• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Newbie question

woody45801

Hello all I just started trailing with my rig and doing some friendly comp. I purchased a trx4 sport has 2300kv axe system protek Servo proline dual stage stainless and brass lcg battery tray etc love the truck for only doing it for a month. We play in creeks snow teeter totters rocks rope crossings just about everything. I just received a ultra vanquish vs4-10. I really like pro tek 370tbl on 7.4 v I want to get one the vanquish. My main questions are motor and esc suggestions. I love the axe but is there anything smoother etc out there for 3s. I spoke with everyone besides hobbywing they do not ever answer there phone I forgot there made in China must be the corona. Best customer service between castle hobbywing and tekin was tekin. I am interested in the roc412 and rsx4.tech support was very knowledgeable and helpful. Castle was just ok for help they more just wanted to sell something now instead of fully explaining there products. I shop like selecting camshafts for a car call multiple cam companies before making a decision not settling on first. All guys in our group run axe and one castle. I try to look up tekin only few videos on you tube. Can I get your guys first hand experience and opinions good or bad. I do not rock race all slow and technical. Also dual stage foam companies opinions crawler innovations that are back ordered vs pro line thank you

I love the Holmes Hobbies 1800kv Revolver paired with a Castle Mamba-X. I run it on both 3s and 4s. Gobs of torque and wheelspeed on 3S, and ultra smooth start up and low speed creep. 4s just wakes it up a bit more, but still very smooth and tractable. It’s probably my all around favorite set up over all the different systems I run. (Including a HW AXE system in my Capra). The only drawback would be the high pitched noise that the Revolver emits. It drove me nuts at first, but I don’t even really notice it any more.

Go with a Castle Mamba X.

IMO, it's the only ESC anyone needs these days. The smoothness of control with brushless (outrunner or sensored inrunner) or brushed is arguably at least as good as or more likely even better than anything else on the market and the 8Amp BEC is unmatched by anything.

The HW1080 is good but you'll need to run an external BEC to power a strong servo.

IMO, the Axe is the most over-rated system out there. I'm not convinced that their FOC is any good and their motors are the same price as Holmes or Tekin but not nearly as nice as them. But I do like their sensor wire.

Tekin is always great.

Castle support is usually great for me, but I only deal with them here on this forum and via email.

Brushed is still smoother than brushless. The HobbyWing WP1080 and CrawlMaster is a great, budget option. You are obviously willing to spend more though so you may want to look at Holmes if you decide on brushed. Holmes makes even better motors although I'm not sure you'd tell the difference. He also has great customer service if you want to contact him and ask for his opinion.

The Castle Mamba X is also a great ESC and it can do both brushed and brushless well and the Auxiliary Wire is such an awesome innovation.

Tekin makes great stuff, but I've never used their RX4. The ROC412 is great. The Holmes Puller Pro is a great competitor to the ROC412.

bc5178c9a623d150eb9e0f62037a06c7.jpg

I will be seeing what I think of these they are in a trade I made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How strong are we talking? Recent tests show that the actual 1080 output matches the claimed amps, which is pretty good, I thought.

Outputting at the claimed amps is great but the issue isn't the claim, it's the rating.

I believe the HW1080 is rated at up to 3A (that's pretty much a standard value taht most ESC's are rated for. Most hi-torque servos will pull more than 3Amps. Savox servos have been noted to pull 6A or more, 5A is quite common for a servo over 200ozin.

You can still run those servos without an external BEC but there's a high likelihood you'll also get brown-outs.

I’ve been running a 300oz servo off the 1080 with no external BEC for around a year with zero issues. No brown out, no glitching at all. I had been running a BEC on that rig prior, but when I threw the 1080 in it I figured I’d see how it performed without one.

Back