• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

My ever-evolving SCX10

Soooo, uhmmm, hahaha, I've neglected posting what I've done.

My little brother-in-law had a New Bright jeep JK sitting in his room. Gave him $20 for it. He colored on if with sharpie tho. Nothing paint ca't fix. Stripped the body off and got to mounting it to my SCX10.

I had to make a custom mount for the rear, and drill holes further down in the front body posts.
Did a rough flat fender modExtended the wheel base a few inches for the right look.
I still have to make new holes on my shock mounts. They lay down too much due to extending the wheelbase.
Got a free honcho bumper from my friend :ror:

I'm running my old IROK 1.9s for the first time in about 6 months. Its quite a change from 2.2 ripsaws

Future plans are to paint it all white with black trim and fenders. And do paint black trim on the interior.

Still a work in progress but I welcome all suggestions!! :mrgreen:

IMAG0868_zpsa5e27fcf.jpg

IMAG0869_zpsccf1dcd2.jpg

IMAG0871_zpsb5f8636f.jpg

IMAG0872_zps5a627b13.jpg

IMAG0873_zpse40cee6f.jpg

IMAG0874_zps7979c17a.jpg

IMAG0875_zps4f0d751a.jpg

Being new her ea week or so ago,I missed this thread until you posted today,LOVING your build,looks great :) But much more importantly than even the RC,congradulations on wedded bliss,my friend! Been married to my high-school-sweetheart for over 20 years now. Some good advice on how to make it last that long,a marriage is like an RC truck,it requires work and maintenance ot keep it working smoothly,but when it's working smoothly,just like when trail running your truck,it's definately worth the extra wrenching "thumbsup"

wow much better now. the old 2.2 version just annoyed me lol.

"Capability over scale appearance"..... that's what comp crawlers are for.

looks great on 1.9's! "thumbsup"

I got some Traxxas Slash hex's for my wheels. They are about double the thickness of the stock axial aluminum hexes. The offset looks much on the jeep now.

I'm thinking of trimming a little bit on the front fenders. Keeping the top a little more in live with the angles of the hood, more willies style. Opinion?

I also took the Level 3 droop kit shock mounts from my wifes scx10 and put them on my jeep. The shock position is much better and i can now take full advantage of my shock's travel.

Re: My ever-evolving SCX10 | Now a Wroncho!

Wow, I haven't posted in forever!

I've completely reconfigured my chassis!
RadioShack project boxes for all my electronics
Vanquish CMS
Lowered the battery

Center of cravity is so stupid low now

This battery layout was only temporary until i got the CMS.
IMAG0270_zps973d98e7.jpg
[/URL]
IMAG0292_zps0b64923f.jpg
[/URL]
IMAG0268_zps25f31923.jpg
[/URL]
This is now the battery is permanently mounted!
IMAG0282_zpse4f98cb9.jpg
[/URL]

Got Wraith Axles
Front is 3 linked with a vanquish panhard
REar is 4 linked with a bent upper link.
Axial Universals
Axial HD bevel gears
Custom CNC solid steel no slop lockers
Vanquish C-Hubs
Vanquish Knuckles
Vanquish steering link

IMAG0327_zps9479aaca.jpg
[/URL]
IMAG0308_zps1bbccf34.jpg
[/URL]
IMAG0326_zps81178495.jpg
[/URL]

Here is a video of my first wroncho run =]
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UY9DUUWuhbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yep, it's not scale! But damn, it performs like a champ!

Last edited:
This looks like a sick build! Is the benefit of the Wraith axles for the width, torque, durability, or something else?

This looks like a sick build! Is the benefit of the Wraith axles for the width, torque, durability, or something else?

For me it was the width and OCP. The width gave stability. They are heavier, so with the width plus weight is significantly lowered the COG. The steering angle is also much greater than the stock axles.

Re: My ever-evolving SCX10 | Now a Wroncho!

Just posting some front end pictures.

Front Axle:
Vanquish C-Hubs
Vanquish Knuckles
Vanquish Panhard Kit
Vanquish Steering Link
Axial Universal Shafts

IMAG0422_zps23477478.jpg

Added some angel eye LEDs while I was bored last night

IMAG0463_zpsf1a07aa1.jpg
IMAG0464_zpsbe013c7f.jpg

Received my 2.2 Vanquish Pro Comp II Wheels. Waiting on my Pit Bull Roack Beast II scale tires and 2.2 Crawler Innovations Dual Stage Foams

IMAG0465_zpsfcdc5b39.jpg

I would wonder how a slash body would fit on a wroncho they are wider... and longer too I think... with some clever links and maybe a mod to the shock tower position might be able to throw a raptor body on it and have it scaled to the max with the wider longer wheelbase. not sure but might be worth a go. And hey anyone tells you its not very scale... tell um to take a look at this http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehi...-rock-crawler-truggy-98-s10-street-legal.html I would say your about spot on only Toyota instead of chevy... maybe a tad short on the Wheel base but who's going to break out a ruler on you

Last edited:
My 2.2 Pit Bill Rock Beast II Scale tire Combo from Crawler Innovations came in last night!! WOOO!! I for the 6.0 double deuce foams (med front, Firm rear).

IMAG0503_zps40f4556e.jpg

IMAG0506_zps97db8eda.jpg

IMAG0505_zps753bb6e8.jpg

IMAG0508_zps06627425.jpg

These things are HUGE compared to my rip saws... Almost too big. I might have to stretch it to get it looking better...

Stretched the rear this morning Might need a little more, but I've already got so many spacer stuffed between my links and rod ends. I'll have to make my own links for a bit more.
Repositioned the rear shock mount to compensate for the stretching.

IMAG0510_zpsf1f2037f.jpg

IMAG0509copy_zpsf1629582.jpg

Took it for a run.

IMAG0511_zps582ac4eb.jpg

Snapped a XR10 rod end. This is my first break in over a year haha.

IMAG0513_zps96f5e015.jpg

Took it to a friends house on some rocks. I see why they are called ROCK BEASTS! The kill the rocks!!

IMAG0514_zps2a285083.jpg

The only thing my 2.2 rip saws did better was grabbing loose, crusty, dirt and small rocks. The Rock beasts tend to slip a bit because the lugs aren't quite as open.

is it that big of a difference if you change the angle of the shocks more to the center of the vehicle? im some what new to the hobbie and from my understanding you relate most things to real life being a scale crawling hobbie. and a 1:1 crawler you want the shocks straight up and down. i could be wrong tho.

is it that big of a difference if you change the angle of the shocks more to the center of the vehicle? im some what new to the hobbie and from my understanding you relate most things to real life being a scale crawling hobbie. and a 1:1 crawler you want the shocks straight up and down. i could be wrong tho.

Yes it makes a difference. I do you his to all my scx10s. It let's the suspension flex more.

Big difference? No, it is more of a tweaking/tuning thing to do.

Yes it allows you to squeeze more out of your shock travel. With it leaned in it causes the shock to travel less in relation to the axles upward motion

It also allows you to cheat how soft/firm your springs act. Leaning in more make them "softer," if you will.

And It also help me fine tune my ride height.

i have a lift kit. maybe i will give that a shot. thanks for the help and sweet rig btw. wish i has someone to rc with like you!

Just wanted to post some pictures of my my chassis sits as of right now. For now I can't find anything to tweak. I have the COG as low as I see possible. I'm complately content with where it sits until I find an issue that needs fixing =]

IMAG0535_zpsfcaef15f.jpg

IMAG0536_zps5f1e2d36.jpg

IMAG0532_zpsd4796696.jpg

IMAG0533_zps912f5dca.jpg

IMAG0534_zps78bdb29e.jpg

I also got to thinking, I don't like the stock honcho cage. The "flat bed" piece of lexan was kid of ugly, and once that was removed the cage was just too open. So I hacked the lexan in half and added some stock scx10 plastic links to the cage for my own custom, free "cage work." Haha. It really stiffened up the cage, and deff looks better then I imagined.

IMAG0538_zpsba3c1361.jpg

IMAG0539_zpsd9c7f378.jpg

IMAG0540_zpsb2d12ebd.jpg

Back