• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

How-To:Cutting with thread

Just wanted to thank you. This is faster and more accurate than xacto blades or my dremel.

Makes me wonder what else I am doing the hard way :)

X2...geez, wish I had known this tip when I was a geeky teenager kit bashing models. I dont know what I have ruined more, flesh or plastic with missguided x-acto blades. Even now I build scale tugboats, and could have used this technique a couple of times. OH well, now I know. It makes me want to go out and buy a hardbody to cut nice neat lines all over it.

i used the sewing string method to bob and dovetail the nose and bed of my toyota, and it worked like a charm. a little time consuming tho...

cimg0892qa8.jpg

cimg0725ed5.jpg

cimg0751kp2.jpg

Doe this work with the lexan bodys or only on the harder plastic bodies.

I tried it with both cotton and synthetic thread on a heavy Lexan body and had no luck at all. It just snaps the thread very quickly. Any tips from those that have had this work on Lexan?

This is a cool technique, i hear you can do this with pvc too?

Is it the same way just have to drill a hole in the pvc this time? I need to do some fine work with pvc and a big saw just won't cut it (har har har a pun)

This is a cool technique, i hear you can do this with pvc too?

Is it the same way just have to drill a hole in the pvc this time? I need to do some fine work with pvc and a big saw just won't cut it (har har har a pun)
yes, works with PVC. someone (maybe in this thread) mentioned plumbers use this trick all the time in tight spaces.
"thumbsup"

Sweet! That's awesome man! Definitely gonna use this technique for cutting those annoying lexan bodies... almost impossible to get the wheel wells right with and X-acto.

WOW!

I have been needing to finish a model for my Dad's birthday and I wanted to make the doors functional without buying two kits.

Great tips!

Back