• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

In 2017,Which is your favorite battery manufacturer?

I switched over to floureon lipos 2 yrs ago, awesome run time from there 3300 2s an there 4200 3s perfect in our trail trucks

Racers used to charge at obscene amps, a good bit over 40A. I saw a post from ~5 yrs back about some Thunderpowers having a 12C charge rating, and I can only imagine [higher end] batteries getting better since then. I got a pair of 200W chargers, so I'll be doing 10A on everything.

I started running spc packs. They went out of business and I switched to smc. Steve with SPC recommended I use SMC. I switched to them and run the 4300 3s packs in my yeti xl.

I run the venom 3s 2200 in my crawlers. They are only $19 at my lhs and perform good as long as you scrap the crappy multi plug it comes with. Great customer service with lifetime warranty. I have had to have 1 out of 7 replaced.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jato I'd really like to see that proof using modern lipo's. Below is proof that >1C can be done w/o reducing battery health (3C charge, 13.3C discharge, 300+ tests). He got less than 10% capacity loss by 300+ cycles, which is well above the norm considering he charged up to 4.2v and discharged to 3.33v per cell. Other tests I've seen at 1C/10C show greater losses at similar voltages/cycles, while the same can be expected after 1000 cycles if you change end voltages to 4.1v/3.5v.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1142882-Test-a-Thunder-Power-Pro-Power-45-till

My suspicions are that most people charging at >5C are also reaching the limits during discharging. High discharge rates also affect battery life, drastically in many cases. It's kind of like someone saying "I use only the best shampoo for my cage-fighting dogs but their fur still falls out" - you've got other problems, buddy.

High-C charging can allow for other, even safer techniques. I now never have to leave a lipo charged for >1 day. I can use fast charge, which stops them a bit short but cuts lots of charging time (no low-amp trickle period). The runtime lost in capacity is more than made up by high-C charging, and any life lost by high-C charging is more than made up for by ending below 4.2v/cell.

I certainly wouldn't recommend >2C on crap batteries any more than I'd recommend the full rated discharge.

Yes, users like to argue this knid of question becuase they have different beileve.

That would get nearly as heated as politics and religion! :lmao:

It's been proven, time and time again, that charging at 1C is the best for the health and longevity of your battery.

Yes. This is what I always believe. :ror:

Jato I'd really like to see that proof using modern lipo's. Below is proof that >1C can be done w/o reducing battery health (3C charge, 13.3C discharge, 300+ tests). He got less than 10% capacity loss by 300+ cycles, which is well above the norm considering he charged up to 4.2v and discharged to 3.33v per cell. Other tests I've seen at 1C/10C show greater losses at similar voltages/cycles, while the same can be expected after 1000 cycles if you change end voltages to 4.1v/3.5v.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1142882-Test-a-Thunder-Power-Pro-Power-45-till

My suspicions are that most people charging at >5C are also reaching the limits during discharging. High discharge rates also affect battery life, drastically in many cases. It's kind of like someone saying "I use only the best shampoo for my cage-fighting dogs but their fur still falls out" - you've got other problems, buddy.

High-C charging can allow for other, even safer techniques. I now never have to leave a lipo charged for >1 day. I can use fast charge, which stops them a bit short but cuts lots of charging time (no low-amp trickle period). The runtime lost in capacity is more than made up by high-C charging, and any life lost by high-C charging is more than made up for by ending below 4.2v/cell.

I certainly wouldn't recommend >2C on crap batteries any more than I'd recommend the full rated discharge.

And I found some people use Pluse battery or Venom battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Maxamps for the first many years ( 2500 and 1300 mah )
First for my losi crawler then in my Honcho.
But i must admit with prize + shipping prise + handling fee and customs here, those might very well have been the worlds most expensive batteries if you look at mah/price.

But i got a lot of fun out of them, unlike my friend that had bad luck with his maxamps batteries.

For the past 4-5 years i have been running a 5000 mah - 3S Hyperion and some Turnigy batteries in my TF2

Lately and not least with my new SCX 10 II i have changed over to Turnigy Nano, that i have in 3S - 3000 mah, and 2 of those get me about 5 hours on the trail with " The E-dog" as i call my scale truck.
We do have some transit driving in between the good spots in the forest, so a lot of time its just like walking a well behaved dog.

I do love the hobbyking UK and EU warehouse, if only RPP had a EU warehouse i would be a happy camper, cuz really i cant afford to shop there as even cheap 20 dollars things get doubled in price with handling fee and customs.

Last edited:
Pretty much only run Turnigy Nano-Tech and just ordered my first set of Turnigy Graphene for my comp trucks. Never had a Turnigy pack fail me and I'm far from gentle on them. Really excited to try the Graphene. Sucks they're like 3-4x the price of the Nano-Tech. Hopefully it's worth it.

Pretty much only run Turnigy Nano-Tech and just ordered my first set of Turnigy Graphene for my comp trucks. Never had a Turnigy pack fail me and I'm far from gentle on them. Really excited to try the Graphene. Sucks they're like 3-4x the price of the Nano-Tech. Hopefully it's worth it.

I ran both in the 1300 flavor, and really saw no difference for the price. I also sold them with 25 cycles in them, so no long term experiences

Hang up and Drive

I think "best bang for your buck" requires some qualification. If you're okay with packs that will puff before their 50th run then you can find a LOT of excellent lipo deals vs Gens Ace. Any lipo will die if you constantly discharge below 3.5v & let them sit there and/or let them sit with a full charge for days. However many cheap brands will puff with zero abuse after a few dozen uses.

As far as Turnigy goes, their blue batteries are decent for low-amp use. Zippy Compact is a better deal for mid-amp use than the Turnigy blue. Nano-techs do poorly in high-amp usage, not worth it IMO. All the tests & reports I've seen on Turnigy Graphene has been very favorable with high-amp usage. They'll be my next choice if Gens Ace 4S don't come down from the huge price increase I saw this summer.

Back