• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Imthatguy's Yeti XL Review/Teardown

I came here just to check out the Yeti XL review, but found myself having a good chuckle about "twisted" haha, man I love this site.

I've got one of these on the way as a winter trail rig. I'm hoping I can gear it down on 4s and chew through some snow instead of kicking it along through these Alberta winters.. Other than the poopy servo does the steering feel solid or is it kind of flimsy? Stock wraith steering was JUNK so I was curious how they did on this unit.

Tire lift, A couple of my Traxxas IFS trucks from years back did the same thing. A rear sway bar does the most to counter against this. The more power you add the worse it can get.

So how are the driveshafts holding up on it? I noticed in the Scale 4x4 video the reviewer found they were starting to twist after a while. Do you figure this will need upgrading as well?

Tire lift, A couple of my Traxxas IFS trucks from years back did the same thing. A rear sway bar does the most to counter against this. The more power you add the worse it can get.

I learned that today. I was able to get a lot more tire lifting today on 6 cell. I was showing it off a local comp, and while we all agreed that it was fun on 6S, it wasn't really necessary. 4S is infinitely more controllable. That said, I'm still keeping my eyes open for a sway bar release...

So how are the driveshafts holding up on it? I noticed in the Scale 4x4 video the reviewer found they were starting to twist after a while. Do you figure this will need upgrading as well?

Holding up fine. And I really did my best today to try and break something. I'm very, very impressed with how well it's keeping itself together. Considering no replacement parts have hit the market yet, I'm quite glad of that. Nicely put together rig.

any recent opinions on the stock servo?

Funny, it's still holding up! Originally, I thought there was no way it would last through so much abuse, but lo and behold, still going strong.

Do I think that it could use a stronger one? Absolutely, but I won't replace it until it breaks. I'll have to look more closely at how the whole steering system works, because if the servo saver is so loose that a stronger servo isn't going to make a difference, well, that'll be step one.

I learned that today. I was able to get a lot more tire lifting today on 6 cell. I was showing it off a local comp, and while we all agreed that it was fun on 6S, it wasn't really necessary. 4S is infinitely more controllable. That said, I'm still keeping my eyes open for a sway bar release...

Holding up fine. And I really did my best today to try and break something. I'm very, very impressed with how well it's keeping itself together. Considering no replacement parts have hit the market yet, I'm quite glad of that. Nicely put together rig.

I couldn't agree more, 4s on this things is very well suited. As far as build, and over-all quality & durability, I'm also very impressed. I had the opportunity to dive into a complete tear down of one this weekend (helping my friend lube and shim Diff's & tranny), and I was very impressed with the beefy metal parts where needed, and robust plastics used on this rig. Axial did a great job on this beast. I can't wait to get my own. "thumbsup""thumbsup"
Oh yeah, the tires on this thing are sweet, soft, and sticky- great performers.

Funny, it's still holding up! Originally, I thought there was no way it would last through so much abuse, but lo and behold, still going strong.

Do I think that it could use a stronger one? Absolutely, but I won't replace it until it breaks. I'll have to look more closely at how the whole steering system works, because if the servo saver is so loose that a stronger servo isn't going to make a difference, well, that'll be step one.
I swapped out the servo for a hitec 7955 and also built a drag link out of ready rod and revo rod ends. I left the other 2 links plastic for now to give it a bit of give still, but so far it turns where I want it to. I think a good idea in the future might be delrin links to save the servo a bit.

I swapped out the servo for a hitec 7955 and also built a drag link out of ready rod and revo rod ends. I left the other 2 links plastic for now to give it a bit of give still, but so far it turns where I want it to. I think a good idea in the future might be delrin links to save the servo a bit.

I just received my yeti xl yesterday. I am wanting to upgrade the servo as you have done. I'm on the fence about what servo to go with. I really like the Savox SW1210SG.
But am am unsure of how to make it work being a taller servo. I am up for buying any servo, want it to be water proof though.

Xpert has a line of waterproof servos that just came out. One with about 400oz of torque at 7.4V

I think also Airtronics has a very high torque waterproof servo as well.

Xpert has a line of waterproof servos that just came out. One with about 400oz of torque at 7.4V

I think also Airtronics has a very high torque waterproof servo as well.

Oooo those xpert servo's look interesting, I'll be keeping them in mind.

Took it out today for a wet and cold bash with my three nephews. Despite our best efforts, we couldn't break anything again.

It's really a fun truck, and meant for bashing around with a 14, 10 and 6 year old. If you are one, or have one I highly recommend you pick one up. Just keep them out of the path of it.

I'm going to order those sway bar parts and see if I can't get something to help the torque twist.

Back