• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Second vehicle now that I've got an RC "problem"

Anton Chigurh

After 25 years of being our of RC I recently picked up a used Slash Ultimate to drive with my kids. What I have found is that I love it, and am now really enjoying driving, modifying, and painting new bodies for the car "with the kids". The problem is that the Slash is too much for them to handle, even with 2s and in training mode. My 7 year old son takes "bashing" to a whole new level, and the kids managed to break a steering turnbuckle within 10 minutes on our first run.

I'd like to add a second vehicle to the fleet, and have noticed my son's disappointment when he put the Slash on some rocks in the park and tried to crawl. I'm thinking of going with an SCX10, an AX10 or one of the new Axial Bombers as a Christmas present for the kids (and myself). I have also considered a Nightcrawler, but it seems like it is a pure crawler more than a jack of all trades. I'd like to get something that can be run in the grass in the park across the street, but that is also capable in rough terrain, playing in the snow, and some crawling. Skill level should be relatively low. It doesn't need to be a speed demon (actually preferrably not). Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have found my scx10 rtr to be very tough and over a year later no problems. Took it on a couple of group crawls even, fell off rocks rolled down hills 100x nothing broken

My 6 y/o drives my SCX-10, it's quite slow, especially on 2s, he's yet to break anything on it. It isn't a stock RTR though, but it's not fully built either, (aluminum knuckles/C hubs, good motor/ESC and strong servo, aluminum links).

The Wraith is a fun vehicle to drive. It can be a little top heavy which will make it flip under too much throttle but fun on trail ,grass and rock. The 2.2s make it a bit easier for new crawlers to get it over things that can be more challenging for the 1.9 rigs.

thats going to be a pretty fast crawler, from what you asked for it sounds like you want a wraith. The rr10 wraith axle + yeti trans = fast.

I really like the looks of the SCX10 Deadbolt and will probably wind up with one at some point, but I am leaning towards a Wraith Spawn or RR10 because I think the kids will appreciate the 2.2s for rolling over terrain.

My 6 y/o drives my SCX-10, it's quite slow, especially on 2s, he's yet to break anything on it. It isn't a stock RTR though, but it's not fully built either, (aluminum knuckles/C hubs, good motor/ESC and strong servo, aluminum links).

I agree here. The SCX10 is a good vehicle for kids, as is the wraith. Out of the box RTR versions are ok but you will want to look into upgraded knuckles for kids who crash alot, and upgraded drive shafts for kids who forget to let go of the throttle after getting stuck. Also for both reasons keep the slipper clutch loose. outside that both trucks are good for kids and can take a fair beating!

So Chad, is your recommendation the RR10?

I'm getting back into the hobby with an rr10. The reason so far is the bigger size. I just like to hike and trail with my cars and the smaller scx10 would get stuck a lot on your average hike. I put a lot of cash into it and set it up with more power and bigger wheels and larger stance. It still failed a lot. I did the same thing to a slash. Most of the time the slash could just power over and out of the situation but that wasn't as fun. Just my 3 cents.

Mine is similar and my 7 and 8 year olds have been abusing mine for over a month now with no problem. Had to change a steering servo that had an electrical short according to my lhs but I have built all sorts of rock gardens and mountains and they try to race through them and everything has been holding up.

In my experience, it's less about which truck than it is their personality and how you engage them. Our 6 year old (aka Roo) has as much fun with the 1.9 rigs (SCX-10, Ascender, a few others) as he does with the 2.2 rigs (a Wraith and an R1 Frankenstein). Roo has always enjoyed driving, but his interest went to a completely different level as I got him more involved in the builds. He now does most of the basic assembly (chassis, suspension, etc) on most of our builds,

If you're going to go RTR, I'd recommend the new Ascender Bronco RTR over an SCX-10. Both are capable box stock, but the Ascender more so than the SCX-10, and the Ascender will be more durable out of the box without needing upgrades. I'd go with the Bronco body over the Blazer body because the Blazer body is a bit big and can get in the way for a new driver. Good luck and have fun!

thats going to be a pretty fast crawler, from what you asked for it sounds like you want a wraith. The rr10 wraith axle + yeti trans = fast.

I just talked with an Axial CSR about the RR10, and after looking at the specs he was surprised to say that it would max out at about 10 mph with 2s. His comment was, "but it looks so fast!" Will this be a more capable crawler then the Wraith out of the box?

In my experience, it's less about which truck than it is their personality and how you engage them. Our 6 year old (aka Roo) has as much fun with the 1.9 rigs (SCX-10, Ascender, a few others) as he does with the 2.2 rigs (a Wraith and an R1 Frankenstein). Roo has always enjoyed driving, but his interest went to a completely different level as I got him more involved in the builds. He now does most of the basic assembly (chassis, suspension, etc) on most of our builds,

If you're going to go RTR, I'd recommend the new Ascender Bronco RTR over an SCX-10. Both are capable box stock, but the Ascender more so than the SCX-10, and the Ascender will be more durable out of the box without needing upgrades. I'd go with the Bronco body over the Blazer body because the Blazer body is a bit big and can get in the way for a new driver. Good luck and have fun!

...and I was just going to say Vaterra Ascender! Great truck out of the box, lots of included parts are "hop-ups" for Axial, my Ascender has been rocking hard and keeps coming back for more! I love the scale looks of it and it's easy to swap to different body later if you want. "thumbsup"

I just talked with an Axial CSR about the RR10, and after looking at the specs he was surprised to say that it would max out at about 10 mph with 2s. His comment was, "but it looks so fast!" Will this be a more capable crawler then the Wraith out of the box?

It will be more capable out of the box imo, looks great, but going to require more parts right off the bat than an Ascender. EDIT: As far as speed, that sounds about right on 2s with stock motor and gearing. You'll need brushless motor and esc along with batteries capable of feeding it if you want to go fast.

Last edited:
There is a nice cross-generational theme in this thread with little guys driving dad's rigs. A grandson works super for getting new and different rigs. I get them for grandson and it greatly expands the fleet.
with the "extras" living at my son's house.

First of all, HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I think I have narrowed it down to the Wraith Spawn or the new RR10 Bomber because after driving with my son again yesterday it is clear that at his skill level he will benefit from 2.2s. I will probably pick up an SCX10 to drive trails and crawl with him in the near future.

Any thoughts on the capabilities of the RR10 vs the Spawn? I know it is all conjecture until they are delivered to buyers in about 5 days, but I'm just wondering based upon the available specs. It seems like the RR10 already has some features like forward battery compartment and better shocks that I'd eventually want to add to the spawn.

Last edited:
Back