• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Imthatguy's Yeti XL Review/Teardown

Re: Imthatguy's Yeti XL Review/Teardown NOW wITH VideO

Impressive...real life driving in that video compared to the sandy wash flying in the Axial promo video which was probably shot 4 times each scene lol..

Interesting..still might get one..not sure yet though!!!

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop

This is the reason I will build a revo to compare the Yeti XL to. It's Handles like no other and is tough. It is my altime favorite rc and I want to breath new life into it. The Yeti XL will help in the body and tire department and a custom frame I already have just need to shorten it to fit the buggy body.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UsO-HHeBIQ
P.s. I hope that you stay with axial and that it is everything you need. As for me I like everything and would never say anything that would piggion hole me to a brand.
If we ever meet up I would show you why. To many cool ideas to stay with just one brand.

I am primarily a scale builder, so I don't presume to be an expert on fast RC's. Traxxas vehicles have never really been something I've ever wanted, for whatever reason. They just don't appeal to me. For the record, I am by no means a one-brand RC enthusiast. I've been very pleased with my past experiences with HPY, Tamita, Axle and RC3WD, so I don't think I'm pigeon-holing myself by saying I don't like Traxxas. I like to go slow.

Well done mate, good work.
Thanks heaps. "thumbsup"

The pleasure is quite literally, all mine.

That thing is massive.

Sent from my Moto X

It's large, and relatively, in charge.

Sweet vid man!

It dose look like it wants to kick the back end up a lot even in your vid. I really think it needs some shock tuning, or some different springs. Maybe both.

Are the places to mount sway bars on it?
And did it come with any?

No sway bars were included, and I don't think it was intended to have them. With the open diff, you wouldn't really need one.

Thanks for putting together this video. It makes me much more interested in the Yeti XL than the official Axial video. This is much more like the kind of driving I would do with the rig.

Thanks for the kind words. I wanted to put it through some more realistic (for me anyway) driving.

Yep your video sold me on this truck.
Cant wait

That's nice. Glad I could help you part with your money.

well done as always man. thanks for the work into this one.

I really appreciate that. Thanks very much. I really love making videos, almost as much as I love building tiny trucks.

Nice review! Can't wait to get mine. Hopefully we'll see some upgrade options for this beast.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of aftermarket support there is for this. It's pretty niche, so I'm not sure it'll get a huge following. That said, I'm not a huge (no pun intended) expert on large scale RC, so I might be way off base. Axial could have big plans for this platform, and maybe there'll be a lot of R&D here that pays off in the future. Having Hobbico as a parent company has helped them diversify their product base dramatically in the short time since it happened.

Impressive...real life driving in that video compared to the sandy wash flying in the Axial promo video which was probably shot 4 times each scene lol..

Interesting..still might get one..not sure yet though!!!

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop

Heh, I still shot my scenes at minimum four times! Glad you enjoyed, I had a blast making it.

That's all well and good but did you get me a rock?

Of course I did!

Headquake signed it for you too.

Lol I think have a different idea of "scale" ..... Check out the builds hes done over time.

I think the revo platform would really lay it down to the xl for for racing for sure. But there is no comparison in what they will look like

Axial Racing - Yeti

If you look at the from of the diff case there is a sway bar mount.
The control arms have a mounting side on the rear of the arm as well. This will help keeping the inside tire down.

Axial Racing - Yeti

If you look at the from of the diff case there is a sway bar mount.
The control arms have a mounting side on the rear of the arm as well. This will help keeping the inside tire down.

Image 16 on Axials site shows something very similar to the Exo sway bar mount on the front bulkhead. Don't see nothin' on the ass end though....

on the rear cage section mounted to the chassis there is a spot where the sway bar would mount, it then attaches to the lower links just in front of the shock, you can see a hole in the arm there.

Kind of surprised that Headquakes kitty didn't get into the video, it seems to show up on every video that he shoots. :ror:

It'll be interesting to see what sort of aftermarket support there is for this. It's pretty niche, so I'm not sure it'll get a huge following. That said, I'm not a huge (no pun intended) expert on large scale RC, so I might be way off base. Axial could have big plans for this platform, and maybe there'll be a lot of R&D here that pays off in the future. Having Hobbico as a parent company has helped them diversify their product base dramatically in the short time since it happened.

It is a very interesting platform. I work at DDM which is a bit of a hub for Large Scale RC stuff (and sponsor to the rclargescale forum run by Badger).

Having personally been an Axial enthusiast for a few years we have pre-ordered one to get our hands on and see if there is anything we can offer for users of this platform with regard to performance parts/shiny parts. I am checking our backorder daily looking for shipping confirmation. :lmao: While our focus has been on 2-stroke gassers for large scale I think that we could see getting behind this product and supporting it.

This is a very well done write up and the video was top notch! "thumbsup"

I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel and since things have picked up at work, have been out of touch with RC the past 3 months.

I have a brand new Yeti, still in the freakin' box for crying out loud! :lmao:

Now the Yeti XL is out? Fantastic!?

I really like how you shot that video. I know the "performance" folks are going to say otherwise, but I really like how the larger scale models almost have an exaggerated body movement.

I'll have to get the Yeti XL now as well, so it can sit in the box for a few months...thanks a lot :flipoff:

On the rear portion of the front arm there is an oval hole for a sway bar end link mount.

And the diff mounts apears to be similar to the exo's

Last edited:
Back