• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Looking for a suggestion modded TRX4 Traxx or Gen8 Axe

BA0701

Hello all, new member and new to this hobby. I am getting into this hobby for 2 reasons 1) I got my grandson his first RC this past Christmas, and since he is loving it so much decided this would be a golden opportunity for us to get even closer through doing something that we love together, and 2) I have been interested in RC since I got my first one in the early 1970s (it was one that drove in a straight line and to turn it you hit a button on the controller, which caused the car to travel backwards in a circle and you clicked the button again once the front of the car was facing the direction you wanted it to go), I have a Mavic 2 Pro drone that I love flying, and being a former engineer I just love to tinker.

So, enough about me, I came in here to ask the following question. I purchased for myself a Traxxas TRX4 Traxx, and also purchased a Traxxas 2255 servo (read in several places steering on the Traxx model left something to be desired) along with a high voltage BEC and metal servo horn. As I mentioned, I love to tinker, and am always looking to make the most beastly machine as I am able, and that has always been my goal here, hoping to add things like a brushless system, diff locks, and a 2 speed tranny, along with anything else I might come across, in hopes of making it the fastest, mud boggingest, rock climbingest machine I can. However, while researching these things, I came across the Gen8 Axe. So, my question is, since I already have the TRX4, should I continue to upgrade it, at likely a much higher cost than the Gen8 Axe, or should I leave it where it is at for a while, and just get the Gen8 Axe, save some money in the short term, and have two machines that will, hopefully, accomplish the things I had hoped to do in the beginning, and at the same time giving me two separate machines that I can take in opposite directions if I choose, such as making one a crawler, and making the other a mudding machine? What would be the benefits of your solution? Any pointers you all can provide will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Last edited:
You already have a trx4, why not try something different. The gen8 axe is a great truck. It doesn't need much, it already has all the good parts & is every bit as capable as the trx4. I would replace the foams & go. The biggest hindrance of the gen8 is the body. It's on the larger side, but not too bad. With the gen8 bodies, moving the bumpers in helps immensely. I don't have the axe, but my gen8 has the same upgraded parts minus brushless. It's been a great truck & after a year, the only breakage has been a ripped out link mount. If you want to swap bodies, just about any popular body will fit the gen8 chassis.

Back