• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Micro comp brushless (Newbie to crawling)

MikeWhy

I am new to crawling, and am completely enamored of this (scratch built?) Micro comp brushless vid on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma1gMVBeGXc

I have a ton of questions but will start with just the basics. I appreciate your help. My intended use initially is to amuse my Labrador and putz around in my garden.

I find only the Bully 2 available commercially. Is the RTR for $600 a good starting point rather than scratch building?

The crawler in the vid seemed quite a bit less complex mechanically than the Bully. Is there much science in how the struts are arranged?

What differences will brushless have, aside from cost? Is there a difference in driving technique? (Edit: He is using sensorless motors. Is this common for crawlers? I would have thought sensored is a requirement for high torque starts from dead stop.)

Last, will it be possible to climb interior carpeted stairs with a crawler?

Thanks.
Mike.

Last edited:
Not exactly scratch built. That's using Rocksta basher axles which come with brushed motors. Look for the one that comes with metal gears in the axles rather than plastic. The frame may be custom, but there are similar 3D printed versions available on Shapeways. For the needs you've described you won't need brushless at all. You can build something capable relatively cheaply

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Not exactly scratch built. That's using Rocksta basher axles...

Thanks! The RockSta seems to be unobtainium at the moment. Is it worth the wait, over something like the DasHex Z2 at AliExpress for example? The biggest relevant difference being 4WS on the RockSta. Is this something that's important? Or is it just a gimmick?

Back