• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Heavy RC crawler, based off of Exceed Max Torque

danielbuck

I'm making a 1/6th scale Willys Jeep with a full metal (steel) body, and an Exceed Max Torque chassis, which I have left almost entirely un-altered. It's a bit different than most crawlers, because of the heavy weight. (I haven't weighed it, but it's not light)

I've been very pleased with the Exceed, except for the assortment of plastic parts. I've already got new knuckles on order (aluminum) to get me by for the mean time. I'd love to find metal rod ends for the control arms and steering arms. Are there any that are the same size, but steel/aluminum?

And my bigger/longer term question, I'm wondering if anyone knows of an MOA axle housing assembly that is made out of metal (aluminum or steel, doesn't matter) that would fit the Exceed? The knuckle mount holes are starting to get stripped and oblonged. and the steering servo mounts flex while steering. Would something like this work, a set of Super Bully axles? http://store.rc4wd.com/Super-Bully-Comp-Axle-with-Knuckles-_p_490.html if I had to get new wheels, that would not be a deal breaker.

I'm also looking for a stronger steering servo (more powerful). The weight of the body, and the large washers I have stuffed into the wheels for weight are making the steering struggle while climbing obstacles. How do I tell what servos will be stronger than the factory Exceed steering?

Here's the project, it's my first RC car, I probably should have chosen a different platform/chassis to start with, but I'm kind of committed to it based on the modifications I've had to do to the body to make it fit. Just got started welding the roll cage up.

rc_cage_01.jpg

Last edited:
for something like that, I'd look into any servo over 300oz torque. savox 1230, hitec 7955,7950 etc. as far as I know there are no aluminum exceed axles, as frankly that stuff isnt made to last, or really be upgraded at all. better luck finding a set of bully, or xr10 axles if you must keep the moa design.

X2, but I would go even higher on servo specs, such as Hitec HS-7950TG, HS-7980TG (little larger physically too, might not fit where you want it).

Ok, I have a set of bully axles on order, they are a tad bit wider than what I want, but I think I can remedy that with different offset wheels.

Thanks for the info on the steering servos. Do I need to upgrade my battery for this? And since I don't mind extra weight, is there a way to run two batteries at once, for extended use and/or more power?

Sorry if these are noob questions, I'm new to RC stuff, and small electronics in general.

Batteries should be ok if they were working before, what are they?

Yes, different offset wheels if they are available, or different hubs, or narrow some wheels yourself.

Yes, buy or make an adapter wiring harness (short peice with three plugs) to run in parallel.

Battery is the stock battery that came with the Exceed, which is a 7.2V 3300mAh Ni-mh

If running two batteries in parallel gives me extended life/range, then I'll do that for sure. I'd like to get some more time without having to stop and charge, or stop and swap out a battery.

The harness that I mentioned will work for that, you didn't say but stock it shows that battery comes with HXT connector. I have switched all my Dean's connectors to XT60 like come on most Hobbyking Turnigy lipos, they are superior, compact and cheap. You might switch your plugs at the same time.

XT60 parallel harness
XT60 Harness for 2 Packs in Parallel (1pc)

Deans (T-Connector)
T-Connector Harness for 2 Packs in Parallel (1pc)

HXT4mm Battery Harness 14AWG for 2 Packs in Parallel
HXT4mm Battery Harness 14AWG for 2 Packs in Parallel

Hey Daniel, put up a build thread on this beast in the "Large Scale Rigs" section, there's a bunch of us that have 1/6 scale jeeps there."thumbsup"

Hey Daniel, put up a build thread on this beast in the "Large Scale Rigs" section, there's a bunch of us that have 1/6 scale jeeps there."thumbsup"

I've not really taken many photos, I'll take some more, and start a thread :)

Back