• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Ramination's FJ40 Buggy Build

Thanks guys!

I think it should come in around 2-2.5 pounds. I think I was at 1.40lbs before I'd started the front.

Tossed around some ideas for the front hoop. I think I am going to try to tie the tube front fenders in to the hoop. I think it will look cool, and support the hoop.

FrontClipsnip_zps7bcf2b22.jpg

Chassis/tube in red, body/styrene in white. I omitted the fenders from the head on view because it was confusing to look at.

I jumped into the bib and grill last night. Man, this tiny styrene work is tedious but surprisingly rewarding (when it finally works of course).

IMG_4561_zpsaaf89e46.jpg

IMG_4562_zpsd96c51b9.jpg

Usually I wouldn't be satisfied with these tolerances, but after a couple of hours you just have to call it good enough and move on. So I did.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a front bumper, but after checking some clearances and fitment I went ahead and did a simple bumper for now, then added the hoop.

IMG_4578_zps844fa938.jpg

IMG_4582_zps88440399.jpg

IMG_4591_zps881fd2ff.jpg

IMG_4593_zps9cb9fe16.jpg

IMG_4595_zpsa61daf5c.jpg

I am really torn on the damn hoop. It looks better on paper and in my head. I think it looks awkward from head on, but at any other angle I think it looks OK. I am thinking maybe it is too tall? Comments welcome (even if they suck).

Oh, and the chassis weighs in at 2.32lbs with the front bumper.

More this weekend!

Anyone else tired of plastic bumpers? Here is how I make a bumper on the quick and cheap.

Take 1/2" square stock and color triangles onto it

IMG_4571_zps72dd23fc.jpg

Cut out triangles

IMG_4572_zps3b080239.jpg

Use a rock to smash it together (like in top pic), then weld edges and grind flat! Done!
(drill vent hole before sealing up the ends or the air will heat up inside the tube and blow away the shielding gas or possibly blow out the weld)

IMG_4574_zps65448914.jpg

IMG_4575_zps223e0258.jpg

I built seen bumper in 10 minutes from the time I grabbed stock to welded it onto the chassis. I do not understand why there are so many daggum plastic bumpers on rigs!!!

Boom! :mrgreen:

Why not put a small bend at the top to give it a more aggressive look? I like the idea of fender tube tying into it

Today I had to tackle getting a hood mount in place so I could do the fenders. I thought long and hard on this...like longer and harder than a woman in line at Panera and finally it hit me. I'll make it adjustable! Easy peasy!

IMG_4598_zpse137b1b1.jpg

All four corners are individually adjustable. The top plates (where the hood will rest) will be equipped with Velcro, eventually.

IMG_4597_zps00522c7f.jpg

IMG_4599_zps97a02539.jpg

I think this will be a good setup. I suppose it really doesn't NEED to be adjustable, but this make it easy to build and install, no leveling it and all that junk plus should I ever build a new hood (likely), I can easily accommodate it.

With the hood dialed in I made some metal tube fenders

IMG_4605_zps3ea1dcea.jpg

And so now it looks like this

IMG_4613_zps36d534bb.jpg

And that makes me feel happy.:mrgreen:

Nice work Bo. I like tge adjustable mounts. If you ever scale it out with a big block, ya got a way to adjust for the blower.....just saying.

Popcorn for President!!!

I love my King shocks. They seem really well made.
Your rig is looking bad ass man.

Popcorn for President!!!

Nice flex too. Might get ya to do some CAD design work for me one day if ya got time.

Popcorn for President!!!

Here are some pics from this past weekend of building.

The good stuff that came in just in time on Saturday. Ordered Thursday night, received Saturday afternoon...RPP is King. "thumbsup"

IMG_4620_zps8a6d64f3.jpg

I pulled my hair out with the interior for many hours. All I have done so far is the floor pretty much. This chassis has enough room behind the driver I could do a rear seat, however I decided against it and am going to put the NO2 bottle there and maybe a cooler or something.

IMG_4624_zpsd7f4ac01.jpg

Almost like I built it for these shocks :flipoff:

IMG_4634_zpsbe0ad9ff.jpg

Sitting sweet

IMG_4645_zps82023dc9.jpg

Chassis final weight: 2.77lbs

IMG_4642_zps91237d1e.jpg

I weighed it with axles, tires, battery, motor, etc pretty much ready to run and it was 8.5lbs.

Everything fits under the hood, but only barely. No room for a servo winch, going to have to get a Warn one or something for the front bumper. I did order new (shorter) batteries though, so I will have to see what it looks like when those get in.

This week I hope to be able to make and paint the side panels, paint the hood, finish the interior (seats, shifters, etc), then finish weld and lay paint on the chassis. I am stuck waiting for a new 3mm tap right now before I can really move forward with any of the big things. I hope to finish up this weekend, but its the details that are taking the longest of course.

Last edited:
wow that looks great! subscribed!

i'd definitely tie those fenders into the shock hoops though before you paint it. I have tube fenders on my honcho that were originally just welded on the ends like yours are currently...and the first trip out it got jacked up. If you look at a 1:1s tube fenders you'll see they always brace back to the frame or shock tower so they don't snap upon impact.

nice and simple bumper idea too! more people don't do it likely because they don't have the essential item...a welder "thumbsup"

That is a great point, thanks for the advice. I will tie them in to the shock hoop when I make the headlight mounts!

Now that it is mostly put together it is getting so hard to weld on...so many tight spots!

I love my King shocks. They seem really well made.
Your rig is looking bad ass man.

Popcorn for President!!!

Thanks Nate! What shock oil did you use in yours, and did you do anything with the valving? These things are very springy! I am going to have to mess around with tuning them once I get this thing running, I assume, so I bought the spring pack to mess around with. Should be fun! :mrgreen:

I really like the KINGs so far, but I do have two issues with them. First, I hate how they are identical in the fact that the word KING appears on only one side of the reservoirs and you can't make it so it points out on both sides. The other thing is that one of mine is kind of "sticky" and doesn't have as smooth of travel as the other side. I probably can fix that, though.

Things are wrapping up, though I will not be done by tomorrow like I'd hoped.

Body panels and interior are primer'd now, and the chassis is in the "paint booth" :ror:

Paint_zpsca433403.jpeg

Still need to find some decals for the dash and build the seats. Hope to get the dash figured out today, and get the seats and paint finished up while watching Supercross tomorrow night. "thumbsup"

She'll make her debut next weekend!!!

Last edited:
Back