• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

How-To:Cutting with thread

does it work on lexan too?

" It Slices, It Dices" It will even cut lexan, You would be surprised what you can cut with it.

Great post "thumbsup"
I especially like how it removes very minimal material. What type of thread do you suggest? Cotton or synthetic?

I tried some cuts today using both,I did not really see much of a difference.

I'm glad to see that I could share a tip thats new and useful to so many people, I'll make sure it's not the last time.

Ryan.

I've tried cotton before it only ripped, maybe next time I'll try synthetic or spiderwire instead (I know that stuff works well on fingers!)

OMG i should have read this last night INSTEAD of hacking up a new body and then getting TICKED off and buying another body... and wasting another 70$

being a novice sucks!!! and its Expensive:-(

that is sweet. now i dont have to be scared of making a misstake on cuting my bodies....wow that makes it sound like i cut my self..lol thanks for the tip.

Good writeup...

this used to be the ONLY way I would cut stuff when I used to build models..

Great results every time... "thumbsup"

Just wanted to thank you. This is faster and more accurate than xacto blades or my dremel.

Makes me wonder what else I am doing the hard way :)

That's great, I want to be the first to nominate this for the "Cheap tricks" sticky thread! Just wish I had heard about it before I tried to use a rusty cheese grater to trim my Skool Bus body!

great idea "thumbsup" i've been doing 1/24 scale models forever and never thought of this....what weight thread are you using....i have some heavy thread that i use for making canvas hunting bags for my muzzleloaders and can't snap it by pulling it with my hands to where i'm not cutting myself....to where i have regular thread that snaps at the lightest pull by hand, i can't see this thread working at all..................bob

great idea "thumbsup" i've been doing 1/24 scale models forever and never thought of this....what weight thread are you using....i have some heavy thread that i use for making canvas hunting bags for my muzzleloaders and can't snap it by pulling it with my hands to where i'm not cutting myself....to where i have regular thread that snaps at the lightest pull by hand, i can't see this thread working at all..................bob

I would just judge it by the thickness. Is the thread thicker than the line you are taking out? If so, move down to a thinner thread. In the demo, I just used standard sewing machine thread that the wife had laying around. I believe it is 40 wt.

I hope that everybody gives it a try and feel free to post up your pics here.

"thumbsup"

Peace out...
Ryan

Great idea! Have you tried dental floss? It should be stronger than thread. I used to use it to remove emblems on cars without hurting the paint or messing up the emblem. It's an old paint and body trick for 1.1 vehicles.

Ryan,
Thanks a TON for this tip. I tried it today and I couldnt believe how EASY it cut.

0001-1.jpg

0002.jpg

I used "all purpose" thread I bought at the drug store, no special thickness or anything. And it wasnt hard to keep it from breaking-steady pressure, count to 30 strokes and feed some more...I used the blue tape as a straight edge and cutting like this is slow enough that its easy to keep to the line. Also cuts pretty cleanly.

"thumbsup"

Back