• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Need upgrade advice

Rekreant

Rock Crawler
I got my Trail Honcho today and installed some upgrades I had bought in anticipation. Beadlock axial wheels with hyrax tires, aluminum servo horn, HH 27t 550 motor(dremeled the battery tray) and waiting on a heyok bec to install my savox 1211 waterproof hv servo.

I have a set of the 8 emaxx big bores coming, so I have shocks and replacement shocks coming. Got em for a steal at 70$ and I love the big bores in general. I have 30-40 more dollars to spend and I was trying to think what would give the best durability / performance.

I was thinking a set of steel links, but I dont know who has good ones. Any ideas? If you were in my position, what 40$ upgrade would you do knowing its the last part you can put on for 2 months?

Steel trans gears, knuckles, cvd's, or front shock hoops. Not sure if I'd go with Maxx size shocks though. May be a bit too tall.

Steel trans gears, knuckles, cvd's, or front shock hoops. Not sure if I'd go with Maxx size shocks though. May be a bit too tall.

I got the 92mm ones, which are the same size as the ones on the trail honcho. I just measured to be sure hehe

What brand are yall using for CVDs? MIP seems overkill for this, I wonder if my slash set of MIPs could fit??

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think you got the Maxx shocks then if they're 92mm so that's good. Also don't think mip makes cvd's for axial trucks. The incision or even the axial universals will be an upgrade for the rtr honchos front axle. Do what I do when on a $50ish budget... Toss a few items in an rpp hobby cart til you reach $50 and use the 10% off coupon. It's a good way to add a scale item or something extra in for "free". My problem is I'm in CA so have to pay tax.

Get metal steering links to go with your new servo. Doesn't matter how strong it is if you are pushing on a rubbery tie rod and drag link.

IMHO, the most important things to have will be the componenets that add durability. In my mind, that means:

(in the order of importance)
Metal trans gears (some Honcho's may have them already? I'm not sure.)
Metal knuckles
Metal c-hubs
Metal steering
Metal Suspension links

I don't understand why people are recommending CVD's at all. In my experience, the 10.2 universals are better than any CVD. But maybe the Honcho is spec'd with something different?

IMHO, the most important things to have will be the componenets that add durability. In my mind, that means:

(in the order of importance)
Metal trans gears (some Honcho's may have them already? I'm not sure.)
Metal knuckles
Metal c-hubs
Metal steering
Metal Suspension links

I don't understand why people are recommending CVD's at all. In my experience, the 10.2 universals are better than any CVD. But maybe the Honcho is spec'd with something different?

The Honcho comes with dogbones, so steering is not as good as the original rtr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honcho comes with dogbones, so steering is not as good as the original rtr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im confused, I dont see dogbones anywhere. They look like CVDs. They look almost like plastic version of my slash MIP CVDs...

Don't think you got the Maxx shocks then if they're 92mm so that's good. Also don't think mip makes cvd's for axial trucks. The incision or even the axial universals will be an upgrade for the rtr honchos front axle. Do what I do when on a $50ish budget... Toss a few items in an rpp hobby cart til you reach $50 and use the 10% off coupon. It's a good way to add a scale item or something extra in for "free". My problem is I'm in CA so have to pay tax.

You were right, they are the 103mm ones. I found some threads tho and they work fine on an scx10ii.

Checked my trans gears, I hit the sintered metal jackpot! No plastic in there.

Can someone link me to a good steering universal? Or perhaps the axial part number at least?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're thinking of your driveshafts, not universals. The honcho comes with dog bones in the front axle so your steering is limited.

Back