• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HARDKNOCKZ Baby Mantis Build...Round #2

Don't you use axles? :lmao: Looks good those are definetly sick rims

Nah...axles just get in the way. I use my telepathic powers to keep the wheels at 8.5" & drive the car with my mind.

Those wheels are sick!!!"thumbsup"

Looking good punkin!

Talk to you soon

Marc

Thanks skittle nipples. You always know JUST what to say to make me a happy fellar. Wheres my shizzy???

Here's the Baby Mantis chassis assembled. The small piece at the rear is the tail mount that screws into the rear axle case...then the chassis tail. This piece is pretty stout since it replaces the rear shocks & upper links.

Attachments

• 2012-04-16 00.30.01.jpg
    2012-04-16 00.30.01.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 702
  • 2012-04-16 00.32.41.jpg
    2012-04-16 00.32.41.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 711
Nah...axles just get in the way. I use my telepathic powers to keep the wheels at 8.5" & drive the car with my mind.

I've been working on that, but can't seem to quite get it.......... maybe you can give me some pointers some time?

BTW, the build is looking good bro, I'm glad to see you doing this. "thumbsup"

The white is definetly my favorite for minis. Looks like it uses a lot of the same parts as the low-pro like the skid and I think the cab... then it's just the sideplates that are different it looks like. BTW were did you get your steering link from? I like it...

Hmmm, I thought papa was gonna want a cf and ti 4 link baby mantis with a mini PX trans on board. :)

Could I get one of these? :ror:

I've been working on that, but can't seem to quite get it.......... maybe you can give me some pointers some time?

BTW, the build is looking good bro, I'm glad to see you doing this. "thumbsup"

It's just something that can't be taught grasshopper. Maybe someday, you too will snatch the pebble from masters hand. Wow...that's even too corny for ME. See what kinda replies & posts ya get when I've been inhaling urethane paint fumes all day?

I'm stoked to be doing it too. I know Don has some VERY cool 1.9 shizzy comin down the pipe soon. He's only given me a little hint here, a tease there but from the sounds of things...Don may very well turn the mini class on its ear. Im stoked to build & run anything hes designed. I'm sure what he has in mind for you...is gonna BLOW this build outta the water tho. (couldn't decide whether to throw the "thumbsup" smiley guy here...or the "flipoff"...ya lucky bastard)

The white is definetly my favorite for minis. Looks like it uses a lot of the same parts as the low-pro like the skid and I think the cab... then it's just the sideplates that are different it looks like. BTW were did you get your steering link from? I like it...

Could I get one of these? :ror:

Yea...Im not sure if those parts are exact matches are not but it's a definite possibilty.

The steering link is a custom job that my brutha from anutha turned me onto. I haven't gotten that far yet so I'm not quite sure how much customizing it's gonna take to make her work...but there'll definitely be some time into makin her turn.

And I cant help you with the CF 4 linked BM. I've been planning all along to 4-link the prototype Baby Mantis Don gave me in Vegas but gotta get this turd workin 1st & wait for Don to get me a skid. He's a busy dude. He does A LOT more than most people realize. I wont go into details since it's not my place but I'll say that I'm proud to have a cat like him in our little sport.

Anyhoo...I gotta a pretty good jump on this throughout the day. The front axle's done, links & tranny are built & the majority of the rear axle's mocked up. I'm workin on an underdrive mod that SHOULD make a pretty noticeable difference in steep climbs & tight turns. I got some pics along the way but its 1:00am & Im pooped so I'll get em up manananana.

J.D. be outty 5000 G!

It's just something that can't be taught grasshopper. Maybe someday, you too will snatch the pebble from masters hand. Wow...that's even too corny for ME. See what kinda replies & posts ya get when I've been inhaling urethane paint fumes all day?

Yeah, I'm thinkin' it's time to invest in a better respirator bro....................:mrgreen:

I know Don has some VERY cool 1.9 shizzy comin down the pipe soon. He's only given me a little hint here, a tease there but from the sounds of things...Don may very well turn the mini class on its ear. Im stoked to build & run anything hes designed. I'm sure what he has in mind for you...is gonna BLOW this build outta the water tho.
He is the master chassis designer, for sure. I can't wait to see what's coming!

(couldn't decide whether to throw the "thumbsup" smiley guy here...or the "flipoff"...ya lucky bastard)
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

:lmao:

I'm stoked to be doing it too. I know Don has some VERY cool 1.9 shizzy comin down the pipe soon. He's only given me a little hint here, a tease there but from the sounds of things...Don may very well turn the mini class on its ear. Im stoked to build & run anything hes designed. I'm sure what he has in mind for you...is gonna BLOW this build outta the water tho. (couldn't decide whether to throw the "thumbsup" smiley guy here...or the "flipoff"...ya lucky bastard)

Ya I've talked to him and he has some sweet stuff coming out for mini's He could help revive it. There are lots of guys out there building chassis for 1.9 but they've stopped making them because they say that the 1.9 class is dying and they think it will soon be dead.

Yea...Im not sure if those parts are exact matches are not but it's a definite possibilty.

Well I wouldn't be surprised at all :) it would make it much easier for him :)

The steering link is a custom job that my brutha from anutha turned me onto. I haven't gotten that far yet so I'm not quite sure how much customizing it's gonna take to make her work...but there'll definitely be some time into makin her turn.

Hmmmm maybe if I do the LCC conversion he could make me one....

And I cant help you with the CF 4 linked BM. I've been planning all along to 4-link the prototype Baby Mantis Don gave me in Vegas but gotta get this turd workin 1st & wait for Don to get me a skid. He's a busy dude. He does A LOT more than most people realize. I wont go into details since it's not my place but I'll say that I'm proud to have a cat like him in our little sport.

I was just kidding you :razz: He is definetly busy and yet he takes time and responds to my emails....I can't imagine running a company like that all by myself. Although it would have a really fun side to it :ror:

Anyhoo...I gotta a pretty good jump on this throughout the day. The front axle's done, links & tranny are built & the majority of the rear axle's mocked up. I'm workin on an underdrive mod that SHOULD make a pretty noticeable difference in steep climbs & tight turns. I got some pics along the way but its 1:00am & Im pooped so I'll get em up manananana.

J.D. be outty 5000 G!

I thought you said you weren't running axles :lmao::ror::lmao::ror::lmao::ror: What are you doing up so late anyway?

Last edited:
man i want one of those!! cant wait to see a build of one of these completed.

it would look great next to my 2.2...hint hint

LOL! I WISH!!!! I've been wanting to try one of these babies for months!

BTW Papabash already has 4 dozen minis in his garage he doesn't need another, what you need is a 1.9 mantis down here to compete with his low pro.... you can justify it for comparison testing.

BTW Papabash already has 4 dozen minis in his garage he doesn't need another, what you need is a 1.9 mantis down here to compete with his low pro.... you can justify it for comparison testing.

LOL! I would love to pit them side-by-side! "thumbsup"

Last edited:
Sorry wasn't trying to derail...

Really interested to see how much flex you actually get out of the rear torsion.
The 2.2 has alot more chassis outback to flex, and alot heavier axles to move it around. Doesn't look like there is a large amount of chassis behind the skid to twist.

I actually prefer a fairly stiff rig with not a lot of articulation. So I am hoping it is fairly stiff although I know as you run it and break it in you will get more.

Sorry guys...we have a badass 2 day comp this weekend Ive been tryin to get ready for. Saturday's our regular competition crawler comp with 2.2 Pro, Sportys, Supers & 1.9's & Sunday is a Wraith Easter egg hunt type a dealio. So I've been sidetracked from the little turd to FINALLY finish the Wraith kit I was given 4 months ago. Shes running now but got some tuning to do.

Axials own OG crazy cat Parker is comin out the end of next month for a SERIOUSLY SICK Axial G6 comp. I'll basically be crawlin from 8am until midnight. We'll be running a class called the Rock Riot that I guess is a 30 minute or so comp course. We'll have the G6 stuff of course & some Wraith fun. I can't really post links from my dumb smartphone but check it out under the "comp section" here. Our club is WCRCC or West Coast RC Crawlers. I'm super excited for the next coupla months! We have 4 or 5 comps between the 3 clubs I run. Somewhere in there, I'll finish this little build.

J.D.

And What's happened with this now J.D.? I haven't seen you around much in the past few days...

Shops a little busy. Gotta design & paint 30 pcs of kustom coffee tables made from old car parts.

Got the Axial Malvado comp comin up quick so Im TRYIN to get all of my scale rigs back together & workin again.

Not to mention running my 2.2 & mini in 3 clubs.

I'll get back on her soon tho.

J.D.

Shops a little busy. Gotta design & paint 30 pcs of kustom coffee tables made from old car parts.

Got the Axial Malvado comp comin up quick so Im TRYIN to get all of my scale rigs back together & workin again.

J.D.

If you send me the parts I can put it together for you and test it :mrgreen:

J.D.

Dang, dude, I'm worn out just reading this! :shock:

Back