• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Messing around with modding my TRX4 kit

Shadyd

My 6 year old son and I have spent a good amount of time recently bashing around my Stampede and his Slash on our local hiking trails. I finally decided last fall to step up to an actual crawler, and picked up a TRX4 kit. I grabbed a Hilux body for it and started building.

I had a great time running it up and down the rocky trails nearby, but of course I couldn't keep from tinkering with it. Started simple with the Yeah Racing axles, and then threw on a Savox steering servo and BEC.

I recently got a Long arm lift kit to try out, and modified it a bit as I put in on, based on some other posts I had read:
- cut off the travel limiters
- replaces the springs with the traxxas "white" .29 rate springs to soften the ride and get more sag

Messed around with in the backyard, and relatively happy with the results. It still sits pretty high, a bit more sag would be preferable, but I'm not sure if there are any softer springs that would fit. I'm hoping moving to metal portals will help lower the COG some more. I'll take it to a rocky trail later and see what happens with some actual crawling.

My 6 year old son and I have spent a good amount of time recently bashing around my Stampede and his Slash on our local hiking trails. I finally decided last fall to step up to an actual crawler, and picked up a TRX4 kit. I grabbed a Hilux body for it and started building.

I had a great time running it up and down the rocky trails nearby, but of course I couldn't keep from tinkering with it. Started simple with the Yeah Racing axles, and then threw on a Savox steering servo and BEC.

I recently got a Long arm lift kit to try out, and modified it a bit as I put in on, based on some other posts I had read:

- cut off the travel limiters

- replaces the springs with the traxxas "white" .29 rate springs to soften the ride and get more sag

Messed around with in the backyard, and relatively happy with the results. It still sits pretty high, a bit more sag would be preferable, but I'm not sure if there are any softer springs that would fit. I'm hoping moving to metal portals will help lower the COG some more. I'll take it to a rocky trail later and see what happens with some actual crawling.

Truck looks great! I'm a Toyota fan! I went with an rc4wd Tacoma body. I had the issue. I replaced the front shock mounts with some Chinese knock off metal mounts (I also bought the rear mounts but they made my socks bind), then moved the rear mounts to the front as low it would go. The rear mounts were also too tall to fit under the body, I got some team raffee rear mounts, and some traxxas post mounts for a battery tray, I can't find the tag, but I have the other tag. The last picture is the brake line I used to move the sliders up. It's just brake line tubing
46db27d93789badc6dcbbd9277bc4178.jpg
0f1f586dfc680d3bb7fc4d850cec7f24.jpg
598e5765fc700e61dba2e27687f15689.jpg
f42d054a050f42ea2c397aae767960bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I had no idea autocorrect was that far off. I can clarify if you have questions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Capra springs are 13x70 (10mm shorter than the TRX-4 Long Arm springs) and come in two rates softer than the softest Traxxas offerings: red at 1.28lbs/in, and purple at 0.72lbs/in. I've used both on the Long Arm shocks.

Good advice, I'll check out those springs if I need something softer. I did manage to get it out on the trail, and it did pretty well. Definitely easier getting up some very rocky grades that I've done before pre-long-arm-kit. The biggest thing I found was that I need more weight over the front wheels. My wheels spun trying to get up some sheer rock faces, but when I applied a bit of pressure to the front of the truck, the tires bit right away. I'm going to look at getting the brass portals from Yeah Racing for the front wheels.

Back