• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

R1 Steering Revisited

supermoturd

Quarry Creeper
After reading other threads on steering mods for the R1, I notched my knuckle arms but was disappointed to find that it did not improve my steering throw. Upon closer investigation, I discovered that the problem was with the 7* C-Hubs that I had installed. While the 7* C-Hubs are effective in providing positive caster and more favorable pinion alignment, they actually reduce steering throw by causing the rod end on the drag link to interfere with the upper bolt lobe on the portal housing. My solution was to move the tie rod down and attach it to the bottoms of the knuckle arms. This dropped the drag link rod end down enough to clear the bolt lobe, but the head of the cap screw that secures the drag link rod end to the knuckle arm still made contact with the bolt lobe. To eliminate this contact, I fab'ed an extension for the knuckle arm that moved the drag link rod end out away from the bolt lobe. Now the notched knuckle arms were making contact with the C-Hubs and became the limiting factor in steering throw. I notched the C-Hubs to provide additional clearance. I then found that the stock CV joints could not accommodate any additional steering angle. I replaced them with the aftermarket CVA upgrade. The bore on the knuckles interfered with the shaft on the CVAs and limited steering throw. I notched the bores on the knuckles and increased the steering throw further. At this point, the rod ends on the tie rod began interfering with the lower bolt lobes on the portal housing and became the limiting factor in steering throw. I mounted the steering servo on the backs of the mounting posts to provide additional clearance for the left wheel. The steering throw is now to the point where the wheels nearly scrub the shocks at lock.

13978199905_d57cc7ae4d_h.jpg

13974999382_161be05b24_h.jpg

13975011131_3eddbc60eb_h.jpg

13987503651_a284ff2a6c_h.jpg

13955096026_525fa84216_h.jpg

13998188663_8340b83501_h.jpg

13975012391_dab9dccf34_h.jpg

13998189813_80331d2ce0_h.jpg

13990681715_649bedebf8_h.jpg

I moved my shocks to the inboard side of the mounts tonight and the tires no longer scrub, even when locked and stuffed.

14001944135_9950c15126_c.jpg

13998771951_b934657a1f_c.jpg

Dude what would you charge to build the steering throw mod u just did. As in getting all the parts and making them for other ppl to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude what would you charge to build the steering throw mod u just did. As in getting all the parts and making them for other ppl to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you bought the parts (knuckles, C-hubs, CVAs, Tie Rod, and Drag Link) and sent them to me, I would file and notch them and make and install the knuckle arm extension for $50. It is totally worth it. The improvement in steering is crazy.

I think it is hilarious how JunFac advertises a 42* steering angle for their CVAs; stating that it is 10* more than the steering angle (32*) achieved with the stock CV axles. What is hilarious is that the stock steering configuration (knuckles and C-Hubs) can't even accommodate the 32* offered by the stock CV axles. I've gotta quit hating on the R1. Once the steering is sorted out, the portal axles are insanely good. The extra clearance under the pumpkin has saved me so many times. And let's not forget that all of the screws that attach brackets and links are backed with nuts, unlike with axial axles, which use self-tapping screws in nylon! I've often thought about "upgrading" to AR60 wraith axles, but I just can't stand the idea of relying on plastic screw-cut threads.

Back