's thinner the CAD drawing is wrong and some of it will need trimmed to fit together properly.

Here's the good parts
1 It's way easier to cut
2 My bits will last longer
3 There is no dust just tiny plastic chunks
4 If you can use CA with it that'd be bad ass
5 you could layer thinner styrene for raised trim... also doable with balsa too

I'd still make a couple outta of it just to see but I don't see it going anywhere unless there's a demand... the expense alone is the worse part.

okay.....what would it cost me for styrene kit on this?
PM me for details k!
i want this bitch on my new yota scx10 "thumbsup"

Just got mine in i lovin it im going to start working on it today ill try to post pics as i get r done "thumbsup""thumbsup"

okay.....what would it cost me for styrene kit on this?
PM me for details k!
i want this bitch on my new yota scx10 "thumbsup"

PM'd

Just got mine in i lovin it im going to start working on it today ill try to post pics as i get r done "thumbsup""thumbsup"

Awesome! how was the packaging?

Keep in mind it already fits perfect so no 80grit cleaning up the edges :ror: it'll end up too small. 240grit is plenty or a nice file works well for cleaning up the edges. There is the angle that need added to the board over the roof, I used 80 on DA for the roughing phase.

FWIW you don't have to assemble those over the cab pieces in the order I showed, whatever works for you.

I can't wait to see pics from you guys!!!!

SW, really nice looking work!"thumbsup""thumbsup"

Any "ballpark" pricing yet (either wood or styrene)??? Is this a $20-30 kit, $60-80 kit, $100+??

Did you get an idea on weight yet?

It arrived OK no rips or nothing an like riceburner im going to take it to some gtg an our lhs "thumbsup"

Sweet the padded envelope is friendlier on my pocket to ship :mrgreen:

SW, really nice looking work!"thumbsup""thumbsup"

Any "ballpark" pricing yet (either wood or styrene)??? Is this a $20-30 kit, $60-80 kit, $100+??

Did you get an idea on weight yet?

Mines 2lbs with the windows, metal rack and ladder, table, bedding and 6oz of paint and clear :lmao:eek:k I'm exaggerating a little but I'm not afraid to wash it off with a hose... that was the plan from the beginning.

The price? well hopefully I'll put them on ebay and they'll be like cabbage patch kids, they sell for $1000's each and I'll buy an island and live like Tom Vu!

Ok who remembers Tom Vu?

Pricing is still up in the air, if you want one you should get on board, there's 2 kits waiting to ship and they will never be as cheap as they are now.

Styrene is 8x more expensive than wood, I am making one for swamp dog and one for a friend out of the 3mm, if you have $ in your paypal and want a styrene one now is the time, group buy on the sheet of plastic kinda of deal. PM me for the price.

I don't see plastic being stocked but I have no problem making 1 offs if your willing to pay for it... for example who has $500plus for a carbon fiber one? :twisted:

Got mine today, will begin working on it tomorrow. Packaging was fine, some slight distortion in the plywood (nothing too major). I will take progress pics as I go and post them up here or begin a build thread..."thumbsup"

Got mine today, will begin working on it tomorrow. Packaging was fine, some slight distortion in the plywood (nothing too major). I will take progress pics as I go and post them up here or begin a build thread..."thumbsup"

Some of the warping might just be the wood, I try to pick nice flat sheets but sometimes after they're cut they curl.

Great job on the build thread!

I am interested in a balsa version, can you PM me a price and availability ? I would also like to put it on the Vuck,any chance of custom length ?

Here is a pic of the vuck I can supply length dims if doable..

IMG_1633.jpg

0032-1.jpg

I am interested in a balsa version, can you PM me a price and availability ? I would also like to put it on the Vuck,any chance of custom length ?

Here is a pic of the vuck I can supply length dims if doable..

IMG_1633.jpg

0032-1.jpg

Well heck that's a cool looking rig... what's the bed dimensions?

I have no idea where I'd get a 2x4' sheet of balsa :roll: are you totally against plywood?

Thank you, there is a build thread on here started by jeeper 05,it is called vuckin yota

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-...yota-build-now-hotwheels000s-vuckin-yota.html

Length of the inside of the bed is 222mm. I am wondering if the camper overall is close ? I wouldnt mind if it didnt hang out

I would really like balsa for the weight savings. Have you looked at the LHS ? Do you have a weight of the styrene versions ? That may work.
If all else failed I could go with the wood,can you use thinner sheets ? I could then overlay with styrene siding.

Sorry, lots of questions,by the way very cool product. I hope I can put it to use.

Last edited:
Thank you, there is a build thread on here started by jeeper 05,it is called vuckin yota

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-...yota-build-now-hotwheels000s-vuckin-yota.html

Incredible build "thumbsup" I'm about halfway through the thread...

Length of the inside of the bed is 222mm. I am wondering if the camper overall is close ? I wouldnt mind if it didnt hang out
It will totally work, 248mm from inside the rear panel to the front of the bed. You'd just have to trim the bottom 4 pieces.
SAM_5273.JPG

SAM_5274.JPG

I would really like balsa for the weight savings. Have you looked at the LHS ?
No but I have googled til I was nauseous :oops:

Do you have a weight of the styrene versions ? That may work.
Heavy,.. figure at best there's five 10x15 sheets of whatever you get at your lhs. I can get an approx weight tomorrow by comparing a 24" wide section of styrene to a 24" wide section of wood

The wood I'm using isn't very heavy, I have a piece laying on my desk 115x115mm and it weighs 34grams

If all else failed I could go with the wood,can you use thinner sheets ? I could then overlay with styrene siding.
I haven't found anything thinner locally... it's called .25" but only measures 5mm. Keep in mind I want to buy 4x8' sheets if at all possible.

So I was thinking and have come up with a few down and dirty ways of lightening.

1. Replace the roof panel with balsa, fall down easy... saves weight from the top
2. Cut bigger or more windows
3. The best one I needed to be sleep deprived to see. Buy my kit, buy sheets of balsa from the lhs and use the kit for templates! It take no time to cut it out and you could even make it out of construction paper or foam! :mrgreen:

What about 5mm signboard?
Sorry, lots of questions,by the way very cool product. I hope I can put it to use.
No worries... thanks and I hope so too "thumbsup"

One thing about the weight, it makes boring trails so much more interesting. Just going fast in a straight line can be exciting.

Another thing that would look sweet on your rig would be something like I'm doing on my TF2
2012-08-30%252000.50.23.jpg

2012-08-30%252000.50.56.jpg

Or a more trail oriented sized camper
2012-08-30%252000.56.21.jpg

Gotta run 3:30am...
Speed

Back