• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Soze's GMADE GOM GR01 Build

Soze, just started my build and just finished the axles. Did you experience any gear mesh issues? One of my axles gear mesh is very rough and not smooth at all. I have tore it down once and re-greased with no luck. Appreciate any suggestions.

I did not run into any gear mesh issues, but your problem could possibly be that you put in your diff locker in backwards. Make sure the rounded side of the diff locker tab is pointed towards the case and away from the bevel gear. I point it out in my build video.

https://youtu.be/BdzVMEqeBBc?t=10m56s

Soze, just started my build and just finished the axles. Did you experience any gear mesh issues? One of my axles gear mesh is very rough and not smooth at all. I have tore it down once and re-greased with no luck. Appreciate any suggestions.

I had this problem on one axle. I took it apart and closely inspected everything, re-greased really well, but I never did figure out what was causing it. As it turns out, it could only be felt when spinning by hand because I haven't noticed it since that early assembly step (my GOM is completed and drives). I actually forgot about it until I read your post.

Obviously we don't know if mine was as bad as yours is, but you might be OK to continue with assembly and see how it drives.

After multiple rebuilds of the axle, found some minute, residual amount of plastic on the diff case (from the plastic tree) that was causing it to rub against the actual bevel gear. Drove me nuts not being able to get a smooth feel when rotating by hand. Nevertheless, after some finish work on the diff case I was able to get it a lot smoother. Thanks all for the advise. Now to get back to building.

Finally decided on a driver for my GOM.

Tunnel Rat from GI JOE Sigma 6 line

39514802812_ebc206e20c_b.jpg

38648428485_f85370b510_b.jpg

39514797572_60705f92e4_b.jpg

38648419285_fc745c69bf_b.jpg

On Another note... I spent time thinking about how to protect the shifter slot for the 2-speed transmission.
Do I cover it with lexan, somehow make a rubber boot?
In the end, my head was already fatigued from work and I just thought... 3M Tape.... piece of felt.... it'll work. LOL

39514787392_f728f13f44_b.jpg

38648415865_f384c0c3f7_b.jpg

Finally installed the last 2 upgrade parts that I have on hand. (Although I'll probably upgrade some more parts as they are released in the future).

First was the GMADE Aluminum Skid Plate (available on eBay) to give the bottom a little more protection and give the bottom sides an angled flat surface to prevent getting hung up. It also has a minor protrusion to protect a little of the 2-speed transmission area.

38653485445_45a00398da_b.jpg

38840603634_002d749a04_b.jpg

38653484675_aafd78cf70_b.jpg

Also got around to installing the GMADE CVA/CVDs. Holy Moly what a difference in steering angle!!! I'm going to need to spend some time adjusting my steering end points.

38840603304_c76dffce81_b.jpg

38653483695_47d1acd644_b.jpg

38840603054_e41c5df47b_b.jpg

My fave driver figure ever - I normally can't stand any of them... very nice looking GOM!

Wow that is a pretty big difference in steering angle from those Uni's.

I dont think that felt mod is bad at all, it should have good flexibility and do a good job of keeping crud out.

Great work Soze!

Bloody hell, I'll never have any money. Having read through this thread I now need one of these! :D

Soze, any tips to improve the shifter to be smoother? Can't get mine to be smooth without the servo stressing. Appreciate any input.

I just got mine and have yet to start building it.
Have you been able to run it and find any weak spots or other issues?

I just got mine and have yet to start building it.
Have you been able to run it and find any weak spots or other issues?

Got in a test run today. Went ok, but I need to find something a little more challenging for it. Just haven't had time to really get out.

Soze, any tips to improve the shifter to be smoother? Can't get mine to be smooth without the servo stressing. Appreciate any input.

I don't know what to tell you other than adjusting the end points the best you can. I use a Savox 254mg so plenty of power.

I also greased the groove for the shifter guide top and bottom.

One thing I do have is the aluminum Hi/Lo shift fork. I plan to get the aluminum dig shift fork when that's available too.

So, I went out hoping to test the truck out at a local spot that I found people talking about on the forums. Head out there today and discovered that the spot is now a paved road.

Ended up just taking it for a light run at the community trail with what little time I had left.

https://youtu.be/fv1onIJeO54

Last edited:
Is this the 20mm long version?

The stock servo horn is 20mm

n86Zjg3l.jpg

I went for the 24mm version just in case I ever needed the 24mm hole but I am currently using the 20mm hole. A bit of material needs to be trimmed off so the longer 24mm horn doesn't hit.

Z4Sas7Wl.jpg

Back