• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Ruined scx10 pro

Thanks. This is officially my first portal rig now. Lol

The dig works well. I posted some visors on fb and ig. I've got a few being printed in stainless that should be here in a week or 2. The plastic part was great to test the design but I don't want to rely on it surviving inside the trans long term.

One other update I just did after posting those pictures. I swapped in the super short vp shock ends from my Phoenix parts tree to lower the rear just a few more mm. Once I get the cage back on it should sit pretty close to level.

Pro tip. If anyone tries these shock ends on the pro shocks, put the spring on before you install the rod end. The spring doesn't fit over it. Lol
JryU8mk.jpeg

GjKKHdP.jpeg

Last edited:
These showed up from the printer today. 316L stainless. I streamlined the model a bit since I didn't think a metal part would need as much material, but I had already sent it to the printer by the time I updated the drawing.

I'm really pleased with the quality of the parts. The bearings fit very snug. They ended up about 6 grams heavier than the gears it replaces so not a big issue that the updated design didn't get there in time.

I'm going to sell 4 of these if people want them. $30 each basically to cover the cost and effort to get them made. Once they are sold I'll share the design on my thingiverse for anyone who wants to make their own.

I still need to get mine installed to make sure everything works as expected, but I don't see any reason it won't.

FADN4LZ.jpeg

Nice work on the dig and axle swap. Curious to hear how it performs.

How do you like that steering servo? I want to switch to a low profile since I'm running axle mounted steering. Holmes was teasing a low pro SHV650 a couple months ago but seems it has been delayed. Been considering one of those 700v2s instead.

Nice work on the dig and axle swap. Curious to hear how it performs.

How do you like that steering servo? I want to switch to a low profile since I'm running axle mounted steering. Holmes was teasing a low pro SHV650 a couple months ago but seems it has been delayed. Been considering one of those 700v2s instead.

I've only been out one since the servo swap and it worked fine. Can't really speak to long term yet.

My micro rs100 on the other hand has randomly died again when I just went to test the stainless dig unit. Probably a loose wire inside as its completely unresponsive. It did this same thing in my bomber where it was initially installed. I was about to send it back around the time I was building the pro and I tested it and it worked fine again. Here months later it's acting up again. Probably past the warranty period now. I just ordered the same agfrc micro servo that replaced the nsdrc on the Bomber.

That sucks. I'm running their micro winch in my 2 new builds. Only used one of them a couple times but so far so good. Definitely not as strong or fast as my Reefs comp spec but its a heck of a lot smaller and lighter. I've read good things about NSDRC customer service so maybe he'll help you out?

I've read good things about NSDRC customer service so maybe he'll help you out?

I do need to reach out. There's definitely something loose where the wire goes into the servo. I pulled it last night and wiggled the wire and it started working again. Once the new servo comes I'll get it swapped and contact nsdrc about the issue.

I just wanted to test the dig unit and I managed to get it working for that last night. Dig works great so that's a nice result.

Nice diff flip in the F10. Very nice Dremel work! I've been thinking about adding a rear portal axle to one of my builds, but have been putting it off. You made it look much easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the Thingiverse link. You have some good stuff on there!"thumbsup"

Nice diff flip in the F10. Very nice Dremel work! I've been thinking about adding a rear portal axle to one of my builds, but have been putting it off. You made it look much easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the Thingiverse link. You have some good stuff on there!"thumbsup"

Thanks man. I was mostly worried about putting a hole through the housing. I just took my time and test fit the diff a number of times until it fully cleared.

For thingiverse, I try to share anything I make that I think others might find useful.

It would be nice if folks who used them would share their pics. I've only seen 1 or 2 pictures from users who posted something I had designed in spite of hundreds of downloads.

Thanks man. I was mostly worried about putting a hole through the housing. I just took my time and test fit the diff a number of times until it fully cleared.

For thingiverse, I try to share anything I make that I think others might find useful.

It would be nice if folks who used them would share their pics. I've only seen 1 or 2 pictures from users who posted something I had designed in spite of hundreds of downloads.

I do normally share pics and the designers name of the 3D prints that I use. I will most definitely make sure to post pics and give you a shout out if or when I do use the prints!"thumbsup"

Yeah, grinding a hole in the housing would be my concern as well. I did hear someone ask Josh recently about making the housings so that they diff could be mounted either way. Hopefully VP will make the change in the future.

I do normally share pics and the designers name of the 3D prints that I use. I will most definitely make sure to post pics and give you a shout out if or when I do use the prints!"thumbsup"

Yeah, grinding a hole in the housing would be my concern as well. I did hear someone ask Josh recently about making the housings so that they diff could be mounted either way. Hopefully VP will make the change in the future.

I caught that too. I was happy to see the f10 axles revised to have link mounts on the housing vs the third member mounted link mounts on f9’s, but then I thought how nice it would have been if they would have clearenced the housing for the ring gear. Apparently they didn’t to prevent people accidentally installing the third member wrong.

I really like the mods you’ve done here, very clever on the dig setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up some scale hardware for the wheels from locked up last week. Made the cheap wheels look a lot nicer.

This morning I swapped the front axle back to AMS and 4-link. Nothing wrong with the chassis mount servo, but the Ams should perform better in general. It also saved a little weight (~30 grams overall) after the change.

Still haven't had a chance to take it out since the portal swap. I took my real crawler out acouple weeks ago and broke the transfer case so I've been working on getting that fixed.

91VyZbE.jpeg

5LhTyj0.jpeg

Big update. Picked up some better lug nuts, also from Lockeduprc.com, I didn't see these these first time I ordered, but its a better look imo.

And it cost me another $85 now since I just ordered hardware for for 12 more wheels. Also got a set of wera drivers for the tiny bolts. Lol

ZFQRjj8.jpeg

How's the Pro been treating you?

It's been good. I haven't really made any changes, just doing some crawling to get familiar with how it behaves on the rocks. I'm planning to try running a comp a group puts on at Stone Mountain. Just gotta get one of their events to line up with my schedule.

I decided to put this car up for sale locally. Selling as a slider and moving all the bits to my vrd that I have yet to start building.

The pro has been great, but I'm looking to run some comps in the area and the rules they use don't care about scale points or anything. It's basically class 2ish, no rear steer or dig, 5" max tire (measured), and that's about it. The plan for the vrd will probably be stock, keep it light and simple. I should be able to cut half a pound or more from where my pro is currently.

I could run the pro in the comps, but without ditching the cool stuff I made for it I don't think it would be competitive. I'd rather move it along intact and see where the next build takes me.

Back