• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Spectrum receiver mod? Add extra channels?

HumboldtEF

Tiny truck hoarder
Lifetime Gold Baby!
So I was just putting on some conformal coating to a 2 channel spectrum receiver and noticed that it appears to have the same circuit board as the 3,4 and 5 channel offerings......

So does it simply need these servo posts (dont know the right name) soldered in? the pads are there for the other channels.

Has anyone attempted this and/or does anyone know the name of the 3 pin/posts that this might require?

If not I plan to give this a shot. I'll try to post up pictures after work.

EDIT: nevermind on the name, I beleive this is a 3 pin header. Just need to nail down the sizing and spacing I think.

Last edited:
So I was just putting on some conformal coating to a 2 channel spectrum receiver and noticed that it appears to have the same circuit board as the 3,4 and 5 channel offerings......

So does it simply need these servo posts (dont know the right name) soldered in? the pads are there for the other channels.

Has anyone attempted this and/or does anyone know the name of the 3 pin/posts that this might require?

If not I plan to give this a shot. I'll try to post up pictures after work.

EDIT: nevermind on the name, I beleive this is a 3 pin header. Just need to nail down the sizing and spacing I think.

Should be a standard 2.54mm/0.1" pitch header.

Should be a standard 2.54mm/0.1" pitch header.

Thanks Robert!

So they do share the same board with a few differences from what I can see. The 2 channel receiver is missing the extra Headers of course but I can also see up top there are some through holes that are soldered up. I'm guessing these hole may be some type of lockout as only the 2 channel has it, these holes on the 5 channel are not soldered.
I'm not sure I have a 3 channel to check but I'm curious what through holes are soldered if any.

If those are a lockout of sorts I'm not sure if de-soldering it will do the trick, I may need to carefully drill them out maybe?

iCo3u5g.jpg

HMevylT.jpg

Last edited:
A little desoldering braid will take off that solder in the pots that might need to be removed. It should be easier than drilling them out.

Don't waste your time trying to unsolder those 2 points. They are not connecting anything. The 10 holes up there are used for programming the processor and there is no way to fill in a solder point like that. The holes are called a via: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_(electronics) it connects the 2 side of the circuit board together. Filling them in with solder doesn't change anything. It is unlikely that they would ever use a physical lockout like that. I'm guessing that they anything preventing this from working they probably have a different firmware on the processor that locks out the extra channels.

Back