• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Imthatguy's Yeti XL Review/Teardown

Kind of surprised that Headquakes kitty didn't get into the video, it seems to show up on every video that he shoots. :ror:

We kept her in the house this time around. She tends to follow and we didn't want to scare her with this one.

I saw it, you didnt look hard enough.

I didnt actually see it...

You need to do more acid if you want to see the cat in ALL the videos.

I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel and since things have picked up at work, have been out of touch with RC the past 3 months.

I have a brand new Yeti, still in the freakin' box for crying out loud! :lmao:

Now the Yeti XL is out? Fantastic!?

I really like how you shot that video. I know the "performance" folks are going to say otherwise, but I really like how the larger scale models almost have an exaggerated body movement.

I'll have to get the Yeti XL now as well, so it can sit in the box for a few months...thanks a lot :flipoff:

Thanks very much for your comments! It's certainly fun to drive. The Yeti Jr. is fun too, in a very different way.

Could you post a picture of a box of Cheez-it under one of the wheels of the Yeti XL, like I have done here. I did it with the front tire. My wheel base is at 18.75".
/QUOTE]

Sorry, we don't have the same size boxes in Canada.

I'm building it to put the Yeti XL body on it. The motor mount will hold motors that are 40mm Dia. and up to 90mm long. I have a TP 4050 that is 90mm long that is 2220kv. It is more than is needed for this build. I also have a Castle 1717 motor but The can is to big in dia. I also hav a ix8 esc if I go to a sensored motor. Leopard LBPS4074-2150KV Brushless Motor (Sensored) would be my next motor for this build.
I hope when I'm done people don't think of it as Frankinstein.
Oh for you guys looking for monster sensoered motors. The Leopard LBPS4074-2150KV blows the Tekin out of the water and I can buy 3 of theses motors for one of the Tekin baby motors.
Leopard LBPS4074-2150KV Brushless Motor (Sensored) - HeliPal

Could you please consider starting your own thread? I'd like to leave this one as clean as possible for XL-related musings and technical data. Thanks!

What a great tear down and video review! I am very excited to see the YetiXL in person. I work at DDM, which specializes in large scale (primarily 1/5) and a forum sponsor for Badgers other forum. We are interested enough in this platform that we have ordered one in to review and see what kinds of upgrades and parts that we can make to make the truck better. I can see there is a ton of potential for this truck to be extremely popular and redefine the bigger brushless powered off road segment.

What a great tear down and video review! I am very excited to see the YetiXL in person. I work at DDM, which specializes in large scale (primarily 1/5) and a forum sponsor for Badgers other forum. We are interested enough in this platform that we have ordered one in to review and see what kinds of upgrades and parts that we can make to make the truck better. I can see there is a ton of potential for this truck to be extremely popular and redefine the bigger brushless powered off road segment.

It's great to see that ddm may be on board with this yeti xl you may have just made my choice of a new rc for me. You can have all my money just like when I had my baja

It's great to see that ddm may be on board with this yeti xl you may have just made my choice of a new rc for me. You can have all my money just like when I had my baja

I'm curious to see what sort of aftermarket support there's going to be. In it's stock form, it's pretty fun. I definitely see a servo upgrade in my future, and I'd like to see what a thicker fluid could do in the rear for handling in trickier situations.

Taking it out again this afternoon. Look forward to a progress report.

I'm curious to see what sort of aftermarket support there's going to be. In it's stock form, it's pretty fun. I definitely see a servo upgrade in my future, and I'd like to see what a thicker fluid could do in the rear for handling in trickier situations.

Taking it out again this afternoon. Look forward to a progress report.

Yeah me too I'm sure the regular scaler/crawler guys will be on board but we could see some of the 1/5 scale guys too. In the 1/5 scale world ddm is the go to place to buy parts and they support the little guys.

Have fun today and keep everyone posted on it

So today I took it out to a wide open field to really stretch it's legs.

I got a lot of speed from 4S and found that I wouldn't want much more. When I was at the HOP and not constantly pinning the throttle, we were able to turn it around a fair bit and it handled quite well on the track. When you're flailing it around in more of a bashing scenario on grass and loose sand, you really notice the weakness of the servo. Turns were painfully wide, unless you give it some throttle and throw it into a turn. Easier said than done on grass though. The tires do an almost-too excellent job of biting into the terrain and the XL would prefer to flip than turn sharply.

At speed, minor corrections on the steering work great. It really is quite point and shoot. I was able to judge when I'd need to make a correction to avoid an obstacle, and lo and behold, the XL would respond. Imagine how good it would be if it had some more torque in that servo.

I noticed a lot of the front tire lift that I experienced at the HOP. I'm not sure that a sway bar would help much, as I feel like it's torque from the rear that's causing it. I suspect a thicker diff oil up front might calm that down. Not as much of the rear-lift on these wide open spaces. I found some uneven areas to try to replicate it and I feel like it's as much driver error as it could be anything else. Constant throttle does tend to throw the rear around quite a bit. It'll take some experimenting to find more balance.

I found a nice curb where I could throttle it hard and test some durability. Lots of endos later, and still, nothing broken. It's quite robust. I wasn't intentionally looking to break things, but I did beat on it harder today than at the HOP in an effort to see what might break.

2x5000mah 2S batteries lasted about 20 minutes of much more intense driving.

Why would you not change the servo if you know it isn't up to what is needed to get the performance that is needed. All RTR are in need of stronger servos, why would this be any different?
As for posting more than the motors I'm sorry. ai just wanted to share a sensored motor that is lage and incharge that doesn't break the bank.

Why would you not change the servo if you know it isn't up to what is needed to get the performance that is needed. All RTR are in need of stronger servos, why would this be any different?
As for posting more than the motors I'm sorry. ai just wanted to share a sensored motor that is lage and incharge that doesn't break the bank.

Because I'm reviewing an RTR? A complete and unbiased review of what comes out of the box. I'll get into upgrades once I'm satisfied I've spent enough time with it stock. I appreciate you wanting to share your build, and motors and such, but I'd like to keep this YetiXL related. Cheers.

imthatguy: Have you heard anything about a kit version of this?

I have not, but then again, I haven't asked. I'm going to speculate that there won't be one though. I'd like to be proven wrong though. Kits are infinitely better for a number of reasons.

Sounds like a good time today and your review is starting to sell me on this as a replacement for my brushless emaxx. Rccar action has a first run video up and they clocked it at 55mph on 6s. Have you had this up against any other trucks like an emaxx or summit as a size comparison I'm thinking this thing is more like the size of hpi baja.

Sounds like a good time today and your review is starting to sell me on this as a replacement for my brushless emaxx. Rccar action has a first run video up and they clocked it at 55mph on 6s. Have you had this up against any other trucks like an emaxx or summit as a size comparison I'm thinking this thing is more like the size of hpi baja.

I'm not much of a large scale speed/basher guy. This is my first one of it's type. That said, I can say that this is not like a Baja. That thing is massive, and built like a tank. Not a fair comparison at all. I've toyed (no pun intended) with the idea of getting a Baja at some point, but I live in the city, and there's just nowhere reasonable to run something like that.

55mph sounds completely possible, but I'd be scared of that. :oops:

Axial-Yeti-XL-Review-21.jpg

Is this Imthatguy's review of a Yeti XL or twissted's review of everything but?

Anyway, I'd love to see you crashing into curbs on purpose. That's very out of character for you!

I believe the HPI buggy is around 21" long and the yeti xl is 18.5"
So getting back to the review. Do you see this buggy in a competition like a u4 or just as a basher?
In some reviews that are out I get the feeling that they are just for bashing. I would hope not but if the size hinders what people are willing to do to make it competitive in a new class is the million dollar question. I think it will happen if Axial releases the Wraith XL of the same size to compete with.

Oh by the way I built a one off 1/5 sc truck to compete agaist the Losi 5T, they look the same from the out side but that is as far as they are the same. I spent close to 5000.00 to make that happen.
This project is much the same for me, but on a cheaper level. I will have both the Yeti XL but will have the Revo built to blow it's doors off just as I did with the Losi 5T.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVlbykIIX0

Wait, you have a Revo?!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jKGjOE_7bYI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back