• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Puzzling tire performance

IronArcher

Rock Stacker
So, on my Gatekeeper, I have the Baja Pro X in 4.75”
We had a rock we couldn’t beat, until I put on some new 3-D printed foams. It was a struggle, but I finally got it!
I picked up some Hyrax Prolines, 4.19” at a swap meet, and ordered 3-D foams for it.
Testing on that rock…it walked up like nothing!
So I go to the local skatepark, and set up at the 1/2 pipe.
After the performance on the rock, and knowing there will be no obstacles to crawl over, just smooth concrete, I figure the Hyrax, with the low center of gravity and all is gonna steal the show.
It gets to 52 degrees before they just start spinning. Placing it sideways, to check roll over angles. It made it to 48 degrees before the rear top tire lifted enough to roll.
Goring to the Baja X 4.75” tires, I didn’t expect much (even though tests online showed they were very good), I was stunned that they made it regularly to 58 degrees, and even hit 60! 1 front wheel was lifting (even with a sway bar) but it hit 60!
Trying the side hill, they made it to 49, again the rear lifting first (my front track is a little wider)
So I’m a little puzzled. Those little 4.19 just drove over the rock, but couldn’t climb the 1/2 pipe as well as the 4.75” tires.
Not looking for a lot of explanation, just an odd scenario.
That said, I’m glad I spent $20 for the tires and some scale bits ;)

Back