• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

M561 GamaGoat in 1:10

Triffnix.at

All started with a built contest at Portal - RCCrawler.at - Austrians RC Crawler & Scaler Community in 2010. I wanted to have also an multi-axle scaler, but there are so much of Oshkosh, Tatra, Ural oder MAN around. So I did some research for another rigs. At Europe-Truck-Trial there was one participant with a very different truck. 3 axles with same wheelbase, steering the first and the last axle, and the "trailer" is articulated.
Gama Goat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

img1720xj.jpg

Well, I decided to start building this this thing! Is it a good idea? We will see...

So i started to search the WWW for plans, pictures and more informations. I found a site, wich provided a scan of an original manual, and it contains a blueprint with some measurements. I calculate a little bit, and so i came to scale 1:10

The first try started with 3 Tamiya TLT-axles and 108mm tyres. The width was good with 210mm.

dsc00811f.jpg

Width 210mm, length over all 560mm!

My first plan was to mount both axles with leaf springs, but i decided to mount the middle axle direct to the chassis plate and the front axle with 4-link.

05112010282.jpg

05112010283.jpg

But that wasn´t a good idea, the drivetrain didn't fit and so i changed the plan (again)... Next plan, i take 2 idential touring cars, modified the middle axle and made a new chassis plate.

2_2_1307894727.jpg

2_5_1307894727.jpg

2_3_1307894727.jpg

2_4_1307894727.jpg

The articulating joint is made out of delrin, and also the driveshaft to the front axle is made by me.

The aluminium chassis plate is only for testing, it will be replaced with a delrin plate. Also the springs must be changed, they are too stiff.

1ykz.jpg

mwuk.jpg

The articulating joint:

km1b.jpg

For testing i simply cut the touring car in half and mount it to the chassis. For the first test drive i mount the first electronic parts i found, just to test how it works :mrgreen:

h5gf.jpg

8anw.jpg

hnja.jpg

The test drive showed that there is not enough power. I need an additional gearbox. The rear steering servo needs a better mount, and the articulating joint need a limiter.

Next step, i modified the steering and changed the tyres to RC4WD Flashpoint 1.9 on Tamiya Hummer-rims, looking much better now.

be3b.jpg

xrv8.jpg

tuch.jpg

I ordered an Electrifly-gearbox, in combination with an Robitronic 21,5t Brushless-combo. I now have enough power and wheelspeed.

wdn0.jpg

Next step, I took an unused Axial battery tray from my dingo, and mounted it on the chassis. It has 2 roles. It holds the battery and at the same time it´s the upperdeck for the chassis. And the rear servo mount belongs to an Axial axle...

I control it with a Futaba FC16, the rear steering is mixed so i steer with the right stick both axles, and with the left stick only the rear axle.

lbs6.jpg

7vk2.jpg

Without battery:

ci8h.jpg

For a lttle additional help i ordered the Scale 1:35 modell from Tamiya, i hope it will help me for building the body...

mz6k.jpg

xbem.jpg

The big and the small :flipoff:

ae8m.jpg

Sorry for my poor English, my language is German :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with your English mate, I'm Australian and can understand fine, great looking build I love to see something different being tried.

This is cool, as an American the whole powered trailer is a new concept me. keep up the good work.

I'll be watching this build. I remember driving them when I was in the Army. They were loud, slow and squirrelly as hell to drive. Are you going to make it amphibious as well?

Back