• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

My Trick RC DG-1 and Traxxas lights

fajitas21

I'm looking for some confirmation, as I'm new to building RCs and customizing with lights.

I bought the DG-1 controller and the TRX4 Sport light kit for my wife's TRX4 Sport w/ Expedition Rack. I also added the TRA #8111 Scene lights on the rack. Nothing is currently hooked up, but I'm trying to get a few questions answered and figured I'd try here.

Model Info: TRX4 Sport + HW 1080 ESC + HH Crawlmaster 550. Power Connectors XT60, 2s and 3s batteries with balance plugs available.

1. Can I hook those scene lights up to the DG-1?
2. High power or low power?
3. Is there damage if I hook a high power light to low power port? (I realize the other way around is a bad idea).

Also, anything else you'd like to share to educate, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

I use the DG-1 in most of my rigs, it's a great piece of equipment. Unfortunately I haven't used one with OEM Traxxas lights but I would guess to use the low power ports would be the safest. Sadly though wiring it up that way doesn't give you the most benefit of the DG-1 but it will make the lights work. I would source some of the connectors from Amazon (be careful with polarity of the controller to light) and some time with a soldering iron should have you good to go.

Though not directly specified on the MyTrickRC website, I would recommend getting a battery style of connector instead of the balance plug adapter. Holmes Hobbies recommends against using those connectors for repeated use due to their fragility.

Traxxas lights operate in 3V. You need to connect them to the Traxxas light module. It's job is to transform whatever voltage you have in your battery to 3V. Anything more than that will fry them. You can connect the scene lights to the distribution block or the lights module directly.

Back