• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Redcat Rockslide RS10 upgrade gone bad - please help!

pb1592

So I tried putting a 50c 2s 5200 mah lipo in my old 1/10 Redcat RS10 (dual steer MOA) and within a few minutes it smoked the stock ESC. To be safe I replaced the well-worn motors with identical replacements and new high torque metal gear servos. I replaced the ESC with a Hobbywing 880 (designed for dual motor). I hooked it all up on the bench and it seemed ok at first. The BEC output voltage read an even 6V which is a bit high, but the battery was fully charged and pushing 8V. After about 2 minutes I smelled that signature burnt circuit board scent. This time it was coming from the receiver and the receiver lost all function. The stock receiver was hot enough to roast a marshmallow on. I swapped in an identical replacement receiver and the same thing happened. I ruined two 3ch receivers. These were both the stock receivers that came with the RS10 (Redcat Rockslide with the Lansu 3TD transmitter). The only ID on the motors are Redcat "E600R" and "E600T". I can't imagine the motor turn with this ESC could result in blowing the old receiver. My guess is that this receiver was designed for NIMH/NICD batteries and the increased current/voltage from the ESC blew it? I have the same setup in my Redcat Everest 10 with the only difference being the stock ESC is newer and designed for LIPO. In the Everest 10 I installed the identical receiver I have in the RS10 since I upgraded to dual steering and it works fine. Only difference is it is Everest 10 stock ESC with single 550 motor.

My questions here are:

1) is this Hobbywing 880 ESC compatible with these "E600T/R" motors?

2) is the battery current along with a contemporary ESC too much for a semi-vintage Lansu (crap) reciever at 6v to handle?

3) with a normal good receiver can I splice and connect both the ESC cooling fan AND LED head/tail lights safely to one input on the receiver? Note: I have NOT done this yet. Just a question for the future.

4) recommendations for 3 channel (for dual steering) rx/tx that can handle this setup. Keep in mind this is not for comp crawling, just messing around so I don't want to spend a small fortune on Cadillac-level equipment. My buddy had a cheap-o Danchee Ridgerock that does just fine for what I need haha.

Thanks in advance!

On a side note, can I put a 50c 2s lipo in my stock Redcat Lightning EPX drift without blowing it up? The stock ESC does not have a jumper for NIMH/LIPO setting or lipo voltage cutoff. I have a lipo beeper in the car but will the increased current blow the ESC or should it be ok?

Back