• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HH's BR/XL operating on 6s LiPo

TacoCrawler

I wanna be Dave
I'm not sure how to search this or in what folder specifically...
as I've tried several searches here and google but seem to be having bad luck finding discussion regarding.
Can anyone offer me a search direction or links to, regarding this discussion ?

I plan on running my BR/XL using 6S liPo voltage...

So I wanted to know if I need alter the BR/XL's settings or if it's an auto voltage adjust during plug in ?

Looking at the instructions doesn't really discuss this or I'm missing that ?

https://holmeshobbies.com/downloads/documentation/torquemaster-br-instructions.pdf

I'm running a HH's 35T TM motor (540), 87/14 (48p), 5.80" tires.
My chassis is a custom 1/6 scale build using a Wraith drive train.
Probably weighs in nearing 12 Lbs.

I'm using a HH's RX by-pass / CC BEC (7.4v) for my Savox 2290 servo.

The BR/XL user instr. don't mention making changes to run it on 6S, but that it's capable of utilizing up to 6s voltage.
Does that mean it's capable of utilizing 6s without doing anything ? ( Plug n Play ? )

I'll be using dual 3s LiPo batteries wired in a series to combine for 6s voltage.

Curious as to whom has already done so and if ya have any links to share regarding.

Anything I should know before I fry my electronics ? Lol

I'm sure I'll drive easy so I don't break the drive train...
But the transmission internals are beefed up with steel gears, so if I go easy I should be able to hold together.

I'm mostly doing this just out of curiosity. Normally I run 3s duals wired parallel.

Both my parallel and series harnesses are Castle 10 Ga. wire with Deans connectors.
So I'll guess that 10 Ga. should suffice ?

Besides just wishing me luck... offering some tips would be most helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks if you have any "on hands" advice to offer.

Last edited:
Motor will last all of 10ft before it throws a winding or roaches the comm.

BRXL should survive without issue.

At 12lbs, you really should be considering a brushless setup.

Brushed motors don't usually get that warm. The parts that generate heat are spinning on the inside.

This motor was run on 4s in a beast 6x6, ~11lbs rtr
It lasted less than a pack before it cooked.
20161008_223716_zpsnirkfdkb.jpg

On 6s you'll kill the brushes and comm in a hurry. That's a heavy load for that little motor getting so much voltage shoved down its throat.

Grab a sub 3500 kv brushless setup. I'm a fan of trackstar stuff as I have been running a 150A esc for a couple years now without a hitch. But really most any popular brand setup will do the job lightyears better than that brushed unit is capable of.

Brushed motors don't usually get that warm.
Well I've seen plenty brushed motors get so hot they die.

Usually because it was geared too tall.

The motor yer showing me with the burnt com/winds.
Was that a HH's brushed motor ?

You just trying to dissuade me... or do you really know what's up ?

Maybe I'll install my pos 55 Axial motor see how long that survives...
before prematurely destroying my HH 35t TM.

Guess I'll have to inquire with JRH to see if any motor he has might hold up.

Just a short run for me to see... Not planning on running it all day.

But I've never had an issue running 35t using 3s all day long.
And others have stated they run 4s without issue or extreme heat problems.

On 6s you'll kill the brushes and comm in a hurry. That's a heavy load for that little motor getting so much voltage shoved down its throat.

Grab a sub 3500 kv brushless setup. I'm a fan of trackstar stuff as I have been running a 150A esc for a couple years now without a hitch. But really most any popular brand setup will do the job lightyears better than that brushed unit is capable of.
Well then I'll likely need purchase a sensored ESC to boot.

So 6s is just too much... maybe I'll have to bump down to 4s then ?

Last edited:
Well then I'll likely need purchase a sensored ESC to boot.

So 6s is just too much... maybe I'll have to bump down to 4s then ?

I run a 2350 4 pole sensored 1/8 scale motor on 4s in my beater. That combination will destroy your rig. With big power comes big responsibility. :lol: My beater weighs over 7 lbs and I was launching it out of a canal today high enough that I bent a shock shaft.

Brushless is a much different world than you're used to. A 3000 kv 4 pole sensored motor on 3s will do more than you're looking for.

Last edited:
I run a 2350 4 pole sensored 1/8 scale motor on 4s in my beater. That combination will destroy your rig. With big power comes big responsibility. :lol: My beater weighs over 7 lbs and I was launching it out of a canal today high enough that I bent a shock shaft.

Brushless is a much different world than you're used to. A 3000 kv 4 pole sensored motor on 3s will do more than you're looking for.
I'm sure I could adapt if my bank were more luxurious.

Guess I was just looking for a 30 sec. hop up.

Switch from a parallel to a series harness for a short thrill run.

I'm good with my reliable brushed 3s set up... just got an itch to see what happens if it got a voltage boost !?

prolly still will. ...just to see what smokes ;-)

I didn't read all that but, just buy a Holmes 550 $20 motor and run it on 3S. Only motor I got that can take 6S is a 14 turn Cobalt Puller.

Which is in a different world.

You say your bank isn't luxurious but then you're still going to try it even though you risk certain failure on a not so cheap Holmes motor? Not sure that makes much sense.

check the input voltage of the motor if it's good for 6s u have a chance that it will survive.
I have ordered 2 cheap ones from rc4wd 35t and 55t for testing (35T 540 Crawler Brushed Motor 35T ) they are rated up to 30V operating voltage. Only planning to run 3s. But if u want 6s i would give these a chance, better than toasting a HH.

check the input voltage of the motor if it's good for 6s u have a chance that it will survive.
I have ordered 2 cheap ones from rc4wd 35t and 55t for testing (35T 540 Crawler Brushed Motor 35T ) they are rated up to 30V operating voltage. Only planning to run 3s. But if u want 6s i would give these a chance, better than toasting a HH.

I destroyed a rc4wd 35t in about an hour on 3s

It's a $15 non-rebuildable can, put about a 9t pinion on it and expect to kill it. I run the exact same motor in a 9lbs class 1 on 4s through the same ESC, with a 14t pinion. So figure higher volts, and huge tires, get that pinion as small as possible. Maybe even get a bigger spur, and have fun. For possibly a short while, lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've seen folk fry their rc4wd motors using 2s.
Some times ya get a decent one, while other times it fails prematurely regardless.
Hit or miss proposition at best.

---------

Rjohn929

A brushless/sensor type system will likely cost me three bills...
a cheap throw away motor costs maybe $ 20.

That's quite a bit difference in luxury spending for a 2 minute thrill. JMO.

Think I'll try 4s and a low dollar throw away motor first and see what happens.

When I smoke the budget brushed motor... I'll possibly have learned my lesson ;-)

----------

Anyone know the max input voltage of the HH's TM 35t expt ?
I can't seem to find those voltage specs on the HH's website.

Tho' I'd guess it's as much voltage as any rc4wd motor could handle.

there is a guy we crawl with has 2 brood brushed motors in his moa car and runs 4s. car works really well obvious only for short run times 6min and rarely w.o.t put does get on it here and there. like most stated earlier brushless and 3 cell or brushed and 3s if budget does not work.always can look in for sale here on rcc there is always deals.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I run 4s on all my rigs and everything is fine. My crawlers are fine for hours on end and the beater is brushless so it is solid too.

That holmes motor will be fine on 4s with correct gearing.

'nother quick question if someone might know.

would a Traxxas 21 T Titan 550 motor rated for 16.8v use
have a more optimistic chance of surviving short term 6s use ?

cheap purchase if it might endure a little longer then a 540 might.

Gear the holmes motor down and run it. That 21 turn motor will haul ass right up until it fries pushing that heavy pig of yours around.

welp

I received my CC's series harness in the mail today.

Plugged it in first using dual 2s LiPo batteries just to see what would happened.

No problems to report... torque increase was an improvement no doubt.
But I just couldn't stop with testing solely 4s voltage... so...

Plugged in my dual 3s LiPo's for their combined 6s power.
Now it qualifies as being torque excessive ! :twisted:

It has rolled a lot farther then the chicken little claim of the motor burning up in 10ft. That didn't happen.

In fact... the HH's 35t 540 barely became warm when running it on 6s geared low and at crawler speeds ( 1 - 6 mph) for a few minutes.
Wasn't an instant motor death anyways.

But the voltage increase using 6s could possibly see lesser quality motors short lived.
Overkill maybe but pushes my 12 lb crawler along swimmingly.
And if 3s did it acceptably... 6s qualifies as insanity !? Lol

6s voltage pushes 12 lbs around like it weighs 2 lbs 8)

Tho' I'll suppose if it were geared too tall or driven in wild abandon...
something has got to give. ( probably a mechanical failure first tho' )

Think I'll install one of my low budget motors and see if that smokes.
Or purchase one of the Traxxas 21T Titan motors to destroy instead of using my HH's 35T expt motor.
I'd like to hold onto this motor for my 3s use.

In all fairness I wouldn't expect the motor brushes to survive that voltage for too long...
But it wasn't an immediate death as some would have suggested.

Bottom line... the HH's TM 35T expt 540 still lives and 6s didn't kill it "thumbsup"

Back