• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Speedweigand Customs slide-in camper

Speedweigand

Quarry Creeper
SAM_5241.JPG

SAM_5231.JPG

SAM_5235.JPG

SAM_5243.JPG

2012-10-05%252014.10.16.jpg

2012-10-10%252014.51.55.jpg

Some more pics...
The rear panel can be installed either way so the door can be on which ever side is best for you
2012-10-03%252013.01.17.jpg

There's enough room on the narrow side for a ladder still or you can not run a spare and put a ladder where the tire is shown
2012-10-03%252013.01.42.jpg

Winders will be available separately in clear or smoked plexi... maybe black plastic too
2012-10-03%252013.35.37.jpg

Clamps are sooo handy, but not required
2012-10-03%252021.05.15.jpg

Steve is super excited too but it's time for bed
2012-10-19%252019.07.34.jpg

Pricing N/A yet, after some test kits are assembled 5 or so will be sold on ewhore to help determine approx value...
*CNC drilled for (14) 3mm LED's for clearance lighting
*Features 10 Windows including rear cab to camper access
*Doesn't require any modification to the bed of the truck other than some form of attachment, for example long body posts...
*Pack your lunch!
*Includes a kitchen table and "grandma's attic" area with built in mattress retainer
*Includes another rear door cut for tight clearance (sand to fit)
*Takes approx 4hrs over several days to complete the initial build
*NOT for the novice modeler, you must be able to glue/clamp and not fondle til dry... it's harder than it seems
*Remarkably strong, will support a 225lb me standing on it
*Weight... 2 pounds with bedding, steel rack, steel ladder and windows
*Don't want windows? whatever just arrange it with me and I'll cut yours window free
*Available in fancy woods... want to stain it? whatever I can make yours from oak, birch, poplar even plastic

Link to the instructions
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxKrz6noJAVebWRPaERWbTI2U0k

More details soon!

Laters,
Speed

Last edited:
I have 5 kits ready to ship for testing ease of assembly and to help with refining the destructions... PM me if your interested
Thanks
Speed

1.teamreedracing-SHIPPED
2.SwampDawg
3.hotwheels000-SHIPPED
4.1rcmonster-SHIPPED
5.RiceBurner-SHIPPED

Instructions
Step 1
Locate these pieces
SAM_5321.JPG

Apply a bead of glue to the leading edge of the bottom panel
SAM_5323.JPG

SAM_5324.JPG

Notice the orientation
SAM_5325.JPG

Clamp and set aside
SAM_5326.JPG

Next gather these 4 pieces
"edit Jan 1, 2013" save this step til after the main camper is assembled on the updated kit.
SAM_5328.JPG

They will be assembled like this
SAM_5330.JPG

SAM_5331.JPG

SAM_5332.JPG

SAM_5333.JPG

SAM_5334.JPG

Using a paint brush spread out the remaining glue, add more if necessary to form a uniform coat, spreading it out will help it dry faster...
SAM_5335.JPG

While the first 2 assemblies are drying you need to work on the front panel angles. This is the panel over the cab, the very front and the front upper with the window, sorry no pic.

I used one of these
SAM_5336.JPG

To do this
SAM_5337.JPG

SAM_5338.JPG

SAM_5339.JPG

SAM_5340.JPG

I clamped the sander into the vise and slid the parts over the sandpaper instead of sanding the part. They will look like this glued
SAM_5341.JPG

By now the glue on the bottom piece should be set pretty well, pick a side and attach it.
SAM_5342.JPG

Notice the overhang, it's there for a reason
SAM_5343.JPG

SAM_5344.JPG

After this sits for a minute I'll come back and clamp it
SAM_5345.JPG

Day 2
SAM_5346.JPG

SAM_5347.JPG

It's been about 45min since I clamped the other side so I'm going to start the front.
SAM_5348.JPG

SAM_5349.JPG

The frt upper with the window is temporarily inserted to keep things "square"
SAM_5350.JPG

On a side note, there are a few options built right in for example the frt can be oriented like this to make a recessed light location
SAM_5351.JPG

SAM_5352.JPG

Again it's been about 45 minutes
SAM_5353.JPG

SAM_5354.JPG

I used some tape along with the clamps on this one
SAM_5355.JPG

SAM_5356.JPG

SAM_5357.JPG

SAM_5358.JPG

After several hours drying it's time to get the rear panel in
SAM_5361.JPG

You can install it either way
SAM_5362.JPG

SAM_5363.JPG

SAM_5364.JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Home stretch
"edit Jan 1, 2013" The lower rear panel has been altered to be the full width of the tailgate, the lower side pieces were shortened to fit behind the rear panel. I'll get some updated pics when I do another build, all the new style kits are packed up already.
SAM_5370.JPG

SAM_5371.JPG

SAM_5372.JPG

SAM_5373.JPG

SAM_5374.JPG

SAM_5375.JPG

I did it this way so it was adjustable... I may be doing away with it though, idk
SAM_5376.JPG

SAM_5377.JPG

Mounting the locaters
SAM_5380.JPG

SAM_5381.JPG

Assembled before sanding
SAM_5382.JPG

SAM_5383.JPG

SAM_5384.JPG

SAM_5385.JPG

SAM_5386.JPG

I shoot the interior first, this is after the whole thing gets some Thompson's water seal
SAM_5387.JPG

SAM_5388.JPG

SAM_5389.JPG

Block sanded with 240 and 320
SAM_5397.JPG

SAM_5398.JPG

Basecoat... seafoam green :D
SAM_5399.JPG

SAM_5400.JPG

Last edited:
just a quick question....any chance of a plastic/styrene testor?? id love to assemble that badass!! ;-)

How thick? No reason why it couldn't be styrene... the place where I buy Delrin stocks it too. I don't think it would be near as strong, but it would most likely be lighter.

How thick? No reason why it couldn't be styrene... the place where I buy Delrin stocks it too. I don't think it would be near as strong, but it would most likely be lighter.

cant remember the thickness i used on my yota-wraith but it was the thickest my LHS carried.

cant remember the thickness i used on my yota-wraith but it was the thickest my LHS carried.

Was it 3 or 6mm? or 1/8 and 1/4" those are the popular sizes I see at my lhs'

edit: looks thinner than I mentioned above in your wraith pics... maybe 1.5 or 2mm?

Last edited:
Interested in a plastic one...and love the sleeping bag...

This picture is from last night camping

Attachments

• 2012-10-20 22.21.08.jpg
    2012-10-20 22.21.08.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,628
id say its close to the same thickness as my yota shell so yea.....1.5-2mm i spose ;-)

Alright I spoke with the plastic store and they have all sorts of thickness in stock.

I'm going to recommend 3mm or 1/8" for maximum gluing surface but if you guys with styrene experience want to chime in please do.

3mm is 80$ for a 4x8 sheet roughly 8times more than wood lol plus it's across town so if you guys want styrene PM me about a price, my buddy is down with the idea and I will keep the 4th for photos. I need 2 of them paid for though I don't want a giant piece of plastic just sitting around.

very cool idea Id be up for one when you get them ready for sale

They may be 2 wood ones available if the other guys go plastic, you want on the list? If you really want one I can cut you one this week, I'm just outta wood and wanted to see how the instructions worked, etc...

Epic new pictures! So the Honcho has been going through an advanced beautification to be worthy of such a nice camper, let me know what you think... the color is testors metallic rootbeer
SAM_5252.JPG
SAM_5251.JPG

SAM_5250.JPG
SAM_5249.JPG

SAM_5248.JPG
SAM_5246.JPG

SAM_5247.JPG

I would think you should only need 1-2mm Max on the styrene. 3mm would be heavy and overkill.
If anything add in a 1x1 to glue in at your seams. Nice looking camper!

I would think you should only need 1-2mm Max on the styrene. 3mm would be heavy and overkill.

I have to agree on this one. I usually will add quarter round in the corners to re-enforce them if needed.

Let me know a price. I may still be interested. I never worked with wood like that and is why I am apprehensive about it.

Got my camper kit today, can't wait to get started. Thanks again for the opportunity. Hope to do the kit justice and then some"thumbsup"

Sorry guys I'm not getting any emails from the forum right now... :shock:
but I have new pics!
SAM_5255.JPG

SAM_5262.JPG

Thanks for all the kind words, I don't want to sound like a broken record but I really appreciate it "thumbsup"

Noted...

Very cool camper! Nice Work.

I have to agree on this one. I usually will add quarter round in the corners to re-enforce them if needed.

Also noted, I am styrene ignorant... Do you use CA then back it with E6000 or something?

Let me know a price. I may still be interested. I never worked with wood like that and is why I am apprehensive about it.

Wood is your friend after the glue has dried the joint is stronger than the wood it's made from. PM me they're are a few unclaimed yet.

Got my camper kit today, can't wait to get started. Thanks again for the opportunity. Hope to do the kit justice and then some"thumbsup"

How in the hell did it get there so fast! I tracked it today and saw it was delivered...

Did it arrive ok? I'm a little worried about the front corners getting damaged.

that rootbeer looks killer man!! "thumbsup"

It's so 80's-riffic :mrgreen: Now I just need to make some turbine wheels!

did you ever find out about that styrene so i can build this badboy?

So here's what I see wrong with styrene
1. Its 8 times more expensive than wood
2. I fondled the 3mm and it seemed flimsy aaand heavy. I can stand on a wood one, literally... I have a pic somewhere.
3. Since it's thinner the CAD drawing is wrong and some of it will need trimmed to fit together properly.

Here's the good parts
1 It's way easier to cut
2 My bits will last longer
3 There is no dust just tiny plastic chunks
4 If you can use CA with it that'd be bad ass
5 you could layer thinner styrene for raised trim... also doable with balsa too

I'd still make a couple outta of it just to see but I don't see it going anywhere unless there's a demand... the expense alone is the worse part.

Back