• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Horizon Hobby buys Proline Racing

The assender got discontinued? About time, good concept but terrible execution with crazy high diff gearing, garbage cvd axles and too narrow link separation. Good riddance.

As long as horizon doesn't lock themselves into some distributorship I don't see this as a negative.

I saw this and was both shocked and not surprised at all.

I think the blending of the two brands will be slow, with nothing major happening in the short term. Long term will probably be a different story though, and hopefully the quality of the Proline product doesn't diminish because of profitability concerns.

Seems the only major component Horizon is missing now is good motors....maybe that is an announcement coming in the future.

Not overly thrilled about it as I’m not a huge fan of a single entity gobbling up other smaller related companies.

I’m an avid gun owner and watched Freedom group buy up and ruin many repuatable gun and gun accessory related companies.

Let’s hope that isn’t the case here.

Maybe with Horizon’s corporate ties, we’ll see more variety of bodies and tires available from PL?

I know that Associated was bought out by Thunder Tiger, but they where smart enough to let Associated do what Associated does.

Sure they’ve slapped the Associated name on some TT garbage, but business is business sometimes.

Theres a live youtube show scheduled for 5:30 PST made by Velocity RC called RC Babble

Anyway their topic today is the Pro-line merger (they dont answer many comments BTW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn_FFCAbE8g

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tn_FFCAbE8g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
All I know is I'm gonna be pissed if Pro-line starts moving production outside of the US.

I'm trying to be optimistic about this, but it's hard. I'm an avid Twin and Ascender fan, so the last Horizon takeover has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interesting I guess.

After reading many comments, it seems consumers are mostly pessimistic on this one.

My guess, is that not much will change in the short term. It will take some time for the affects of the acquisition to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m torn in wether it was a good idea for horizon to buy out proline or not.

The good part is they will hopefully be able to give traxxas a taste of it’s own medicine and win a lawsuit against traxxas. I mean why sue a hurting hpi over a receiver box that every company uses? Along with why sue arrma because they have better stuff??

At the same time I can see horizon killing off proline or having another hobbico happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m torn in wether it was a good idea for horizon to buy out proline or not.

The good part is they will hopefully be able to give traxxas a taste of it’s own medicine and win a lawsuit against traxxas. I mean why sue a hurting hpi over a receiver box that every company uses? Along with why sue arrma because they have better stuff??

At the same time I can see horizon killing off proline or having another hobbico happen

When it comes to crime you should blame the criminal not the laws. In the case of Traxxas patent lawsuits, blame the companies that infringed on their patents not Traxxas for defending them. Once a company has a patent they absolutely must defend it in court or they could lose the patent. Traxxas did absolutely nothing wrong.

Patents aren't cut and dry. Are other companies using waterproof receiver boxes without infringing on Traxxas patents? Yes. Are other companies using cantilever suspension with inboard shocks without infringing on Traxxas patents? Yes. Arrma absolutely deserved to get sued. They straight up copied the Revo. It was so blatant that I have no idea how any lawyer at Arrma let that happen.

Love Traxxas or hate them, they have done way more good for this hobby than harm. They are also probably responsible for bringing more new people into this hobby than any other RC company. Their push of RTR's, the invention of the Slash and all of the stock racing classes it created, getting RC's into retail stores like Pep Boys and their TV commercials during and their presence at motorsports events is unparalleled by any other RC manufacturer.

Well the ideal situation would be Pro-Line just doing their normal thing while operating under HH and just being the "official" upgrade tires/bodies for certain vehicles. Someone mentioned Duratrax earlier but honestly their paints and tires are far better than their vehicles ever were, despite the Evader being my entry to the hobby. What's funny to me is the way Traxxas can just put a rig out and let the aftermarket take care of it while Horizon seems to just be absorbing all the former aftermarket brands into itself. Anyways here's the statement on the Horizon Hobby site with the BS mostly trimmed off:

Horizon Hobby said:
Our partnership with Horizon creates significant opportunity for us to take Pro-Line to the next level by leveraging Horizon’s resources, such as global marketing and distribution channels.”

Dickerson added, “Further, Pro-Line manufactures in the United States and will help Horizon expand our manufacturing experience.”

Pro-Line will continue to operate at their facility in Banning, CA. The terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Good for Horizon, not convinced it’s to the consumers benefit in any way. I actually find all the sell-outs to Horizon disappointing. Smaller independent companies have soul and I am inclined to support them whenever possible. Corporate giants don’t have that. But I get that they have their place. This buy just tells me Horizon can’t figure out how to make a decent tire on their own. Not exactly who I want in charge Proline...

Good for Horizon, not convinced it’s to the consumers benefit in any way.

This buy just tells me Horizon can’t figure out how to make a decent tire on their own. Not exactly who I want in charge Proline...

So a Chinese buyer would work better for you? American retail hobby distributor should work Better for us little guys. As far as making tires or anything, I wasn’t aware Horizon made anything, except slapped labels on. Educate me.

Hang up and Drive

So a Chinese buyer would work better for you? American retail hobby distributor should work Better for us little guys. As far as making tires or anything, I wasn’t aware Horizon made anything, except slapped labels on. Educate me.

Hang up and Drive

A Chinese Buyer? I wasn’t aware the were Chinese buyers in line. In fact I had no clue Proline was even for sale. It appears it is you that will have to educate me on what you are speaking of.

You make a good point. Horizon isn’t really making anything are they? They buy and collect businesses that design and manufacture goods, if you want to be more specific about it. Hence, the I used the word soulless and why I really appreciate upstart businesses. However If this means Horizon will use Proline a a step towards manufacturing all of there tires in US then that is pretty cool. Who knows, maybe this means more tires in more sizes,(win, win)Time will tell, fingers are crossed.

You have a hair stuck across your asshole these days Mike? You seem easily offended. None of this is about or has anything to do with me, contrary to what your question might attempt to imply.

No hairs, I’m just a normal asshole!

I asked about a Chinese buyer as if a company declares itself ready for acquisition on the open market. The Chinese who copy and steal anything manufactured could end up as the highest bidder in this global economy. I and my LHS (longtime ProLine dealer) were shocked.....BUT two successful names in USA Hobby combining ? That is a huge consumer win. You've got to have business savvy to survive.

Horizion since acquiring Axial has made Axial wanted again, thanks to their know how at Losi.

I’m hoping this will generate more US RC manufacturing as the shortage we’ve seen really sucks.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited:
You make a good point. Horizon isn’t really making anything are they? They buy and collect businesses that design and manufacture goods, if you want to be more specific about it. Hence, the I used the word soulless and why I really appreciate upstart businesses. However If this means Horizon will use Proline a a step towards manufacturing all of there tires in US then that is pretty cool. Who knows, maybe this means more tires in more sizes,(win, win)Time will tell, fingers are crossed.

Josh mentioned this in his most recent Scale News video. Since the rest of the vehicle is made in Taiwan, it probably wouldnt be cost effective to start putting American made Proline tires on their vehicles. Hopefully they dont ship all of Prolines manufacturing overseas and then start using those parts for factory vehicles.

No hairs, I’m just a normal asshole!

I asked about a Chinese buyer as if a company declares itself ready for acquisition, The Chinese who copy and steal anything manufactured could end up as the highest bidder in this global economy.

I’m hoping this will generate more US RC manufacturing as the shortage we’ve seen really sucks.

Hang up and Drive

:ror:

There is no doubt the poor parts availability has been disappointing. It’s much preferable to simply buy the parts you need as you need them as apposed to buying what you think you’ll need in 3 months out of concern for for future availability

Somehow the original scx came with Pro-line 1.9 Flat Irons. I thought those were made in USA, but the kit was made in Taiwan if I recall correctly. Wonder how those found there way into the box?

Notice the official statement said "will continue to operate in", which I interpret differently than "will continue manufacturing in".

Nothing like getting ground breaking news like this and having no one in real life to even remotely discuss it with. Thank goodness for This forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing like getting ground breaking news like this and having no one in real life to even remotely discuss it with. Thank goodness for This forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch Josh/Matt tomorrow night on you tube, Paul(?) from pro line will be the guest

Hang up and Drive

Back