• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HARDKNOCKZ Baby Mantis Build...Round #2

Alright guys...sorry for the big delay. Got WAY busier than I thought I'd get with my shop & figured with the season winding down...I'd get some bench time in. Between all of the club finals, Axial comps, Pacific Coast Championship & the building of a new 2.2 chassis...swamped would be an understatement.

I've received a buncha PM's about this lil turd. She's still on the bench at about 75% complete. After the PCC...I should have the time to finish, test & tune her.

So keep yer balls peeled.

J.D.

You should totally build it up and run it at PCC to... But I guess since you are sponsored by Chaotic You kinda have a commitement to them.... Can't wait to see it built though. My bro just sold his :(

I'm deff up on this.. waiting to see it done.. I saw one running at the last comp I was at, 2 weeks ago.. a guy from eparccrawler.. all black with red outlines an black vp wheels with red rings, not to mention it was a replica of his 2.2 moa.. sick! I have a white 2.2 mantis chassis moa myself an can't wait to see this mini done! I just got into 1.9 for the last comp an it was thrown together an not tested till at the comp.. what a flop.. since then upgrades an a build thread on its way.. again, can't wait to see ur turd done!

I'm deff up on this.. waiting to see it done.. I saw one running at the last comp I was at, 2 weeks ago.. a guy from eparccrawler.. all black with red outlines an black vp wheels with red rings, not to mention it was a replica of his 2.2 moa.. sick! I have a white 2.2 mantis chassis moa myself an can't wait to see this mini done! I just got into 1.9 for the last comp an it was thrown together an not tested till at the comp.. what a flop.. since then upgrades an a build thread on its way.. again, can't wait to see ur turd done!

That one was my bro's before :) It was tuned really well and had lots of the best stuff for it. There wasn't really anything you could do to it. BTW how did you do in the comp?

Hey what's up, thats cool info, yeah he said the guy he got it from said it was a prototype an they may not be made... I had ups an downs.. I said up top, I have a mantis moa, its not My main rig tho.. I run a paradox'd creeper running dig... I had drive shaft problems on tFe one course an timed out another, since got MIPS for the front.. like 17th, 1.9 which was a gc chassis with droop rear. I broke a universal in my drive shaft on one course an timed out another, since then, full upgrades! WHich will be coming later in a build thread here.. like 7th.. my scaler was great an saved me! Scx-10 xj, 8th in the poker/dash run an best hand an 2nd in the class 2.. only to be beat by scale points.. but 3rd overall.. so not bad for my second comp.. yeah that mini mantis was bad a$$.. my.02 was it looked better cause it was a mini of his 2.2..

Hey what's up, thats cool info, yeah he said the guy he got it from said it was a prototype an they may not be made... I had ups an downs.. I said up top, I have a mantis moa, its not My main rig tho.. I run a paradox'd creeper running dig... I had drive shaft problems on tFe one course an timed out another, since got MIPS for the front.. like 17th, 1.9 which was a gc chassis with droop rear. I broke a universal in my drive shaft on one course an timed out another, since then, full upgrades! WHich will be coming later in a build thread here.. like 7th.. my scaler was great an saved me! Scx-10 xj, 8th in the poker/dash run an best hand an 2nd in the class 2.. only to be beat by scale points.. but 3rd overall.. so not bad for my second comp.. yeah that mini mantis was bad a$$.. my.02 was it looked better cause it was a mini of his 2.2..

How did the Wicked Cricket do? The Wicked Cricket is still in testing phase but is going to be produced. Don can correct me if I'm wrong :)

Wicked cricket.... The mini torsion chassis? I'm not sure, I only got to see him run one course.. it did good as far as I can say..

It placed 6th, I did some checking.. but I didn't get to see it run all 3 course to know why or how it did.. looks sweet tho, an cj said he loves the way it works.. maybe just a bad day for him.

Lol, I'm the only one in central PA... Out of six of us.. Epa has Atleast 10... Which is the club that throws the comp I was at.. almost 2hr away an the closest comp around.. hoping to start comping more tho, when I can find them..
Should we move this to my thread or urs?

Lol, I'm the only one in central PA... Out of six of us.. Epa has Atleast 10... Which is the club that throws the comp I was at.. almost 2hr away an the closest comp around.. hoping to start comping more tho, when I can find them..
Should we move this to my thread or urs?

I don't care mine is bigger :mrgreen:

Glad this thread can be your chit chat forum Ev. :roll:

Yeah...PCC's over & I'm squeezing some time in to get this little turd rollin.

This is actually the Baby Mantis. Norm from Team 3six coined the term wicked Cricket but last talk with Don from BWD lead me to believe he was stickin with the Baby Mantis.

As far as actual production? Couldn't tell you but I'm thinking maybe down the road. Don has a TON on his plate & just suffered a GREAT loss. My heart goes out to him & his family.

So...I can't even remember where I left off on this thread & suppose I could go back & look but here's the latest...

Sorry the pics are butt...

Finished the front axle...

2012-07-04235335.jpg

I did the Dlux LCC mod with Losi alum C's, knucks & stubs. I'm also running the Dlux MRC shock & link mounts which makes the transition smooove.

Of course the Dlux LCC knuck weights & Felsenfast hub extensions round em off. Erik at Dlux has really created some KILLER products for almost ANY crawler so if ya haven't had the chance to check out his site...then get on it here...DLUX FAB | Products

2012-07-04235404.jpg

OTA steering link is a HEAVILY modified AX piece that Papabash turned me onto & after some cutting, bending, sanding, massaging & LOOOVING...it's a great fit. I still need to figure out a drag link but that'll be easy enough.

Servo mount is a BWD "Basic Aluminum MRC Servo Mount" but I don't think Don really does ANYTHING basic.

2012-07-04235325.jpg

As far as internals...Traxxas Mini Revo pinion handles the OD duties. Lockers are RCBros badass aluminum dealies that all but eliminate that sloppy sloppiness. Another great product from RCBros "thumbsup"

Like I said awhile back...this is gonna be a slow build. I know, I know...If it went any slower, I'd be UNbuilding it but I'm doin what I can.

I've set aside a little time between my 2.2 builds...both 2.2s & 2.2s PRO, filming, painting, being sick, raising kids etc etc etc. Rear axle's almost done. I'm playing with some UD gears so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Thanks for hangin in there. It WILL get done & it WILL get done SOON.

J.D.

Oh man, that axle is SICK! Nice parts list! Now when all said an done, ur still inside the 8" wheel base? I have some 15mm wideners but not sure it will keep me inside. The 8" track width.. man, the knuckle weights are bad a$$.. can't wait to see the mini torsion chassis done an sitting on the axles!

Lookin' good, JD, glad to see it getting some love again. "thumbsup"
Sorry the steering link gave you so much trouble, guess I got lucky modifying the ones I've done. Now get busy and get this thing finished, those other rigs can wait.... :mrgreen:

Lookin' good, JD, glad to see it getting some love again. "thumbsup"
Sorry the steering link gave you so much trouble, guess I got lucky modifying the ones I've done. Now get busy and get this thing finished, those other rigs can wait.... :mrgreen:

SSSSSHHHHHH....I was just makin everyone THINK it was hard. It actually wasn't bad at all. Thanks again for the tip "thumbsup"

J.D.

Back