• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Restart RC

Yonzariq

Pebble Pounder
Hi all :)

I am not new to RC but pretty new to crawling, scaling etc.
Sold my bulletproof Stampede 4x4 basher a year or 3 ago and never bought anything back due to time issues.
Only got a TA-03F roller in pretty good shape lying around somewhere...

But a buddy of mine got me hooked on RC again.
He's running a SCX10 with 50turns brushed motor on 2s lipo's.
And I like the crawl/trail aspect of it, but it is a bit too slow for my taste.

In the past I only used RC's for speed and bashing but since I tried the SCX10 I am more into crawling/scaling etc.
We mainly have forest/parks around here with a lot of trees, rocks, mud etc. where we went for a hike with the SCX10.
So that is where it will be used most of the time.
But I also have the possibility to go to some sand dunes.

Now I am looking at both the Yeti and Wraith kits, both pretty expensive at around €380/$430 but well worth the money as the Axial kits seem pretty good quality from what I have seen so far.
This will be combined with a brushless set, most likely a Sidewinder V3 combo set of around 3500kv.
I plan on running it on 2s only.
I am not searching for the high speeds of the Stampede 4x4 but also not as slow as the SCX10.

I myself think a Wraith will be the best option for me, but as it is quite an investment, I also have to buy all the other stuff again, Tx/Rx, lipo's, charger etc. I am looking for some opinions from the more experienced people :)

Maybe I'll even look for a good used RC, but that would be local, as shipping from the US to Europe also isn't cheap.

Sounds like a fun place to go trail running!!! I am newer to crawling but race weekly so here is my input for ya.

I love my MT4, I have my race rigs programmed in it and my crawlers. it is light and very good on the battery life.

Any Lipo will work for crawling, I like to get a larger capacity so that I don't have to change batteries as often. No need for major C ratings or anything like that.

As far as the charger, I have the ICharger, no need for that crawling. I'd say find something that has the power supply attached so you don't have to lug around 2 things, also you might want one that you can connect to your car battery for when you're out in the field.

Hope that helps ya a bit.

Go sensored if you want to crawl, otherwise you'll cog alot. I threw a sv3 and bl in my wraith, and it was quick but it didn't really crawl. I am running the sv3 in brushed mode with a hh tqmaster 27t, on 3s. And it retains the quickness, but crawls like a champ

thanks for the tips so far, I'll look into a nice sensored setup also :)

@BCrumB4, by MT4, you mean the Sanwa Mt4?

I would go with the yeti... It's more of a racing style but it scales very nicely. As for the wraith it's really top heavy so you will find yourself flipping it back up a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll just think some more about it, not in a hurry :)

Seen a Wraith at the LHS last week and like how it looks, unfortunately he didn't have a Yeti at the moment, should have one somewhere this week, so I'll go back again next weekend to put them next to each other and see what I like most.

Been to the LHS last weekend to check out both the Wraith and Yeti and put them side to side.
Also had a chat with the guy there about both cars
He actually advised the Wraith over the Yeti if I also want to do some trail running.

According to him, the Yeti doesn't do any good in trail running, and without a big pile of money it also isn't capable of some light bashing or allround running.
Where the Wraith does pretty good in trail running but also is slower when bashing

Been to the LHS last weekend to check out both the Wraith and Yeti and put them side to side.
Also had a chat with the guy there about both cars
He actually advised the Wraith over the Yeti if I also want to do some trail running.

According to him, the Yeti doesn't do any good in trail running, and without a big pile of money it also isn't capable of some light bashing or allround running.
Where the Wraith does pretty good in trail running but also is slower when bashing

Love my Wraith!!! I bought the RTR rig and put in another 150 bucks. (HH 35T, savox servo, drive lines, VP steering links and a BEC) the thing will go almost anywhere I want it to go and still has enough speed to throw a little roost and do donuts.

No probs for the late response, I'm not that fast either, lol.

If I get one it will actually be a kit version, it's great to build them first.
I really like the looks of the Yeti, but somehow the wraith attracts me much more.
So I'll probably go for a Wraith and maybe throw in some upgrades when building it, now only the funds left... :p

i have both rigs, my wraith is better for crawling and my yeti is for all out ballin! you could go either way really as my wraith has already been a drag jeep before, both are excellent rigs with limitless upgrades etc..

So I've been going to a few local RC shops of the last week for info and prices etc...
I want the Wraith Spawn kit version.
But somehow all of my local shops only stock the Wraith Spawn RTR, none of them has the kit or can/will order it for me...
Are there a lot of differences between the Spawn Kit & RTR?

Ya you get metal links, cvds and 'better shocks'. You also get the opportunity to pick out better electronics, although you have to budget for that as well. It will probably end up more expensive than the rtr, but with better performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll just go for the RTR and upgrade as I break stuff.
I finally got hold of a shop that can sell me any Wraith version, but i don't really get the prices...
- Spawn RTR 450€, Spawn Kit 430€
- Wraith RTR 460€, Wraith kit 360€

With that 20€ of difference the RTR is a nice starting point to get running right away.

Really can't go wrong with a Axial RTR to get back into RC. Their RTR's perform really well right out of the box. The bare minimum I would do out of the box though, is to upgrade the steering links from plastic to aluminum.

Go sensored if you want to crawl, otherwise you'll cog alot. I threw a sv3 and bl in my wraith, and it was quick but it didn't really crawl. I am running the sv3 in brushed mode with a hh tqmaster 27t, on 3s. And it retains the quickness, but crawls like a champ
whats is sencored? sorry for noob ??? thanks in advance.

whats is sencored? sorry for noob ??? thanks in advance.

A seonsored motor and ESC, brushless motors are either sensored or sensorless. Sensored motors have three hall-effect sensors to let the ESC know the position of the rotor. These sensors are not on the sensorless motors.

When spinning just a couple of hundred RPM's or less sensorless motors can cog (chatter/stutter), some more than others, and it can be a little annoying. Sensored motors show very little to zero cogging at these ultra low RPM's. I've read that some ESC's remedy the sensorless motor cogging by setting a start-up RPM that can bypass the cogging stage.

Been some time haha

Well, had to postpone the new rc for some time as one of my dogs got sick.
All taken care of now :)

I had the chance to really test some cars out, not only on the LHS test track, so I have tried a Wraith, Yeti, Twin Hammers and a fast SCX10.
This also made me change up my mind completely regarding my choice...
Yeti (RTR-version), great truck, fast with some crawlability when used with a sensored setup
Wraith, also a great truck, not as fast but with better crawlability
Twin Hammers, looks great, but didn't seem all that good, got to drive it 15min, then the owner took it back only to break it within 5 min
SCX10, thing was crazy fast, made it almost unable to crawl, and driving it on high speed wasn't all that fun either

I had most fun with the Yeti that day, that thing was so much fun, I need one too!
Now on to the Yeti forum :p

Been some time haha

Well, had to postpone the new rc for some time as one of my dogs got sick.
All taken care of now :)

I had the chance to really test some cars out, not only on the LHS test track, so I have tried a Wraith, Yeti, Twin Hammers and a fast SCX10.
This also made me change up my mind completely regarding my choice...
Yeti (RTR-version), great truck, fast with some crawlability when used with a sensored setup
Wraith, also a great truck, not as fast but with better crawlability
Twin Hammers, looks great, but didn't seem all that good, got to drive it 15min, then the owner took it back only to break it within 5 min
SCX10, thing was crazy fast, made it almost unable to crawl, and driving it on high speed wasn't all that fun either

I had most fun with the Yeti that day, that thing was so much fun, I need one too!
Now on to the Yeti forum :p

Don't forget Vaterra Ascender, I have a Wraith, SCX10, and Ascender, I like the Ascender a lot. Wraith is boring too wide and big. Yeti is more high speed, it and Wraith need several hundred dollars in upgrades right out of the box imo. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

...my vote leans towards the Wraith.

Because it it can crawl or bash dependent on personal set up.
It also offers more aftermarket support/options then many others.

Is it a great RTR straight out the box ?
Maybe not... but a little effort can change everything.

Even if it's not great straight out the RTR box...
it has the potential to become great ! jm $ .02

My new Wraith kit never saw it's original 1/10th scale form/build...
and was altered, day one, to be an 1/6 scale crawler instead.

Why ? ...because it can

Mfgr'd RTR kits will always be less then perfect
along with most anything else that is bundled ;-)

Back