• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

That’s sweet. Nice job man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That rear bumper with its tail lights and their retainers is a friggin' masterpiece.

On the one hand there's having a 3d-printer and printing yourself existing items...

On the other hand there's also designing and engineering solutions that you then print!

If you ever decide to retire from whatever it is you do for a living, I firmly believe you could start a company creating scale parts for R/C and be successful.

"thumbsup"

Spectacular build, Casey! Some fantastic detail work exemplified here. "thumbsup"

Thanks for the kind words.

Durok I was thinking about all the parts for this build and most of them could be used without any special modifications so in theory I could compile all of the designs as a package so anyone could reproduce it.

I had the Pro 44 metal bearing clamps for a while and finally installed them. Stock ones are plastic.

jUqmoQ4l.jpg

I saw what new2rocks did re-routing his motor wires out of the bellhousing and I was inspired to re-route mine and make up a plug for the hole left in the intake manifold. I'm not running an oil pan because it doesn't fit when using the motor spacer but this allows me to just run the wires out the bottom end.

amLFWLdl.jpg

I recreated the SSD logo so the plug looked like a badge or something.

gXrdhzUl.jpg

XRr5jd3l.jpg

XZf7WnSl.jpg

I did a black wash on it which didn't really take too well because the surface is so smooth, but its a grimy enough to fit in I think.

NHEl8bAl.jpg

vvUwTAEl.jpg

I finally decided to commit and fully slide in the tail light retainers. the bottom of this piece has some slop but it gets tighter at the top. Its a press fit and removal was not designed into this piece lol :mrgreen:

75igAzCl.jpg

SJN4YhUl.jpg

I designed the rear body mounts in isolation from the rear bumper and ran into a clearance issue with the body mount and led holders. I reworked both and it also gave me the opportunity to shrink down the body mount to leave room for a fuel cell.

Every millimeter counts
t1o1pCZl.jpg

here you can see what I notched on the body mount.

kgIgzpnl.jpg

Oh and here's a better look at the rear bumper mount. I like to build the crossmember into the bumper, I think its one of the strongest ways to do it.

oDeEwOzl.jpg

Love the build. Your design and printing is excellent, really like the front and rear bars

Thank you rs10man!

I worked up a new mount and a new fuel cell so it can fit between the frame rails and clear the diff at full compression.

pKVQKf7l.jpg

I'm having issues making a sturdy enough strap to replace the stock ones. I really wanted to make my own so I could include the SSD logo on them. I'm printing one last test and if that doesn't work I'll retro fit these logos onto the original straps.

For now I've used the original straps and I've just set the SSD logo on top of them.

R8sFSHLl.jpg

I really wanted to use the original mount because I really like the logo in it, but its too wide to fit. Its funny normally I dont like stickers and logo's but I find myself really wanting to display SSD's logo.
lzro5l2l.jpg

So far the only things I was able to reuse is the fuel cell top and straps, and the straps might go if I can come up with a stronger 3D printed version.

How much is SSD paying you, and is it in pounds? :lmao:

Taillights look perfect tucked!

LOL

One last paid advertisement.

Rn4fBk6l.jpg

wFturcml.jpg

I was able to get a stronger strap by orienting the print on its side. When printed like this the layers provide a lot more strength. You can actually see it just looks stronger too.
I knew printing it this way would be better but I thought I'd try printing it the "wrong" way in order to get a better looking print, wasn't worth it.

MYsFlbkl.jpg

This is how it prints with it laying flat. I couldn't even get a screw installed without these just cracking instantly.

kUcr4uLl.jpg

Last edited:
LOL
One last paid advertisement.
Rn4fBk6l.jpg
wFturcml.jpg
I was able to get a stronger strap by orienting the print on its side. When printed like this the layers provide a lot more strength. You can actually see it just looks stronger too.
MYsFlbkl.jpg
Niiiiiiiice. The more I see things like this, the more I REALLY want a 3D printer. Maybe after this coronavirus crap is over, and I'm back to work.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place [emoji1690]

Niiiiiiiice. The more I see things like this, the more I REALLY want a 3D printer. Maybe after this coronavirus crap is over, and I'm back to work.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place [emoji1690]

Thanks!

I dont think I envisioned that I'd be using my 3D printer as much as I am. I guess it just one of those things with tools, you dont realize how many uses it has until you get it.

Thanks!

I dont think I envisioned that I'd be using my 3D printer as much as I am. I guess it just one of those things with tools, you dont realize how many uses it has until you get it.
Understandable. Some businesses find a need, and then fill it. Others...such as 3D printers...the product is created, then people 'create' needs for it. But, as time passes, realistic needs for it start appearing. When I do get around to it, it's looking more & more like the Prusa Mini will be the most likely choice.

When I do get around to it, it's looking more & more like the Prusa Mini will be the most likely choice.

I would have thought the Prusa mini would be a great option but a few people mentioned that it does have some issues http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/608237-3d-printers-printing-10.html#post6008810

My guess is they'll try to come up with some fix's and like their previous upgrade kits maybe offer them to mini owners. but who knows, maybe its best to wait that one out to see.

EDIT: I was curious to see some mini review and found one guy who had some issues and eventually a fix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ1gPa8GATQ

Last edited:
Those SSD logos are killer.

Seems I'm feelin' the need to at least comment on every little detail you add..."thumbsup"

You really have put a lot of work into this. Well done and thanks for the logos "thumbsup"

Those SSD logos are killer.

Seems I'm feelin' the need to at least comment on every little detail you add..."thumbsup"

I appreciate it, thanks!

You really have put a lot of work into this. Well done and thanks for the logos "thumbsup"

I'm happy you like it, I wasn't sure if I'd be stepping on your toes or not with the logos.

I scrounged up an old junk sensor wire that worked well as the spark plug wires, nice and small (1mm or so) and very flexible. I used heat shrink as the boots.

e9dGonKl.jpg

Then I printed up a tiny Plug wire comb/separator.

fuBkKeNl.jpg

I modeled a highly detailed Ignitor and mount, then realized it was so tiny most of the detail wouldn't be visible, oh well still fits the bill. I really need to get a smaller nozzle to test out miniatures.
I used CA to glue it to the block.

WxACDXQl.jpg

I ran the wires under the header. I dont know how folks do this with 1:1's without melting them but I think I should be able to keep temps under control :mrgreen:
zMr6W9Wl.jpg

Oh and I made up a new header with a bit of a turn down at the collector (as was requested) to make routing easier.
HqDaWQ1l.jpg

I'm thinking I will have the space to run the exhaust back and out the sides so long as theres no cross over as thats what complicates things.
Shinchu had asked what the OD of the collector was and its 9.1mm (7mm ID)

Last edited:
I worked up some more of the exhaust. I'm planning on a side exit in front of the rear tires. I'll get to the tail pipes later, I just wanted this section in so I could plan where the ESC and BEC will be able to fit.

CU1kfJel.jpg

The passenger side (its right hand drive) just clears the front driveshaft.

olDwX5tl.jpg

This leaves just enough space for the ESC and BEC to fit next to the exhaust.

FbO1JoDl.jpg

Since the seat on this body has the clever slider that allows it to move forward and backwards the floor is a lot lower than usual underneath. Most other bodies have more usable height under the seat. Anyway its tight on space.

It was so tight I had to de-case the ESC and solder on the motor wires a bit lower, removing the case allowed for this. Instead of being soldered on the top of the posts I was able to solder them to the sides of them. I had assumed that if I de-cased it I could reduce how tall the ESC is but thats not the case the bottom is glued in with the potting process (filling electronics with epoxy to seal them up).

erWHANvl.jpg

I7MxaJtl.jpg

I had to clearance the interior to clear the exhaust, I though this would be easier than remaking the exhaust as that design was pushing my CAD talent to the limit (I'm still new to this stuff).

underside of the interior

YftIFTsl.jpg

YmM7UjVl.jpg

I used a piece of .5mm styrene that I heated and bent to shape to patch this hole from the inside. I held it in place on the outside so I could scribe the shape I need to cut into it, you can see the mark it left. I left it a bit big so I had something to glue to.

dOFrvYul.jpg

I though my distributor was clearing the cowl but noticed it was bending it a bit when the body was on. I filed a relief into it so it clears.

KnodJOcl.jpg

I noticed my front fender flares weren't quite mounted symmetrically so I slotted the mount holes on one side and filled the holes with some slurry (melted body plastic). Before this adjustment the front bumper extended into the wheel well on this side.

slotted and filled
t9kjHDgl.jpg

I needed to move it a touch more so I slotted and filled again, sanded and cleaned up. You can see the grey material and how far I had to move it, maybe 2mm or so. I also added a bit of material near the holes to beef them up a bit, they still need to cure and be cleaned up.

7vyoyaXl.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great my man. You are pouring it into this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I prefer to work slowly rather than just rushing through.

I'm gonna try to cut off the under hood details after I add a Brake booster/master cylinder and a (car) battery.

I modeled this up earlier in the week in finally got around to printing it. I still need to make it look like its holding fluid. I'm not sure how I'll finish off the brake lines I'll probably just fake them and make them terminate somewhere out of sight.

I'm pleased with the results

sZm0JbIl.jpg

lvC5oP6l.jpg

Some stellar detail work to be sure...I'd lose my mind, and the rest of my vision!

I had a bad moment when I first looked at these latest adds, flashback to my hot rod days instead of RC I guess. I had the briefest thought that your exhaust was awfully close to some of that wiring without heat shielding...followed by an immediate WTF was I thinking?? Have to appreciate realism that inspires such thoughts. "thumbsup"

Some stellar detail work to be sure...I'd lose my mind, and the rest of my vision!

I had a bad moment when I first looked at these latest adds, flashback to my hot rod days instead of RC I guess. I had the briefest thought that your exhaust was awfully close to some of that wiring without heat shielding...followed by an immediate WTF was I thinking?? Have to appreciate realism that inspires such thoughts. "thumbsup"

Thanks!

I'll admit I have the same thoughts about the wires and heat lol

Maybe I do need some heat shielding, naaa I need to keep moving forward :mrgreen:

Back