• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New Castle XL-2 and Tekin 1550kv Finally 100+ minutes of fun and no busted diffs!!

Fordfreak95

Rock Crawler
A bit back I noticed the stock ESC fan ran a lot. I think I even had an over heat because I had to recalibrate the ESC to the Spectrum again. Ive added big RC4WD mud slingers and a good bit of aluminum so she is porky! :( So I ripped all the electrics out and put in a Castle XL-2 ESC with a Tekkin 4038 1550kv motor. I started off Sat AM with 64/20 gearing..way too damn fast but it still lasted a 31 minutes according to the timer on the Spek. I saw the temps rise to 168* a few times and had to rest it. I don't know what is too hot really. I have played with Nitros for a while so....Sat afternoon I messed with the XL-2 settings with the castle link and swapped in a 18 tooth pinion. Still very fast..anything over 50mph is just silly in something this clumsy. Only busted item was a rod end. Diffs held up great!! 35 minutes logged.
Today I went out with a 17 tooth pinion...few more castle link tweeks and romped it. I flipped it, jumped it crashed it. 37 minutes later and all I broke was the rear cage in a few spots (parts ordered) but the diffs are good!! Temps never went over 160* at all. I clocked 44.7mph on my mini garmin but it went flying and didnt want to turn on again. RIP.. :(
45 MPH is plenty fast enough. I am on Venom 50c 5000mah 6s batteries.
Pulled the back cover and the front diff cover. All is perfect!! THANK GOD!!
I am running Fast eddy bearings and Dhawk spacers on the pinion and Boca chromoly bearings on the diff housings. Two pinion shims on the rear pinion one on the front. One diff shim on the front.
LST 2 XXL shocks...Awsome absolutely friggin perfect!!
This thing is a large heavy 1/8 scale RC. It needs a big ESC and big shocks. And patience. And most of all a positive attitude. The front diff thing did get the best of me I admit.
Now...Its just fun. Next week I am using my Nitros though. This thing is too damn quiet!! LOL!! :)
C653F8E4-F215-47F3-971D-0855931E4CC8_zpswry0hgi1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3D316545-755E-4A8A-AF30-72FE24944792_zpsjk6dzivg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
B92ED7DE-1EDE-413F-A270-2E97EA6781F4_zpsj1ydwspt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
470D7396-79AB-4B70-8BB3-FCB924DAF55A_zpswj2njswv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
9705E594-849C-45FB-8358-715F34E9C1B2_zps2wdug9z1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ah.. Sorry man. They are Traxxas Summit +6mm 17mm hexes that I bored out to fit the XL kit's axles. I had the emblems made by a buddy. I try to make as much as I can.

Ah.. Sorry man. They are Traxxas Summit +6mm 17mm hexes that I bored out to fit the XL kit's axles. I had the emblems made by a buddy. I try to make as much as I can.

Ah custom made, very nicely done. I also like what you did on those top shock inserts who made those or are those custom as well.

On the front? Those are just Losi xxl bushings with the flange cut off. Then used hard washers behind it with a steel sleeve inside. The back is Dhawk from eBay.

That rig looks like a show piece aside from some dust smudges, its too clean you sure your playing with it LOL. You ever think of putting medium to hard rubber/foam on the bumper bracket, kinda like the ones on a traxxas latrax rally?? That's the first mod I did on my RTR it just looks so vulnerable and naked and at the mercy of the next thing it bumps into without it.

Last edited:
Haha, talk about overkill on the esc. I run that in my brushless DBXL. Looks good

What weight oil are u running in those shocks? Also i see the front springs look like stockers but the rear are white? Is there spring sets for the lst shocks?

LoL...it was dirty. I clean my RCs after every use. I broke the rear cage pretty good so it's not in the pics.
The ESC is great. I like the XL2 so why not right. :) It will never thermal on me that's for sure.
The LST shocks have 40 weight up front and I think 30 out back. The front springs are RC raven springs and the back are the Losi 4.0 whites. There are a few sets of LST springs sets yes.

Back