• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

RedCat Scout II or Axial Trail Honcho?

93civEJ1

Anyone running one of these? How is the aftermarket support? Is there enough to make it a pretty decent and capable rig?

I want to enter the 1/10 area, but I dont want to spend a fortune. My first choice was a gladiator SCX10.3, but they are 519, plus charger and battery. By the time i do all of that, I am easily at 600$.

next I had thought of doing a TRX-4 sport (RTR or Kit). I like the Tan RTR, and the Kit would be fun because I like to build. But right now it appears Traxxas stuff is like finding gold at the moment. Not likely.

I also contemplated doing a SCX10.2 kit, and buying all the electronics, gladiator body, and so on, and no portal, and now a previous chassis model. By the time I do all of that, I am getting back up pretty high in price, and also there is no INSTANT gratification of getting out to play right away.

I have now stumbled across the RedCat Gen 8 Scout II in the green. I think that thing looks great, has portal axles and the price at 299 looks good. I also can get a discount on that as well. I love the looks of it, and that green looks amazing to me. Not sure on performance and support? Anyone have one? Thoughts?

I have also entertained the idea of the Axial Trail Honcho, just because it looks decent, and is priced at 329 for a RTR. Its the SCX10.2, but it doesnt have a lot of the upgrade parts the SCX10.2 kit has. Anyone have one of these? Thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated. i would mainly be doing just trails around town, but at the same time I want something capable at rock crawling if I ever want to comp or just get really technical.

Of the two, I would choose the gen 8. Plenty of aftermarket support (though not nearly as much as axial). The gen 8 v2 is solid. Better plastics than axial & very capable out of the box. It also comes with a 25kg servo installed. The servo in the axial is garbage. Maybe a wheel & tire change & you've got a truck that will hang with any other rtr currently available.

A couple years ago I was running a built to the hilt 10.2 (stock gears and shafts) based rig in a scale comp and there was a line where you could bind up a front tire pretty bad but power out if you cared. I beat my rig through and finished the course. A guy after me tried the same line with his gen 8 and blew the ring & pinion, axle shaft and the portal gears at the same time. Redcat has a low price point but you get what you pay for. Take the axial tax and enjoy.

the gen8 v2 is alot better than the v1 gears arent a issue any more and is a vary capable crawler out of the box it dozent realy need any upgrades just fix what breaks if anything dose let go there isent a huge aftermarket for the gen8 some but nothing like axial
axial has a huge aftermarket fallowing and your gona need it the honcho although is a better quality better designed truck axial dident exicute there designs as good as some of the aftermarket manufactuers you could through tones of money at the 10.2 and stull not match the gen8 as for the gen8 you could through tons of money at it and not match the quality of the axial

so whats that mean in the real world nothing buy what you like run it and enjoy the fun factor is the same with both trucks

well. I had plans to more than likely go the green GEN8 V2 scout, but i went to a local crawler shop and then to another local hobby store, and ended up walking out with a 10.2 kit and a set of wheels and tires. So looks like I am going to do a build instead. As much as I wanted to do the scout, instant gratification of being able to build later today won me.

Trail Honcho all day long.
Redcat is good but their plastic is not. Broke to many plastic parts. So it got traded.

Honcho over the Scout for certain. Although between the broken axial ryft and the broken redcat 64 impala that CI has purchased this March... both companies and products are NOT worth the price point they are being sold at. Both are inferior plastic and poor design quality. Both broke within 6 battery packs with very light use. If you can find a well equipped but used honcho, that'd be golden.

I was in a similar situation and ended up going with a Honcho.

Yea the RTR's need upgrades but it's allowed me to replace parts as needed or budget allows. In between upgrades it's been a ton of fun to drive and mess with setup changes.

Like a bunch of others have said, go with the honco. I really like mine even though its stock. Tons of aftermarket support for it. Plus I like the approach and departure angles on it.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to post before. I like the Gen8 V2. I went with it for part because so many parts from SCX10 ii bolt on, and there are a ton available.

Back