• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New to Building RC: Capra 1.9

Lowly, if you do end up with a Puller Pro Stubby you’ll definitely be happy. Mine is a beast, stays cool, and I absolutely feel NO need for more motor. Make sure you run that Reefs triple4 at high voltage to get the most power out of it. It’s down on power compared to the others that were discussed but you should get the job done. Having said that, make sure the dig servo is also capable of high voltage. If you go with a Reefs 99 you’ll be fine. The whole 3mm/3.175mm bore thing, I’m not really sure if there’s a difference or just different equipment that measures it. If in doubt just get an Axial pinion.

Lowly, the Reefs Triple4 is a great servo and should serve you well. I regret forgetting to suggest this particular Powerhobby servo because I was hell bent on recommending a direct power servo. Keep this one on your radar for future projects. I have this one in one of my TRX4s getting high voltage from a Castle Copperhead esc and it’s AMAZING! Super fast, very quiet, and gobs of power. Hard to beat for the price!

https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-729mbl.html

Lowly, if you do end up with a Puller Pro Stubby you’ll definitely be happy. Mine is a beast, stays cool, and I absolutely feel NO need for more motor. Make sure you run that Reefs triple4 at high voltage to get the most power out of it. It’s down on power compared to the others that were discussed but you should get the job done. Having said that, make sure the dig servo is also capable of high voltage. If you go with a Reefs 99 you’ll be fine. The whole 3mm/3.175mm bore thing, I’m not really sure if there’s a difference or just different equipment that measures it. If in doubt just get an Axial pinion.

I got a parts order in today. The motor in the box was incorrect. It was a 540s 2700kv instead of the 2200kv. Getting the swap done today.

This is the DIG servo I went with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDXPBDX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Is this capable? Looks like it can go up to 7.4v.

A buddy of mine is going to 3D print a bracket so it will fit on the Capra.

Once I get the motor back, I will see if the pinion slips on.

No pig tail needed, it will plug directly to the receiver. If your other electronics (receiver, dig servo, and lights) are rated for it, set the bec voltage to 7.4 on the mamba x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm.. I didn't consider the receiver, light bar that comes with the Capra, or the led lights I order on amazon.

Receiver: I opted for the below link as it was suggested to me to be able to plug more stuff in. My radio (Futaba 4PM) is 4 channel and comes with it's own receiver as well. Link: https://www.amainhobbies.com/futaba...6channel-micro-receiver-fut01102201-3/p210444

I'm guessing even though the transmitter is 4 channel that it can still "control" the other 2 channels on the receiver through programming?

Dig Servo: Looks like it can handle up to 7.4v Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDXPBDX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

LED Lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758DG2WN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lowly, as long as you can make it fit either the existing mounts or have one printed there’s really no reason the dig servo won’t do the job. As others have stated, being very careful to adjust your endpoints correctly is crucial. I usually recommend starting with the endpoint adjustments on your radio set all the way down around 5 before attaching the servo horn and connecting it to the dig. Take your time and adjust it until it engages solidly. It only takes the slightest adjustment too far to burn a servo up.

Hey all,

I am very new to building RC cars and I am a bit lost on all the options for electronics. I did some research and followed some videos online and think I have found some options that should work with my build. I'd like to get some opinions on these options before buying.

Building an Axial Capra 1.9

Motor - Holms Hobbies Puller Pro V2 540 Waterproof Sensored Crawler Motor 2700kv

ESC - Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba X Sensored 25.2v WP ESC 8A BEC

Radio - Futaba 4PM 4 Channel 2.4 GHz T-FHSS Radio System w/R304SB Receiver

6-channel Receiver - Futaba R2106GF 2.4 GHz FHSS 6-Channel Micro Receiver
(Only reason I can see using this is to have extra channels down the road but not sure if it will work with the radio being it's only a 4 channel radio)

Steering Servo - Futaba S9177SV S.Bus Programmable Airplane Servo (High Voltage)
(Is this a good option being it's an airplane servo?)

BEC - Castle Creations CCBEC 10A Peak 25V Max Input SBEC

BEC Bypass Adapter - Holmes Hobbies Receiver Bypass Adapter w/Auxiliary Output

Battery - Gens Ace 3s LiHV LiPo Battery 60C w/XT-60 Connector (11.4v/3600mAh)

XT60 Fittings - Maclan XT60 Connectors

Capra 1.9 DIG parts for micro servo - Axial Mounts & Servo Saver Set: Capra 1.9 UTB Dig Transmission

Micro Servo - Power HD TR-4 Micro Waterproof Metal Gear Servo for traxxas TRX-4

Question 1: Do I need a BEC with my selected ESC? Looks like it goes up to 8.0v.

Question 2: The micro server seems to be a hot topic for this build as it calls for the SX107 to enable the Dig option. Two things: 1) It's backordered for who knows how long and 2) People have problems with it but I assume it's because they are not using BECs and burning the servos up or they are using BECs and the servo is just junk. I found a forum that had a reply where a gentleman suggested using the TR-4 Micro servo. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Question 3: What's the programming like for all the electronics? I built several RC helos years ago and it was almost plug and play except for tuning the radio itself.

Anyway, thanks for the help! Looking forward the building the Capra 1.9 and chasing my kids with it!

-Slows

I would only go with a direct power steering servo even though the MambaX has a decent internal BEC. External BECs work fine but with that and if you need a bypass they are just more crap to deal with. If you are going with the MambaX go 4s. If you don't want to go 4s get a lighter ESC. Programming the MambaX is easy with the computer link, it can be a PIA with the Bluetooth module.

I have been running cheap TRX mini servos for years, you can run them straight off the receiver. No need for direct power for a shift servo, they are only sliding a little collar or piece of plastic back and forth. Setting them up is the issue, not how much power they have. The way to get a mini servo working right, or any servo, is being able to set the end points. I think the failing of many mini servos is not having the end points right. It is easy with the right remote. The process is the same as a steering servo but people just don't do it. If you can't set the endpoints off your Aux servos with that controller choose another controller.

Last edited:
Back