• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

SCX10 III coming soon?

MUCH BETTER! What we really wanted to see! Great changes, lots of bits to be used for future builds. Non portals on the way too? Awesome. Best way Axial has ever released something!

Patiently waiting for a "sport" without dig or portals on a new (2021) bronco body...
That's the only way i'd bite.

Or maybe just slap the new bronco body on my enduro and call it good lol

Last edited:
Patiently waiting for a "sport" without dig or portals on a new (2021) bronco body...
Thays the only way i'd bite.

I'm not sure if there will be a version without the dig, since I think SBG's video mentioned that there are parts to omit the 2-speed and dig features included? (Kind of like how the SCX10.2 cherokee was initially built with a 2-speed capable transmission, but came with it in single speed mode)

Seems like definitely will be a version without portals though.

I'm not sure if there will be a version without the dig, since I think SBG's video mentioned that there are parts to omit the 2-speed and dig features included?

Seems like definitely will be a version without portals though.

I agree.

If you look at the manual for the SCX10 III, it has the dig lockout spacer just like the Capra. That may be as simple as the transmission on this truck ever gets.

Aside from a few carry over "designs" (driveshafts) the chassis is all new and completely different from the SCX10 II. The beauty of working with a new vendor allows you to start fresh. There are items carried over from the Capra, but again those were all new parts at the new vendor.

The chassis rails while similar to the Vaterra rails are drastically different. Horizon Hobby held the patent on the 2 piece adjustable rail, so we were able to tap into that to create a 2 piece adjustable frame rail set. These rails allow for more up travel front and rear over the old SCX10 II rails using the portal axles. Even more with a straight axle.

I agree.

If you look at the manual for the SCX10 III, it has the dig lockout spacer just like the Capra. That may be as simple as the transmission on this truck ever gets.

The text from axial very much seems to say:

"If you want dig, build it with dig. If not, don't"
"If you want it 2 speed, build it 2 speed. If not, don't"

The text from axial very much seems to say:

"If you want dig, build it with dig. If not, don't"
"If you want it 2 speed, build it 2 speed. If not, don't"

And if they designed it that way - great! Options are good.

Aside from a few carry over "designs" (driveshafts) the chassis is all new and completely different from the SCX10 II. The beauty of working with a new vendor allows you to start fresh. There are items carried over from the Capra, but again those were all new parts at the new vendor.

The chassis rails while similar to the Vaterra rails are drastically different. Horizon Hobby held the patent on the 2 piece adjustable rail, so we were able to tap into that to create a 2 piece adjustable frame rail set. These rails allow for more up travel front and rear over the old SCX10 II rails using the portal axles. Even more with a straight axle.

Didn't realize the frame was patented.

Good work on this truck. Can't wait to build mine. And I'm so happy it's an all-new design. That was needed IMO.

Hi Guys, figured i'd to a quick pop in over here. I'll try and address a couple of the questions and comments here:
1. A Jeep....yes. Though many of you hard core guys are tired of Jeeps, the Jeep has been Axials number one seller by far over any other types we've released in the past. Add to the fact that Jeep has been an awesome partner it was a no brainer for us. The good news for you haters is that we include an extra set of body mounts in various sizes and shapes so you can mount any non-Jeep body you want.

2. Materials: Built at the same factory as the Capra, the SCX10-III is using all the new materials. Fit and finish are far superior to our older models.
Builders tip: One thing i will note, when you build your SCX10-III, our shock towers are very stiff, I would highly suggest not using a power driver to thread the screws into these these towers. In fact i would suggest tapping them first. NOT that it can't be done but they are so stuff that its a good idea to do this first.

3. The Frame rails are not from an Ascender, however now that Axial is a brand of Horizon, we were able to take advantage of the Patent we have for that type of frame rails.

4. Non-Portal Axles: Yes at some point we will have non-portal axles. I don't have a time frame for release but yes we are working on them. It will require more changes than just swapping axles, thus the reason we mention the optional gear ratios

5. Why the midnight video launch? Frankly, our International partners tend to go live on their Thursday which is usually much earlier than our Thursday, so why not...thats the simple reason

6. There are currently no plans for a "Sport" model.

7. Overdrive: The Overdrive gears we offer for the Capra are drop ins on the SCX10 III

8. Two Speed: About 40% faster than first. If it was my total decision, I would not have included 2 speed but that's just me. Our dealers and "other" consumers think they gotta have 2 speeds and that's ok. On my personal rigs, i run the two speed locked out.

9. Manual errors like the Capra: Well, There might be a couple typos BUT nothing like I missed in the Capra manual. The main one to pay attention too is the Panhard bar mount. We have two different mounts, one for portals and one for Standard axles but as long as you open the bags in the proper order of assembly, you won't have any issues when you build it. Also, I recommend lots of grease on all the gears.

This project has been a blast to work on with Matt Kearney and the rest of our team that all had input.
I look forward to you guys that are getting one to build it. I'll try and get back here to answer some questions but work is swamped with more cool stuff coming out in the future :twisted:

Rich

#WhoMadeJatoAMod LOL

4. Non-Portal Axles: Yes at some point we will have non-portal axles. I don't have a time frame for release but yes we are working on them. It will require more changes than just swapping axles, thus the reason we mention the optional gear ratios

This project has been a blast to work on with Matt Kearney and the rest of our team that all had input.
I look forward to you guys that are getting one to build it. I'll try and get back here to answer some questions but work is swamped with more cool stuff coming out in the future :twisted:

Rich

Cool, thanks for dropping in Rich.

I'm happy to hear there will be a straight axle version. I'm interested to see what changes will be implemented to make that work well.

I'm looking forward to seeing "more cool stuff" as well.

Thanks for the details Rich![emoji106]

After watching Matt’s video this morning, I am more excited than ever to buy another Axial Kit![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich and Matt,

This thing looks fantastic. From what I have seen so far, you guys really did a lot of great design work on the SCX10 III. I love the fact that you kept the AR45 portals the same width of the AR44 axles. The jeep looks great and all the details make a huge difference. The platform looks like a really big step forward that should serve Axial well for a while. I backordered one through Horizon today. "thumbsup"

Back