• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Solitaire's 2nd SuckerPunch

Thanks, that's my plan. Took the motor/tranny out last night and will attempt to cut and drill tomorrow. That should take care of a couple of issues.

Found some lexan hopefully thin enough to bend for the electronics tray and will hack that up tomorrow as well. It's about 2.5mm thick, so we'll see how that works out.

I finally got the tranny shaft cut and drilled. Not as tough as I thought it would be. Had to reverse the bolt holding the upper link to the chassis as there is no extra room. Clearances are so tight on most everything.

DSCN3967B_zpshpmtk1ni.jpg

Also cut up and bent a piece of lexan for the electronics tray. Should have taken a pic before mounting the electronics, but I was anxious to see if everything was going to fit.

DSCN3968B_zpsepue0i8o.jpg

DSCN3969B_zpsvc7bidpj.jpg

Steering is great, but I'm a bit worried about the angle of the draglink and servo arm. Have a feeling it'll go past center in a bind situation. I'll either have to add some stops or try a longer servo arm. EPA's are set so the tires just rub on the links and I don't want to reduce that any. VooDoos are also not narrowed.

DSCN3971B_zpso9dxyjhe.jpg

Tried it out around the living room here and a piece of plywood I use as an incline. All works well other than needing more weight up front. Not sure if I can stuff any more RCBros weights in there without having to go with a wider stance. I'm at 11" now.

Next up is finding a smaller body that meets the new 2016 rules.

Last edited:
Certainly not as light as I can get it, but not bad at this point. I've used very little alum hardware and there's a few places to shave off an ounce or two.

RTR with 350mAh Lipo, but no lid...yet.

DSCN3972B_zpslh2bflxm.jpg

Any idea on which body will be on this Nice set up? ??i am curious, a nice xciter can make a beauty with

Good build Bob !

Thanks, David. I think I'll bring it along next weekend for a trial run at our Sporty comp.

Any idea on which body will be on this Nice set up? ??i am curious, a nice xciter can make a beauty with

I have an Xciter all painted up for this one, Kaven, but I'm going to run a Grappler Pro til I can find a smaller (2016) version. I still need to trim a bit more off the bottom so it doesn't catch the rocks. The Grappler is made of a little thicker lexan and may last a bit longer than the Xciter.

DSCN3982B_zpsbgb3hzf1.jpg

DSCN3983B_zpschwujmak.jpg

look nice will you put some decals on,put i preferer the shafty with xciter ,don't know why !!but your one is a different way and i like it too,another 5th d great build,continue i will keep an eye on this build.

OK, a couple of build-specific decals and a slight body trim and it's as ready as it's going to be. I'll test it out this weekend at our comp...weather permitting.

DSCN3985B_zpsx9xzovlt.jpg

Well, the truck worked very well for it's maiden today. Too bad the driver didn't function as well. Still need to work on the steering. There's still lots of angle left in the unis before they'll bind up, but as mentioned, the tires are up against the front lowers as it is, so I'll need to come up with a plan.

Longer servo horn and maybe an inward bend to the front lowers...or go wider yet.

No ill affects with the bent rear uppers, but I didn't work the truck that hard.

could you move the link and shock to the inner ear of the bracket and then just trim the other ear off? Not sure how it would effect the geometry but it might give you what you need if it doesnt.

After viewing a video of my first run last weekend, it's not as much a steering issue as it is a link issue. Truck is pushing a bit, so I'll fiddle around with the links and see if I can eliminate that.

The push issue affected the "dig" performance of the over/under gears.

Oh I think a few little tuning things and she is good to go. It is a very well built rig and runs very well, a little running on the rock pile during our winter pro series and she will be good to go for next year.

Oh I think a few little tuning things and she is good to go. It is a very well built rig and runs very well, a little running on the rock pile during our winter pro series and she will be good to go for next year.

Thanks, Deron. The COG is certainly lower than my first SuckerPunch...just need to get the kinks worked out.

That's one of the reasons I love having video of your runs

Yep, the vids are a good tool to help with tuning. I even heard someone say "it's pushing a bit" in the video. Missed that comment during the comp, though.

Did the push, get better with moving the rears up?

Sure you don't have the OD/UD gears in the wrong axles!? Lol..

Can we get pics of your shock and link geo, with the body off?
Like, side, top, front, rear?

Haven't tried it out on the rocks yet to see if moving up a hole is a correction.
Top hole at the rear of the chassis, 3rd hole on the chassis front.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Back